Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert Current Date into SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamy

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
SG
Hi,
I would like to insert current date (in dd/mm/yyyy)format in the SQL Server.
Please teach me how to write the code.

sql = "INSERT INTO tbattendance([User],Email,TopicID,DateSubmitted,Dept) values('?','?','?','?','?')"
sql = Replace(sql, "?", Name, 1, 1)
sql = Replace(sql, "?", Email, 1, 1)
sql = Replace(sql, "?", TopicID, 1, 1)
sql = Replace(sql, "?", Current_Timestamp , 1, 1)
sql = Replace(sql, "?", Dept, 1, 1)

The Current_TimeStamp return a different format.

You are confusing the display format and the storage format. Dates are not stored as dd/mm/yyyy but rather as numerical values. You should use the current_timestamp function to store datetime values. To retrieve a date in a certain format use the convert function in your select statement.

You can use the logical like this...

DateSubmitted = CONVERT(varchar(10),Current_Timestamp, 103)

or you can use CAST. Please open "SQL Server Books Online" with the topic "CONVERT"

Kurniadi, Indonesia

Hi all,

I tried to change the coding to

sql = "INSERT INTO tbattendance([User],Email,TopicID,DateSubmitted,Dept) values('?','?','?','?','?')"
sql = Replace(sql, "?", convert(datetime,Current_Timestamp, 103),1,1)

but still doesn't work

Hi...
Shouldn't use DATETIME, but please use VARCHAR(10), in SQL Server is no problem.

And the important, please look at Regional Setting, change the SHORT DATE STYLE to dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy and please use 101 or 103 for anticipate SHORT DATE STYLE. For the current date, please use GETDATE(). I try it and everything is oke. Please try it with 101 or 103...

DateSubmitted = CONVERT(varchar(10),Current_Timestamp, 101)
DateSubmitted = CONVERT(varchar(10),Current_Timestamp, 103)
DateSubmitted = CONVERT(varchar(10),GETDATE(), 101)
DateSubmitted = CONVERT(varchar(10),GETDATE(), 103)

Kurniadi, Indonesia

Hi Kurniadi,

Tks for yr prompt reply. But I still having problem after trying out yr example.

================================================
Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
Type mismatch: 'varchar'
===================================================
The datatype that stored the current date in the SQL Table is datetime. Not sure if this is causing the problem

You shouldn't use convert when storing data. That's only relevant when retrieving data. Just use current_timestamp without any frills.

I have tried to current_timestamp. But the date capture is incorrect. For ex..if the current date is 27/2/3, it stored in the database as 1/1/1900...

That's because with you code your are attempting to store the value 'current_timestamp'.

sql = "INSERT INTO tbattendance([User],Email,TopicID,DateSubmitted,Dept) values('?','?','?',current_timestamp,'?')"

Hi SwampBoogie,

My coding works!!!!
Thanks for your great advise....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back