Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incompatible storage media error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjarrell

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
US
I posted this in the Storagetek forum, but I thought someone here may have an answer....

I have a Storagetek 9730 with 2-Quantum DLT7000 drives, 30 slots, 10 Sony DLT7000 tapes with bar codes inserted, Veritas 9.1 backup software with latest update and driver update installed, Win2003 Server.

Everything has installed just fine. I can see the tape library, drives and slots in the BackupExec software. In the device view I can see that BackupExec can read the barcode information on all the tapes correctly.

However, every time I try to format a tape (or access it in any other way) I get the following error:

"The job failed with the following error: Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library."

The robotic arm doesn't even move to check what type of "storage media" is in the library. I have unchecked "Use Barcode Rules" in accordance with the only tech document I could find on Veritas's site.

I have totally uninstalled and reinstalled everything from the ground up. The StorageTek unit seems to pass its own startup diagnostics just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Is anyone successfully using a StorageTek 9730 with Veritas BackupExec 9.1?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Steve

This might also be an issue:

Quantum DLT7000 drives, 30 slots, 10 Sony DLT7000 tapes

I have a DELL LTO library with HP tape drives. I bought some LTO tapes and they didn't work. Same error as you are seeing. I called the vendor and found that I needed to buy tapes designed for HP tape drives. (Not all tapes work in all tape drives even if they are the same format (DLT, LTO, etc)).

You are using Sony tapes in a Quantum drive, but are the tapes designed to work in a Quantum drive.

-SQLBill

sjarrell

A couple of things I can think of..

1. Are the barcodes the right ones for these tapes? Disabling barcodes rules should fix this though.
2. Take the barcodes off the tapes, run and inventory on them, then maybe an erase - if it all works, try a backup.
3. Change the following regkey - HKLM\Software\Veritas\backup Exec\Adamm\Enable Robotic Library tape drive release to 1 - restart the BE services.

>>I have a DELL LTO library with HP tape drives. I bought some LTO tapes and they didn't work. Same error as you are seeing. I called the vendor and found that I needed to buy tapes designed for HP tape drives. (Not all tapes work in all tape drives even if they are the same format (DLT, LTO, etc)).

You are using Sony tapes in a Quantum drive, but are the tapes designed to work in a Quantum drive.<<

I guess that could be, and it's certainly worth a try. However, since the robotic arm never picks the tape up to try to format it, it only knows what the barcode is telling it so I don't think it's the tape.

Thanks,

Steve

>>1. Are the barcodes the right ones for these tapes? Disabling barcodes rules should fix this though.<<

I believe so. DLT tapes are supposed to end in a "D" suffix which these do.

>>2. Take the barcodes off the tapes, run and inventory on them, then maybe an erase - if it all works, try a backup.<<

I'll try that. It appears as if Veritas is trying to apply barcode rules even though I have them turned off, and even though I've put rules in that cover these tapes, it still fails. Perhaps doing away with the barcodes altogether will do it.

>>3. Change the following regkey - HKLM\Software\Veritas\backup Exec\Adamm\Enable Robotic Library tape drive release to 1 - restart the BE services.<<

Tried it.... same error.

Thanks for your input!

Best regards,

Steve

>>2. Take the barcodes off the tapes, run and inventory on them, then maybe an erase - if it all works, try a backup.<<

Ok, I tried that. This time, it didn't get the incompatible media error.

I tried to erase the first tape. The robotic arm grabbed the tape, placed it in the tape drive, and it appeared to format it (the light flashed for about 2 or 3 minutes), then the drive released tape. However, when the robotic arm started to pick the tape up and return it to its slot, it moved into position, then moved up between the two drives and I got a hardware error that said something like "Library hardware error (scsi card, bus, library, etc.) and the drives were taken offline.

It appears as if I have some type of hardware related problem. I guess the first step would be to replace the scsi card (Adaptec 2944UW) and see if that fixes it??

Thanks,

Steve

sjarell

could be a number of things, but it does point to bad hardware.

Another question, has this worked at all in this configuration before?

Can the library be setup with different modes - ie. sequential or random mode - if it can, make sure it is in sequential mode.

>>could be a number of things, but it does point to bad hardware.<<

That's my take at this point.

>>Another question, has this worked at all in this configuration before?<<

No, I bought the unit used and I just purchased the Backup Exec 9.1 so it's a new setup.

>>Can the library be setup with different modes - ie. sequential or random mode - if it can, make sure it is in sequential mode.<<

I don't see that option in the documentation.

Thanks for the input!

Best regards,

Steve

Have you tried reinstalling the driver? (If you aren't already doing it, use the Veritas driver).

-SQLBill

>>Have you tried reinstalling the driver? (If you aren't already doing it, use the Veritas driver).<<

Yep. I have downloaded Veritas's latest device drivers and loaded them.

Thanks,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back