Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inaccurate Disk Space Shown

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMKenney

Programmer
Apr 2, 2003
GB
I have a Netware 5 Server with a 4gb volume on it. There is currently 1.5gb of data on the volume which means there should be 2.5gb free. However, Netware is saying there is only 750mb of data free. The problems started when I copied some data from the volume to a local PC and noticed that the disk space of the volume had reduced!!! I copied some more data from the server to the local PC and the space reduced some more! I stopped there! I have no idea why this is happening. I have started the server and may run a Vrepaor tomorrow. Anyone any idea why this is happening and what's happened to all my disk space???

What utility are you using to report the diskspace? Do you have compression enabled? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Compression was enabled but I'll have to check tomorrow if it still is. Could that be the answer then? I have recently upgraded all my workstations ( 50+ ) with McAfee Virus Scanner, but i think that that may be a red herring.

To check disk space I used dir form a MS-DOS prompt, checked the volume in Windows explorer and checked the server Monitor. I have run purge /all from a dos prompt but this did nothing.

If I right-click the volume in Windows Explorer the 'Compress Drive' box is unticked.

Thanks.

The true way to check the statistics is to right-click on the volume object in NetWare Administrator. DOS and Windows Explorer do tend to report the diskspace inaccuratly at times. Also, NDIR /VOL from a DOS prompt... -----------------------------------------------------

ndir /vol shows the following :-

Statistics for fixed volume FS_WAVS03/CFC:
Space statistics are in KB (1024 bytes).

Total volume space: 4,187,968 100.00%
Space used by 36,369 entries: 3,408,448 81.39%
Deleted space not yet purgeable: 0 0.00%
------------- --------
Space remaining on volume: 779,520 18.61%
Space available to .supervisor...: 779,520 18.61%

Maximum directory entries: 147,456
Available directory entries: 111,087 75.34%

Space used if files were not compressed: 932,352
Space used by compressed files: 201,216
-------------
Space saved by compressing files: 731,136 78.42%

Uncompressed space used: 3,237,312

Name spaces loaded: OS/2

Compression is ON. Can you tell me why the space used is reporting nearly 3.5gb but the 'space used if files were not compressed' shows under 1gb? This doesn't make sense? This means that if I switched compression OFF my available disk space would increase ... yes?! It's a 4gb drive and there's only about 1.5gb of data on it, so what's happened to my other 2gb?! I'm convinced it's something to do with McAfee because the problems started the morning after it was installed on 50 PC's. Any help guys would be much appreciated.

is that a traditional or an NSS volume ?
Further, check if any dir is manually flagged to IC (immediate compress)

Explanation:
Space saved by compressing files: 731,136 78.42%

You have 932,352Mb of files that have been compressed. They are currently using up 201,216Mb of space. This does not mean that all of your files are compressed as files are compressed if inactive for a period of time. If files are active on a daily basis, they do not get compressed.

Space remaining on volume: 779,520 18.61% ________________________________________________________

This tells you that you do indeed have 3.408Gb of data stored on your volume and you only have 779.520Mb left. -----------------------------------------------------

Something doesn't add up here!

In NWADMIN, it says there are 36,000 files on the volume. If I do a dir /s from a dos prompt, it only finds 21,000. Where can these other 15,000 files be and why can I not see them from dos when logged on as administrator?! Also, and even more spooky, when I right-click windows explorer, the 'pie' showing used & available disk space differs by 1gb to the 'pie' shown with NWADMIN.

As I said above, ignore Windows Explorer - it never has and never will report the diskspace properly on a NetWare server. Also, use NDIR not DIR as the results will also vary. If you are performing this on SYS, bear in mind that system files may not show up in DOS if they are hidden (especially if they are NDS files) -----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back