Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IMS and iPhone problem - any ideas? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmckeown

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
Hi,
We're running:
IP Office 412 v3.1 (65) with Integrated Messaging
Exchange 2003 with Active sync enabled

We are split about 50/50 between Mac OSX and Windows XP machines. IMS has worked fine for the last 2.5 years we have been using it. The voicemail is put in the users email inbox. No problems on Mac or PC. Just recently, the GM here decided he needed an iPhone 3G instead of the normal Blackberry 8830 that the rest of us use. The Blackerry devices get the IMS voicemail without a problem. We can even listen to it on the Blackberry. The iPhone 3G uses activesync to sync to the Exchange server. All contacts, calendar and emails come through fine except the IMS messages. They don't show up on the iPhone.

I'm pretty stumped right now. I've called AT&T and they said they will not support any activesync problem. I called Avaya and they said the iPhone is not an officially supported device, so no help there. I talked with Microsoft and they say activesync is working fine and offer no other help. I suppose I should next try calling Apple, but I'm wondering if any of you might be able to shed some light on this. I figure there must be some difference in the way IMS puts voicemail in an email inbox, thus causing activesync to not see the message.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Tom

Have you tried using IMS Admin -Mailbox properties for that user - override - send wave - send attached. You don't get direct integration with vm server, so messages can't be deleted or forwarded, but at least the user would be able to listen to the message.

Thanks for the idea. I do already have all users set to recieve an attached wave file. We don't use the embedded voicemail application because it doesn't work on Macs.

In mailbox properties of IMS admin tool, I have Access checked but not Admin. Will that make a difference? I'm not really sure what the Admin checkbox does. It looks like I need to do a bit more reading.

I am sure you up to date on all the complaints and issues with the iPhone 3G and this particular claim that it "works" with exchange. I would say iPhone issue, and wait until they fix the problems. I know the active problem Apple is chasing is reception and 3rd party apps, so I wouldn't hold you breath that this is something that will be on the top of the priority list.

I dont't think that it is an iPhone issue. Our windows mobile powered phones have the same issue with pushing IMS messages via activesync. I tried it also attaching the voicemail to the email with no success. They don't show up on windows mobile devices.
I think it's because IMS uses a special message type even then you attach the voicemail to the email.

lue1be1
That's exactly what I was thinking. I figured that that IMS must move the email into the users inbox in such a way that it would not be seen as a new message that needs to be pushed. It's really good to hear that it doesn't work on other mobile devices. At least we're not fighting with Apple on this.

I did call Avaya support and they didn't have many answers. They wanted to blame it on Apple. They did say that "possibly" the new version of IP Office 4.2 with UMS might have an effect on it. I'm very hesitant to modify a functional phone system. I'm sure there have been enough changes since 3.1 that our users and receptionists will complain.

We tried this with IP Office 4.2 & 4.1. Avaya will not release a new version of IMS because of the new UMS which uses it's own IMAP Server.

I've heard they are switching to UMS. I wonder if it is an upgrade from IMS or if it has to be purchased separate. I don't know much about it. Time for more reading.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I created a workaround by forwarding all messages from IMS to a dummy user account, AS AN ATTACHMENT and then the dummy account forwards it right back to the user.

The user now gets the voicemail as an attachment.

Has anyone had any update on this issue? I can get the work around to work that Cepolly mentioned, but I am curious if anyone has any update on this topic. I am running VM Pro 3.2.30.

As a very infrequent user of this site, I also cannot figure out how to get back to this post without going thru google. When I search within the tek-tips site, I get mixed results, either nothing found or hundreds of items found for a search of "Avaya IMS iPhone".

Search "IP Office" IMS iPhone.

Never seen thi sthread before but I wonder why these people are running IMS if they don't have the new/read/delete functionality that IMS is actually for!!!

Stop using IMS and just try using VM>email in the voicemail tab of each user. That may work better.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I've tried the email options in the voicemail tab in Manager and it didn't seem to do anything- maybe I'm missing something here. As far as the new/read/delete function of the IMS client, I have users that prefer to just use the email interface and don't care about synching Outlook and their phone VM's. In fact, the IMS client makes Outlook run so slow (even lockup sometimes), that we are not running the IMS client on most people's PC's.

I suppose the "forward" option in manager would be the ideal solution for the problem users that I have. I will need to look into getting that to work. My guess is that it will not forward to the iphone for the same mysterious reason that the IMS Admin app won't, but I won't know for sure until I try.

Stop IMS services and siable them (or unistall them).

If you are running IMS now, VM Pro should be setup for MAPI, which should be fine. Check VM Pro settings in Control Panel.

Just set an email address for the user and select the option required.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back