Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Important question Should I stay with Avaya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irvineguy

MIS
Feb 7, 2006
US
I've been working on an Avaya platform for 2 years and I have the opportunity to work with a open source VOIP solution.

I'm not sure if I should stick with Avaya and increase my knowledge (on a none VOIP platform) or go to the open source VOIP solution which will give me more work experience on the data/ network side.

I was just reading this and found it kind of funny. Just to let you techma1, new techs are going to be more ip savy then MOST, not all, older techs who worked on old tdm and analog phones all there lives. With new technology, you need to be aware of what is in between your phone and the pbx now. You can't just run a cable to the 66 block and punch it down and expect it to work. If you want to work in telecom in the future you are going to want to keep up with new technology. And new techs fresh out of school are the ones that are going to be fresh with technology and YOU are the one going to be asking them for help wether you like it or not. Anyone can learn to administer any type of switch with a little training. But learning the technology and standards behind it is what is going to be needed.

Thank you all for your input. I decided to stick with Avaya, increase my knowledge on that platform and do the Cisco CCNA.

this is a really great post, props to you all. I'm going to do CCNA too! I feel like data is so much more important now that Avaya et all have changed the technology so drastically, the bridge between voice and data is a hard one to cross but imagine how valuable i'd be if I knew both. Thanks all!

Avaya isn't cheap, but for many applications it's simply the best solution. Also, if you are interested in unified messaging and leveraging Microsoft's new solutions, Avaya's among the better ones in terms of integration and development. All platforms have their advocates, but for serious telephony, especially if you support call centers, it's hard to go wrong with Avaya.

Tell you all, it was a very though decision, that opportunity I declined was with a very good company. But I just felt that putting my next years of my career working on a open source platform would not take me far and the knowledge wouldn't be easily transferable to another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back