Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Image a BCM 4.0 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfall

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
CA
Hi pros,

Has anyone ever successfully used ghost to make a new BCM 4.0 Hard drive using the 3 CDs came with the 4.0? Does the parameters for 3.7 image still works for 4.0?

Like to hear your achivements.

Thanks.

Always learn from someone, something and somewhere......
Michael C

Not had a problem so far i use the following:

ghost -clone,MODE=load,SRC=R:\40GA_BIT.GHO,DST=2,SZEE -ntchkdsk -sure -auto

Replace R:\ parts with the correct drive and image file name.

Then install the disk and fully patch it, then take an image of the new patched disk and use that.

Thanks CyberX, Hopefully there is no potential issue when need to upgrade 4.0 to 5.0 down the road.
Your DST=2 means you connected new HD as a slave drive, is that right?
Thanks again, let me have a try.

MC

Cant remember now, think it was the secondary IDE bus i had it on.

I got problem CYberX! It was going fine until the disk3 is done, GHOST still asking to put another span volume disk in, seems like there suppost to be a CD4 has a file named TUX20003.GHS. And the system partition only finished 7/8.

I only have the set of 3CDs BCM4.023 image. Have you never had this situation before?

MC

Also I found you said your image name is 40GA_BIT.GHO, but my 1st CD has the file name is TUX203A.GHO, the other 2 are TUX20001.ghs and TUX20002.GHS.

MC

Hmm never had that problem before sorry. Yeah the image name was just an example i could not remember the actual file name. But TUX20002.GHS should be your last disk.

I boot to DOS from a boot cd then put my ghost cd in and run the command, off it goes.

Or just use the BiT and never have to worry about mucking about with Ghost. It's only about $100.

We have the BIT software, but I remember last time when we used it, had to call Nortel to open a case then they can generate the access code for us, and that costs a lot. That is why a lot people want to use Ghost bypass BIT.

MC

you can generate the access code on krs now with out a nortel case similar to generating a keycode

I saw the new item at Nortel Web about BIT code thing, but I never tried. So that means it is free now for using BIT, is that right?
Thanks 66brian for the info, has anyone use it ever?

MC

You never had to pay Nortel to genereate a BiT unlock code.

I haven't tried the BIT tool yet, because it needs a BCM to run.
But I do apoplogize for this post, because I tried use another PC do the Ghost, same procedure, did not fail, 3CDs mkde it. Don't know why it happened last time.

MC

MichaelCC:

Have you tried the Cloned Drive to see if it works in a BCM?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I haven't tried it yet.
But I'm positive it gonna work, even the faulty one I made the first time, it booted up with linux.
I will let you all know once I connected it to a BCM. This is a weekend, so I don't have BCM with me.

MC

If you generate the code on KRS it is case sensitive but it works great I have used it several times.

So 66Brian, am I understanding right here, you connected a CD-Rom to a BCM400, used BIT booted BCM, and followed the steps, generated access code from KRS base on the UID you got from BIT., and then you can get BCM 4.0 image to the HDD?
Thanks for your help.

MC

yes, I connected an IDE cd rom used a bit generator on Nortels KRS and reimaged takes about 20 minutes with an IDE cd rom and another 45 minutes to do the platform init.

don't forget if it's 3.x to change your year to 2007 before you do the platform init.

I've used KRS several times now works great but it is Case sensitive it will generate a false access code if you enter it incorrect on krs.

Appreciate your great experience and all the details 66Brian.
I still remember the first time I was using BIT via a external USB CD-ROM, God, took me more than an hour to do the image. :(

MC

While you can use 3rd party imaging tools to duplicate a hard drive, this is not officially supported by Nortel.

There are, however, approved Nortel images and imaging tools for use on the BCM. The images stretch from 3.6 to 4.0, and the imaging tool is called BCM Imaging Tool, or BIT for short.

It can be ordered with a Nortel part number. The only downside is that using BIT on a BCM for the first time requires a unique keycode for that system which must be requested from Global Nortel Technical Support (GNTS).

Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back