Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm saying mostly goodbye 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipVought

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
It's Past Time

I'm 4 weeks from the fifth anniversary of my layoff/retirement from my job. I was planning to retire on July 1, 2014. I had dodged the bullet so many times over the previous 50 years. Turns out, I got a very nice severance, so I really could not complain at age 72.

I really enjoyed my work. Supported MRP scheduling where the organization used Excel heavily. As a former Lotus 1-2-3 and Quattro Pro user, I began using Excel in the early 1990s and became excited to discover VBA in the package.

Then discovered I could query databases via the Oracle Transparent Gateway using ODBC. And on top of that, I encountered a former Microsoft employee that knew VBA and the Excel Object Model and was able to be personally tutored. I began to excel in Excel.

Then discovered Tek-Tips in 2001 and that opened my horizons. I credit this site with greatly aiding my career. I've enjoyed learning and sharing here. Thanks Dave and the Tek-Tips staff for creating and enhancing the site for this great community. Wish I could personally thank each member who helped me along the way over the past 18 years.

However, I'm not working in Excel and databases every day as I was 5 years ago and I find myself loosing my technical edge. So I'm hangin' up my spikes. Gonna get out before I thoroughly embarrass myself and leave macropod, strongm, combo, kjv1611, mintjulep, MakeItSo and Andrzejek to reach new levels of tip-meisterism.

Meanwhile, I am avidly pursuing personal study in Christian apologetics and theology. If any of you might care to contact me, you may do so via the FAQs feature here, open one of my FAQs and click the Send a Comment to SkipVought About This FAQ link near the bottom.

May each excel in Excel.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Hey Skip,

You've provided great service to the Tek-Tips community over the years. Your contributions will be sorely missed.

I wish you all the best with your studies - which are akin to my own - and their application to daily life. A couple of refs for you:
Ps 1:1-3
2 Tim 2:15
John 17:3

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

@Paul,

1) memorized chapter at age 5
2) lately have been driven to be a better student of The Word
3) it is here and ongoing!

Keep The Faith.

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

@Deniall & Denial@Eng-Tips,

Thx.

Skip,
[sub]

Sad to see you go.

You have been over the years an inspiration to many on this forum and your knowledge and guidance will be missed.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Say it ain't so! I've learned lots from you over the years. Best of everything in the future Skip!

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

You will be missed. I have learned a lot from you. Of course if you get bored and want to pop in from time to time. I am sure no one will complain.

Of course the study of the Word will be good for the soul :)

I am honored and humbled to be mentioned by you in such nice company of other TT’ers. Over the years the help you have offered here was always well prepared and presented, and you guided many of us to interesting solution to our issues. Your help will never be forgotten. Good luck on your future endeavors no matter what they will be.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Your knowledge, prolificacy and patience over the years have been a constant here and on Eng-Tips over the years.

I've learned a lot by reading your replies and engaging in dialog.

For what it's worth, I don't see that your edge has dulled at all.

I'm just an unskilled hacker, not sure how I managed to deserve mention at all here, but I'm honored that you did.

Skip,
I have to say I'm pretty gutted at such a tragic loss (on the very selfish side of this). You've been incredibly helpful to me over the years. It is a sad day.
For you, I'm sure it's a joyous day though, so let's keep that in mind. You've done WAY more than your share, and FAR more than is reasonably expected of any person. You've been tirelessly here, and I'm so thankful for all you've done for me over the years.
I hope we still see you around from time to time.
Best wishes in your new path.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

You will be sorely missed, Skip, by all of us.
To me, you have always been a great source of inspiration, and you have often left me stunned by your excellence – not only in Excel... [wink]

I am convinced you will enjoy your future studies and find new horizons in them.

Live long and prosper – and enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

Your remote friend
Andy
[yinyang]

"Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family." (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Skip, I doubt you'll ever be "rusted out" enough for the likes of myself to surpass your vast knowledge. Thank you so much for your help through the years. I remember times where I thought of an idea: thought it impossible: then considered Tek-Tips (and especially Skip in the Excel area).

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi Skip, so many stars in one day, pretty sure we will soon see:

Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

However, you deserve a title for all the time!

combo

Skip,

Sad to see you go. You were here (a couple of years) before me and are still here, still helping people, long after I have dropped out of regularly checking in. To most people you have been, and still are, a star and, although I understand where you're coming from, I think the only person who will notice you losing your edge is you, yourself. Tek-Tips, at least this corner of it, has been blessed by your presence.

Thank you. You deserve a retirement and I wish you many (more) happy years of it.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Skip
Your contributions have been outstanding over the years.
Thank you very much for what you have done for me, and countless others.
JVFriederick

combo,
Can you predict the future...? Like a lottery numbers? [ponder]

combo_g7ndeo.png

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

I was expecting that the administrators will take the opportunity and prepare dedicated thanks to Skip for all the 19 years[cheers].

combo

Sad to see you go, you've provided excellent help and advice over the years and I am forever grateful for your patience. Best of luck in all your endeavours.

thank you for helping

You have given so many of us inspiration and guidance over the years, thank you so much, Skip! Best wishes for the future.

Gavona

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back