Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm saying mostly goodbye 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipVought

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
It's Past Time

I'm 4 weeks from the fifth anniversary of my layoff/retirement from my job. I was planning to retire on July 1, 2014. I had dodged the bullet so many times over the previous 50 years. Turns out, I got a very nice severance, so I really could not complain at age 72.

I really enjoyed my work. Supported MRP scheduling where the organization used Excel heavily. As a former Lotus 1-2-3 and Quattro Pro user, I began using Excel in the early 1990s and became excited to discover VBA in the package.

Then discovered I could query databases via the Oracle Transparent Gateway using ODBC. And on top of that, I encountered a former Microsoft employee that knew VBA and the Excel Object Model and was able to be personally tutored. I began to excel in Excel.

Then discovered Tek-Tips in 2001 and that opened my horizons. I credit this site with greatly aiding my career. I've enjoyed learning and sharing here. Thanks Dave and the Tek-Tips staff for creating and enhancing the site for this great community. Wish I could personally thank each member who helped me along the way over the past 18 years.

However, I'm not working in Excel and databases every day as I was 5 years ago and I find myself loosing my technical edge. So I'm hangin' up my spikes. Gonna get out before I thoroughly embarrass myself and leave macropod, strongm, combo, kjv1611, mintjulep, MakeItSo and Andrzejek to reach new levels of tip-meisterism.

Meanwhile, I am avidly pursuing personal study in Christian apologetics and theology. If any of you might care to contact me, you may do so via the FAQs feature here, open one of my FAQs and click the Send a Comment to SkipVought About This FAQ link near the bottom.

May each excel in Excel.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Hi Skip,

Many thanks on your solid responses over the years at Tek-Tips!!

Me thinks you should receive two (2) stars!

Happy Trails!!

James
----------------------------------------------------
James Keep, PMP
Crystal Reports(tm) Certified Consultant 8.5 (CRCC)
Authorized Crystal Engineer (ACE)

God bless you brother! You will be missed! Man, hate to see you go. :(

Thanks!!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back