Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm never "fine" anymore. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Tom Kane's pulchritudinous thread reminded me of one of the most fun activities in which I engage...a real ice breaker and conversation piece amongst those whom I meet. The activity of which I speak derives from my resolution to never respond to the mindless question, "How are you?" with the even-more-mindless response, "Fine."

Here are some of my replacements (in alphabetical order) for the overly bland "Fine". You will recognise many, but some are more obscure; all can be far more descriptive of our moods, given the proper circumstances:

ardent
assiduous
coruscative
ebullient
effulgent
energetic
exuberant
fervent
fervorous
incandescent
indefatigable
iridescent
kinetic
luminous
mirthful
oneirataxic
oneiric
pertinacious
radiant
resilient
scintillated
sedulous
steadfast
ubiquitous
unflagging
vibrant
vigorous
vivacious
zealous

I would love to expand this list with your contributions. If you plan on adopting my resolution (to never respond, "Fine," again), be sure that you know the definitions of each word.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

How 'bout (instead of lying [in more ways than one]) the victim says, "I'm dying of a gunshot wound"?

[santa]Mufasa
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

'I have no complains...actually I do but no one listens'

I use a variation of that almost daily. "Can't complain... nobody listens when I do anyway."

A recent one I've started responding with is "Just livin' the dream!"

I also use "Dandy", "Ducky", "Peachy", or if I'm not at work, "I'm just ducking f*cky".. ;)

"Fair to Middlin" I've used for a long time....

I think, however, that your response to a "How you doing?" really makes a difference on how you ARE doing. If you keep a PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) and respond with "You know, I'm having a GREAT day today!" it not only makes you feel better, but it makes the other person feel better as well.

Try it sometime... ask yourself "How do I feel?" after you've asked someone how they're doing, and they say "Crappy", or they say "I'm having a great day!"... you actually smile if someone else is having a good day themselves.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Yes, Santa, how 'bout it? :)
Then we going to have to deal with 'what do i say next?' (insert panic icon)

-How are you doing?
-I am dying from the shot wound
-????????? Have a nice day!!!

Santa.... what a bad word ... "gumbah".... Can't believe!

[thumbsdown]

Dollie, 'Fair to middleing' is a common response in Ireland. It's actually a translation of a standard Gaelic response.

I recently heard, "I'm OK if you're OK.".

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Guy who used to work here replied "swimmingly well" when asked how he was doing ..... no idea what that meant.

Strangely enough, I used swimmingly in another thread today. Simply means with ease, smoothly and successfully. I guess the 'well' in your colleagues response might be superfluous, but what the heck.

I like to say, "Mediocre, at best." and keep walking.

For the really persistent types that keep asking, I go with a more structured response. Reach for a handshake with your right hand, then say these exact phrases, in order, while making a broad, sweeping gesture towards your bathing-suit areas with your left hand.

"Burning and chafed through here, whew."

"I just came from the restroom, though, and it doesn't look contagious."

"They really need to get some soap in there."

"Oh well, have a nice day."

You should never make it to the last one.

v/r

Gooser

p.s. - I'd like to start using "unarmed", I like that. Keeps people guessing.

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

Good Thread!

When not at work the response is "I'm OK, but you're all Fuped Duck!"

At work my usual response to "How are you?" is "At what?

Gooser: Thanks for an early-morning chuckle!

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

everytime someone asks me how i am i always respond with some comment and then a "thank you" but 95% of the time people think I say "and you?"

does that happen to anyone else? maybe i just mumble:)
from now on I'll try "thanks" and see what happens

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Steve,

Frankly, people generally just don't listen to the responses anyway in these types of "conversations". How many times have you said, "Hi, Jim," then Jim responds, "Fine, thanks."?

That's precisely why I respond with something way out of the ordinary...it generally forces them to wake up out of their dream-like state, rattling their cages enough to make them actually think about the conversation.

[santa]Mufasa
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Agree that many (most??) people either do not expect a response to "Hi" or "How are you doing?" or they're not listening to your response.

How many times have you heard this:

Me: Hi Jim, how're you?

Jim: Doin' OK, how are you?

Me: I'm doing well, thank you

Jim: (after a few seconds of dead air) So, how are you?

Me: ??????

Guess I was intruding on Jim's time to produce CO2.

..."Much better than the last time you asked, but please don't ask again, for I fear I'll be much worse."

?

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

When somebody asks how I'm doing, I vary my response between
"I'm about average for this time of year"
to
"Well, I have this dull pain in my right side, and a ringing noise in my left ear since I got up this morning, and ..." until I see they have lost interest in my reply. Then I say "Do you ever feel like that?" When they start, I say "Just remembered, I have to make a phone call." and walk away.

When I ask someone how they're doing, and they reply but don't ask me how I'm doing, I say "I'm fine too, thanks for asking."
tr

How are you?"

"Sitting up and taking nourishment."

Kinda fun to watch 'em slowly back away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back