Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm never "fine" anymore. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Tom Kane's pulchritudinous thread reminded me of one of the most fun activities in which I engage...a real ice breaker and conversation piece amongst those whom I meet. The activity of which I speak derives from my resolution to never respond to the mindless question, "How are you?" with the even-more-mindless response, "Fine."

Here are some of my replacements (in alphabetical order) for the overly bland "Fine". You will recognise many, but some are more obscure; all can be far more descriptive of our moods, given the proper circumstances:

ardent
assiduous
coruscative
ebullient
effulgent
energetic
exuberant
fervent
fervorous
incandescent
indefatigable
iridescent
kinetic
luminous
mirthful
oneirataxic
oneiric
pertinacious
radiant
resilient
scintillated
sedulous
steadfast
ubiquitous
unflagging
vibrant
vigorous
vivacious
zealous

I would love to expand this list with your contributions. If you plan on adopting my resolution (to never respond, "Fine," again), be sure that you know the definitions of each word.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

In addition to some of those above, I answer with a question .....

In Comparison to what?

DataDog
'Failure Is Not An Option'

American consultant explains to English consultant who came to US : 'One thing you should remember: when they ask 'how are you?' - NOBODY WANTS TO KNOW!!!' I am still laughing. It was true story at lunch party. He said guy was actually telling people how was he...is this how men are in England?

SantaMufasa:
Does coruscative differ from coruscant?

All:
I've had more fun with "How's it going?".

My answers have included:
It goes well. How goes it with you?
It moves along a fractal boundary.
It wishes its comings and goings to be not discussed.
It's going by [rail|sea|dirigible|velocipede|....].

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Sleipnir, they are synonymous...and you also happened upon my "favouritest" of all of those adjectives on the list...I enjoy "giving off or reflecting bright beams or flashes of light". When someone asks (and after I tell disclose) the definition of whichever of those two choices I used with them, I follow up with, "I just reflect what I see." They then walk away happier, complimented, and smiling.[smile]

[santa]Mufasa
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

CRilliterate:
CRilliterate said:
velocipede? Where did you get that?
When and where did I first learn the word? I don't know -- it was too many decades ago.

What does it mean? velocipede

I've been interested in the history of technology, so in my readings I come across great words like velocipede, phenakistiscope, zoopraxiscope and zoetrope

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

It's possible that you learned about velocipedes after first hearing about velodromes. I suspect that velodrome is much more well-known, as it's common during the Summer Olympics, and it's easy to see that they come from the same roots.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Still breathing, works for me. Of course you can always go with the traditional flip "Fine, and You?", making them answer as silly a question.

Or just go for the Gusto and completely unload. My house payments two months late, me and the wife have been arguing all week ect. ect.

I agree with Nick on this subject. Why not ask a more meaningful question.

How's work?
You look happy, good day?
You seem upset, is everything alright?

I usually say: "Any day you wake up is a good day." It really doesn't answer the question directly, but it's much better than "Fine".

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

As a variant of Tracy's retort, I've been known to respond:
Mufasa said:
When I woke up this morning and didn't see a chalk outline around my body, I knew it would be a good day.

[santa]Mufasa

must admit, if it is someone I don't particularly like at work, I find it funny to see how long I can keep them standing there listening to my ramblings about how awful everything is today (even if it isn't). Current record is 18 minutes of drivel ;-) - well, if they're gonna ask a question they don't really care about the answer to, I figure I'll teach them to think beefore doing it again !

xlbo,
what do you say when you see the person you know walking and smiling at you? You must have brilliant greeting. Care to share? Thanks

P.S. As writing in cursive answering 'how are you' question still exists 'as default'. Both victims of a technical progress and there is simply no time to listen...but it is in genes to ask...

depends on the mood. If I'm feeling mischievous, I might stare pointedly just above their head, or alternatively, make as if to scratch something from between my teeth - people invariably think you are telling them that they have something between their teeth - especially if they are smiling broadly at the time...

I bet if I watch long enough I would see that you are pulling my leg out of your teeth, am I right?

There's always the good old :
You : "How are you?"
Them : "I'm good."
You, with a hammer: "It's 'well', you ignorant clod!"
You, using hammer repeatedly and with a certain gayety.

The day begins (relatively) fine for both of you, as you have subtly, yet firmly impressed a rule of grammar in the luser, and you have gotten to use your Clue Hammer. Oh, and the luser is still alive, so it's a good day for him. :)

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

This morning, when asked by our effervesent and perky receptionist, I answered with "Just peachy."

Then I growled and headed for the $#@%ing coffee pot and kicked my computer.

Three cups later and I'M JUST FINE NOW.

I just heard young girl answered 'Just peachy' - should I go put bandage on her PC?

'Good' is an adjective, and 'well' is an adverb.

If the question is "How are you?", the correct answer is "I'm good". 'You' is a noun, therefore the question is calling for an adjective, because nouns are modified by adjectives, not adverbs.

If the question is "How do you feel", then "I feel well" would be correct. 'Feeling' is a verb, and therefore this question is calling for an adverb, because verbs are modified by adverbs, not adjectives.

Unless of course you're James Brown, in which case you can 'feel good'.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back