Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm never "fine" anymore. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Tom Kane's pulchritudinous thread reminded me of one of the most fun activities in which I engage...a real ice breaker and conversation piece amongst those whom I meet. The activity of which I speak derives from my resolution to never respond to the mindless question, "How are you?" with the even-more-mindless response, "Fine."

Here are some of my replacements (in alphabetical order) for the overly bland "Fine". You will recognise many, but some are more obscure; all can be far more descriptive of our moods, given the proper circumstances:

ardent
assiduous
coruscative
ebullient
effulgent
energetic
exuberant
fervent
fervorous
incandescent
indefatigable
iridescent
kinetic
luminous
mirthful
oneirataxic
oneiric
pertinacious
radiant
resilient
scintillated
sedulous
steadfast
ubiquitous
unflagging
vibrant
vigorous
vivacious
zealous

I would love to expand this list with your contributions. If you plan on adopting my resolution (to never respond, "Fine," again), be sure that you know the definitions of each word.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

CRilliterate,

I'm working with my third child on learning to read so I know the answer to that:

That's just the way it IS!

When Galileo theorized that Aristotle's view of the Universe contained errors, he was labeled a fool.
It wasn't until he proved it that he was called dangerous.
[wink]

Boxhead, do you mean your other two children never bothered to teach you to read? Sorry ;-)

Sometimes, when people ask how I am, I like to respond with 'Unarmed'.

Phil5673,

For the people with whom you use the 'unarmed' response, do they get real nervous when you just say 'fine'?

Try to say 'unarmed' fast - unless you have a very trained or loud voice - it is not very clear what you are saying...in the morning, passing by...

I am using Windows XP, Crystal Reports 9.0 with SQL Server

Boxhead,

I rarely respond with 'Fine'. The people I say it to, they know me so it's a bit of a joke. I'm the kind of person that likes to shake the tree and see what falls out.

I'm just hunky dory" is a good response the "How are you?" Not many people use the expresion any more. It's especially effective if you say it with a bit or sarcasm in your voice.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I like hunky-dory too, particularly Life On Mars and Kooks.

Seriously, if feeling mischievious, I'll say I'm 'gradely', the Yorkshire dialect word for 'fine'. Used to hear it all the time travelling in North Yorkshire, but that was some time ago! Another response popular in Yorkshire is 'not too bad', ie absolutely fine and dandy. One can't be seen to be being too optimistic after all!

hunky-dory...who ever invented it???

When someone tells me to "have a good day," I typically respond, "Thank you, but I have other plans."
Thanks!
Elanor

So the person who wishes you to have a good day be left feeling stupid? I would say it is un-nessesary:(

CRilliterate,

Most people upon hearing such a response take it as a joke and are not left feeling stupid. Many people enjoy it because it breaks up the routine conversations that we have.

Many people say "Have a nice day." without thinking about it, or even really hoping that you have a nice day. The point of these responses is to bring their attention back to the conversation, and hopefully even make them smile a bit.

I agree. If one were to judge from context, one might conclude that "Have a nice day" really means "This concludes our business".

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

KornGeek? I like it! So unique...
You probably right, sometimes I don't get it.

Best answer: "Much better now that I've seen you"
I knew someone who used that regularly and received genuinely warm responses.
P.S. When I tried using it, people just laughed :)

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." - Helen Keller

I heard "Better than I deserve" a while back and try to use that one sometimes. But typically I just throw out a standard "Good".

Our CEO likes to ask "How goes the battle?". My typical response: Bloody.

Better than I deserve" IS HILLARIOUS!!! I need to try it.

I've used "nectariny," followed by "not quite up to fuzz."

An obscure reference to folk who use "peachy." :)

It is shocking - we just discussed this with co-worker.
I watched 2 movies in 1 day where deadly shot covered in blood man comes into restaurant to call 911 and waitress looking at him asks 'Are you ok, sir?' He responding 'I am fine' and dies instantly.
Next movie was Navy Seals where tough marine seeing his buddy deadly shot asks 'Are you ok?' and response goes 'I am fine' and his head falls - he dies immediately.

I was kind of amuzed by thinking when people actually allowed to not to be fine if they are fine bleeding, shot, dead? Had anyone ever heard different word used to answer the question (I read the thread - i mean word that can not be translate as 'fine' anyway, so 'better then ever' don't count). Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back