Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'm fixing up an older Pentium Pro 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamalo

MIS
Oct 15, 2003
US
I'm fixing up an older Pentium Pro 200 for my kid.
The M/B is Intel VS440FX and I am trying to update the BIOS with the last BIOS version Intel had for it: 1.00.18.CS1.

I did not get any errors when I created the boot diskette.
Half way during the update of the BIOS, I get errors:

L05: Unable to prepare for flash
H02: Initialization for flash programming failed
Error: Flash update was unsuccessful

I've checked the current BIOS setup and it is fine.
I've checked the M/B jumpers and they are in the correct places (enable updates etc.).

I also tried to update the BIOS with version 1.00.11.CS1,
but the update program complains that the file on the diskette is corrupted or does not fit with my BIOS.

Any other ideas anyone?
Thanks...
Ron

Probably u r missing some or the other step in updating the BIOS there would be instructions on web site from where u downloaded the Flash BIOS Update on how to install that update just notedown the instructions and follow the instruction before that all ensure one more time that wether ur BIOS can be updated or not.

If this is an OEM computer, it is best to get the BIOS flash from your computers manufacturer. Many times, the hardware in a prebuilt system is specially modified for that particular system.

For example, I have an Intel motherboard, but I got my BIOS update from Dell's website. Because the motherboard is specially manufactured for Dell.

You are probably getting the errors for the same reason. The chipset on the motherboard may be different that it reports.

also, make sure that your motherboard supports flash upgrades...some old ones do not. You may have to replace the flash chip as a means of upgrading the bios.

Personally, there is actually no benefit from upgrading a BIOS unless you are adding newer hardware that the current BIOS does not support. The best advice I can give you is this: if it works fine now, leave it alone...it is not worth the risk of a 'bad flash'.

You can permanently damage your motherboard if you flash it with the wrong bios file. Do you have a socket or a slot?

Thank you guys...

It is a Gateway PC , but they do not have any BIOS updates on their site for this specific PC (just newer drivers).

I’ve checked AMI’s web site since that’s what the BIOS shows when you boot.
AMI provides a tool to check the BIOS version and that tool reports the manufacture (Intel) and version of the motherboard.
Also, that tools said it is not an AMI BIOS and that I should get it from Intel.
Intel no longer supports the VS440FX but have detailed instructions how to flash the BIOS with the last supported BIOS (1.00.18).
Currently, the BIOS version is 1.00.4 and I want it to recognize a slave 6GB drive.

I’m pretty sure the BIOS can be upgraded since Intel had numerous BIOS updates for the VS440FX.
The jumper on the MoBo for BIOS Update is in the Enable position…

I’m not going to mess with replacing the Flash chips.
How can I figure out the correct chipset of the MoBo?

I'm also noticing the other thread you posted recently and I'll post there too...
I've been to Gateways site and found over 400 BIOS's/Updates dating back to 1995 or earlier...though they're not very specific in the details from this page
I own a PII 350Mhz and updated my BIOS a little while back and it was a bummer tracking down the right one at first(before they had that automated info utility running)....
and I didn't have to move the jumpers.....My Sys is Late 1999 model.....
Any way I've punched in some of your numbers in doing a search from there (link below)...and I've come close...but no cigar yet..because you have to follow the "more info" link to see if the update covers your specific MoBo/P-Pro...

It seems that you can
1)either find your Mobo Part# and search it that way on the gateway website
2)wade through the thicket till you stumble onto it...or
3)If your sure you have the right update .....get your machine up and running by resetting the Flash Recovery jumper in BIOS to recovery.....(do you have a recovery setting on jumpers.?)

Disconnect everything and leave it that way ( including power/keyboard/mouse/display/speakers/usb/etc).....
Open the case and Change the BIOS Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position........
Put the Bootable BIOS upgrade disk you previously made into the floppy drive A:....
Now...
Plug in the power supply only and boot up....when the floppy light is on and the system beeps, the system is copying the BIOS recovery code into the flash device..
Be sure and wait until all activity is fully stopped(usually 2 beeps and no more floppy LED, though there may be pauses in between)..
Now.... Power OFF the system and change the jumper back to the default position...
Now....Hook up Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor so when you power back ON, you can see if it worked....You should leave the floppy in the drive to make sure the correct BIOS version was installed....
Now if it worked you can close the case and off you go!!
You can go into BIOS now and make any setup changes specific to your system that you may need...
Always Power OFF before hooking up anything...

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Based on the BIOS revision you tried from intel (1.00.11.CS1) I was able to find it on the gateway support site as 1.00.11.CS1T. The Intel one won't work because Gateway has their own code in there, therefore it must come from Gateway. Anyway, head over to this link for information on the driver and to download.

I assume you are trying to update the driver so that you can use larger disks. I had same problem with a 200MZ Micron. I sidestepped the problem by installing an additional drive controller board, and attaching larger, WD drives to it. I don't remember how I got around the bios, but I think I told it the new drives were not there. I then installed the new drivers, and recall that the WD drivers were especially helpful in accessing the drive. It has been working ever since. I could check to see what the bios settings are if you want me to.

There are also BIOS overlay programs that make the full drive capacity available. If it is not available from the drive manufacturer I believe Partition Magic and maybe a few other programs will do it also.

Thanks you very much everyone!

I was able to flash the bios without a problem using the link ImpetusEra provided above to Gateway's bios!

Basically, getting the correct bios from Gateway was the key.
This is also what TekTippy4U recommended and he provided lots of other good advice as well.

Thanks again guys!
Ron.

Hello Lamalo
I'm glad you got it up and running..and for letting us all know here..and why...[bigsmile]
In my lengthy reply above, I accidentally "forgot" to actually "insert" the link to Gateway....Once I noticed, I figured you had it already..:>)
Any way, out of curiousity,
1)Do you have a "recovery" position on your jumpers..?.just for my future reference.
2)you said"Currently, the BIOS version is 1.00.4 and I want it to recognize a slave 6GB drive"...
Did the version 1.00.11CS1T help as far as actually updating your BIOS 'usefully'..such as enabling Large HD support.?
[2thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

My contribution to this thread: Some motherboards have a jumper that needs to be set before you can flash the BIOS. Mine did §;O)

... just in case someone runs into another BIOS flash issue.

Regards

Jakob

[b}dkdude[/b]
I realize that....just was wondering if there was a "recovery" mode, which is sometimes labled "recovery/normal".....and/or along with an "update" setting as well.......?
Usually 3 pins only...the jumper has only 2 choices....

Thanks for the info....which will undoubtedly/hopefully help other viewers
[bigsmile]

TT4U

Notification:

TekTippy4U,

Recovery mode. No, I think that once the new BIOS is flashed, ye olde one is gone for good.

Making it imperative that you do a backup to a diskette before flashing. All BIOS flashers shoould provide that functionality -if not, I wouldn't use it §;O)

Jakob

dkdude
Not recovery mode per se.....but a jumper mode....called "Recovery" as a lot of mobos have em.......

Virtually all intel mobos and many third party boards have a jumper or switch for BIOS recovery..in case of a catastrophic failure when upgrading....in most cases labeled Recovery/Normal...rather than Upgrade/Normal........Intel's SE440BX has this....
There's a special uneraseable area of the Flash ROM chip when it's of the type that's been soldered in, meant specifically for this purpose of Recovery...that's what gets recovered....
Because there's so little code in this area....you get NO Video at all....
Hence...the procedure I posted earlier.
[bigsmile]

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back