Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IExplorer 5.5 navigation problems ! Please help ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaidulon

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
Each time I clicked on a "homepage" or an URL on a webpage, IExplorer seemed to hang up . I got to click "Stop" then "Refresh" to open the webpage of the destination site . And it happened to all webpages since yesterday and I had no idea why?

I reinstalled IExplorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 , but the problem remained . (My PC infos : Celeron 900, Win 98 SE , DSL connection).I had also : McAfee VirusScan v6.01 , BlackIce Defender 2.5 installed.

Please advise how to fix this annoying problem.

I think it has something to do with Internet Explorer trying to load icons or some kind of graphics in the explorer.

There is a reference to this kind of hang up on the Citrix website. Sorry, I don't remember where.

Thanks, Donnadee, for the info.
I checked system files and IExplorer files , they were all O.K. This is a systemic problem as it occured to almost all webpages containing detectable URLs !! The extra clicks to get going really bothered me and took the fun out of surfing !! S.O.S...

Have you tried to clear the cache and or history...maybe things are getting a little full...

Only a suggestion?!

CS

Thanks, cshaffer, for your kind suggestion. On my PC, I had "Window Washer v4.1" installed and run on each Windows98 SE start-up. So everything is cleaned up .
I am afraid it may be some thing else. I suspect a .dll file missing ?? . The incredible thing is I just reinstalled Win98 SE and redownloaded IExplorer 5.5 SP 2 and still could not fix the problem.I'm eagerly awaiting further tips...

Some additional infos :

I installed "Opera 5.12" (Java version) to check out if it was Win98 SE or IExplorer 5.5 problem ! Opera 5.12 worked just great and had no problem at all ! I guess this might be a IExplorer problem after all !

Please suggest a solution . Thanks,

zaidulon,

Is there anything you don't have installed on your machine :)

What makes you think it's a DLL?

Have you tried the repair:
Go to Start>Run line>type
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance

I would suggest something to track your installs. I use PC Magazine's Install control:

PC Magazine's InCtrl5 v1.0
InCtrl5 is the fifth incarnation of one of PC Magazine's most popular utilities. By monitoring the changes made to your system when you install new software, it enables you to troubleshoot any unexpected problems that come up. Virtually every modern program uses an install utility that installs or updates files, and also may record data in the registry, and update INI files or other essential text files. A companion uninstall utility should precisely reverse the effects of the install utility. When a newly installed program causes existing applications to fail, or when the supplied uninstall utility can't complete its task, to restore your system you need a record of exactly what the original install utility did. InCtrl5 can provide this record. This new version offers a variety of new features, including an attractive new interface, the ability to track changes to text files such as AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS, HTML reports, and command line switches. It runs under Win95 or higher, or WinNT 4 or higher. Older versions of Windows are supported by previous versions of InCtrl. If you are running Windows NT 4 or Windows 95, you will need Internet Explorer 4 or higher to preview HTML reports within the program.

Download link and help on using it is available here:

reghakr

Thanks , reghakr, for the recommendation .
As I mentioned above, I have done the following but still to no avail :

1) Check IExplorer 5.5 files using Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information/Tools/IExplorer Repair Tool/

2)Check System files using Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information/Tools/System File Checker/

No error message in 1) and 2) !

3) Reinstall Win98 SE and IExplorer 5.5 SP2

After all these measures, I wonder what else I can try ? Please advise.

I used to use Ashampoo Uninstaller and CleanSweep to install new programs and monitor file changes during installations . But they were time consuming , especially when I installed/ uninstalled an average of 5 to 10 softwares per day ! ( I tried out lots of programs in search for "the best " in their catagories ).
I will try InCtrl5 v1.0 to see how it performs. But for the time being, this IExplorer "glitch" is driving me up the wall. You are right but I cannot do much about "spilled milk" , can I ? Please suggest a solution. Thanks,

Hello, zaidulon.

Take note on the info of shdocvw.dll in windows\system directory. (Could you post it back later?)

Rename it to something else, say .xxx. Extract a fresh copy from your latest ie5.5 installation cab file. You can check its whereabout at ms - dll help database. In any case, use the one of size 1147664 bytes or 1146640 bytes (build 5.50.4720.0200 or 5.50.4909.1000 --- not rigid requirement here, use your good sense). Only try not to avoid version for winME of size 1159168 bytes.

In any case, I would say it is the shdocvw.dll which causes the control problem in these circumstances. Make avail a fresh copy of it.

regards - tsuji

Hello Tsuji,

Thank you for your suggestion which I carried out right away . The current file <shdocvw.dll > appeared OK as it had exactly the same size as you indicated. But I still renamed it and replaced it by another copy from my older PC ( also Win98 SE) . Still, the problem remains . It is interesting to note that I have to click &quot;stop&quot; and then click &quot;refresh&quot; to access any webpage from inside the initial one. The first webpage is always ok. It is the URL's inside the first webpage that causes the problem.

I would welcome further instructions. Thanks, Tsuji.

I installed IExplorer 6 , used &quot;System File Checker&quot; to double check system files. Everything run normally until I tried to access another site from within a given webpage ! The same problem occured : IExplorer hang and I had to click &quot;stop&quot; then &quot;Refresh&quot; to continue . It worked but these extra &quot;clicks&quot; were not necessary before.

I am still awaiting further suggestions. Thanks,

Hmmm, been reading this thread from the start, and I must say you've exhausted just about all the things I would try, including giving 6.0 a whirl and seeing if you get the same deal.
One thing that sticks out is your description of the problem as &quot;seeming to hang up&quot;--do you mean it just hourglasses with a blank white screen instead of the page? Is the IE logo in the top right corner running it's animation sequence while this is going on? At the bottom of the screen, in the status window, does it say something like &quot;opening page xxx...&quot; or &quot;site found, waiting for reply..&quot;?
Some things to try:
You say you are getting to the &quot;home page&quot; or initial page of a site, just not any of the pages it is linked to, correct? What happens if you right click on a link and choose &quot;open link in new window&quot;?
You've mentioned some 3rd party apps you've installed that &quot;clean up&quot; your system each time you boot, that I am unfamiliar with. This problem sounds like corruption of temporary internet files, a not uncommon problem. Just for the heck of it, why don't you try deleting them directly from IE? [Tools | Internet Options | Delete Files] It certainly can't hurt.

Good luck.

zaidulon

You mentioned you used Ashampoo
You are now using the Opera browser.

Both products generally install &quot;cydoor&quot; components which are part of what is known as spyware.

Have you tried using Lavasoft's spyware detect and delete software. It may not help your current Explorer problem but it would be interesting and potentially to your advantage to download and run their latest cleaner.

Ad-aware 5.62

Note: Sometimes applications that install and include &quot;cydoor&quot; components or registry keys will not function once they are removed..for example Opera..I don't know if it will affect it's operation.

Used Ashampoo myself and took forever to remove..

smitee

Thanks ,Crisc and smitee , for your kind suggestions.

1)&quot;Window Washer 4.1&quot; is an excellent Internet cleaner that clean everything for you after each Windows restart (or any time you so desire ! ) . I did try Crisc's tip but still no result !
2)As for &quot;seeming to hang&quot; ,I meant the timer icon stayed there forever until I clicked &quot;stop&quot; and then &quot;refresh&quot; to get going again . Imagine how frustrating it is to repeat these clicks every time you click on an URL !
3)As I had no problem with Opera v5.12 (Registered ,Java version) , so my guess is some corrupted or missing files between Win98 SE and IExplorer 6 (and 5.5 as well ! ). This scenario is most likely a result of install/uninstall lots of softwares . The problem I do not know how to pin point the &quot;culprit&quot; files . Two days ago, everything was fine !
I wonder if this problem has anything to do with Java-based webpages ? Do I need a some running-time Java libraries of some sort ? I do not have a clue on these matters !! Please comments.

__ Thanks ,Smitee, for the warning about Spywares. I did use Ad-Aware 5.62 for my older PC but not on this 3 week old machine yet. Will do soon.
InCtrl5 is a good installation monitor program but still involve lots of manual operations . Ashampoo Installer is way more advanced with visual tree-directory reports and
automatic insert/removal options. But I agreed with Smitee, it is still very slow . This is the reson I stopped using Ashampoo Installer , especially I just want to check out softwares for a few hours !!

I'm at the the end of the rope and is desperate for a fix. Thanks,

I think one of your problems is that you install and try all these programs. Unfortunatly many remnants are left behind after most uninstalls,(siome intentionally) and I truthfully would not trust Ashampoo or Windows Washer or any other big name &quot;uninstallers&quot; or &quot;fixit&quot; programs.

Don't just trust Windows Washer, open Windows Explorer to the temporary internet files directory and look for yourself.
Even Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files] cannot be trusted to completely remove files. Check the Delete offline content box when you choose the Delete Files button, then check manually. In fact, right-click on the folders and choose properties. You may be suprised.

reghakr

Thanks, reghakr, for your tips.
Your point about double-checking and not too trusty with &quot;big name&quot; softwares is well taken . I'm grateful for for these precious advices as I am fighting a loosing battle against my weakness in playing around with new softwares .Some guys get their jollies in computer games and I get mine in testing out new softwares :) !
I did check out manually those folders you mentioned : nothing suspicious there , all cleaned up!
I am still surfing but with only 50% capacity . Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try uninstalling any program that &quot;hooks into&quot; Internet Explorer.

or go to Tools>InternetOptions, click the Advanced tab and uncheck &quot;Enable third-party browser extensions.&quot;

reghakr

Thanks, reghakr, for the hints.
I unchecked &quot;Enable third-party browser extensions.&quot; but it has no effect.
Could you please elaborate on &quot;programs that hooks into&quot; Internet Explorer ? How can I identify them ? Thank you.

I was referring to programs such as:

Gator
Google Bar

reghakr

Thanks, reghakr , for the info. I did not have this type of softwares thanks to &quot;Ad-aware &quot; :) !

I just D/L Opera v6.0 today and loaded on . It worked just fine , no problem at all. Does this means it's time to say goodbye to IExplorer or reformat the disk and start from ground zero ?
I would listen to further suggestions than doing the last deed !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back