Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IExplorer 5.5 navigation problems ! Please help ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaidulon

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
Each time I clicked on a "homepage" or an URL on a webpage, IExplorer seemed to hang up . I got to click "Stop" then "Refresh" to open the webpage of the destination site . And it happened to all webpages since yesterday and I had no idea why?

I reinstalled IExplorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 , but the problem remained . (My PC infos : Celeron 900, Win 98 SE , DSL connection).I had also : McAfee VirusScan v6.01 , BlackIce Defender 2.5 installed.

Please advise how to fix this annoying problem.

I might suggest disabling or uninstalling Blackice Defender and see if there's any differrence.

Thruthfully, I believe ZoneAlarm is a better choice.

reghakr

I unloaded Blackice v2.5ch and loaded up Zone Alarm v2.6 .It had no effects at all : the same problem as before . So it most likely has nothing to do with firewall softwares . It is interesting to note here that I used "BlackIce" for about 2 months and everything functioned normally until 3 days ago !
The thing that really bothers me is that Opera 6 works just fine with "Blackice" on . So I guess it could be some .DLLs being replaced with older versions that caused this problem in IExplorer.
I agree with your assessment : Zone Alarm is for the expert with its horrific configuration method :-(. "BlackIce" is for newbiews and simple to configure.

I am not in a hurry to perform the final act just yet ! I hope someone in the same boat may shed some more lights .

Thanks, reghakr, for your kind input.

yep, no problem.

Remember, use Incontrol or at the very least, run RegClean after every uninstall.

reghakr

Eureka ! Eureka! The problem is solved in an unexpected way ! And as I guessed it was due to an unknown program that replaced a .dll by another version .
The curcumstance is interesting enough: I unloaded Zone Alarm Pro to reinstall my familiar firewall "BlackIce defender" but I could not because the installation was aborted due to some unknown reasons. So I got back to Tek-Tip and found the question by "Jomarcel" , who experienced the same problem with BlackIce reinstallation . Thanks to Smitee who suggested replacing the current file oleaut32.dll by the original from the Win98 SE installation disk to fix the BlackIce. Naturally, I tried Smitee's solution and it worked for BlackIce. Then I started surfing and Lordy ! Lordy ! IExplorer suddenly was back to normal again !! I got 2 birds with one stone from Smitee ! God blesses you, Smitee..

I would like to thank reghakr, tsuji , Smitee and all contributors to my question.

Please tell me how I can vote for smitee? I do not see any option on this page to do so . Thanks.

Look up the list to find smitee's name, then click the Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post.

You'll have to click View>Refresh for it to appear.

Way to go Smitee!

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back