Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE7 beta goes public

Status
Not open for further replies.

pechenegs

MIS
Jun 15, 2003
GB
CNET News.com
February 01, 2006, 09:25 GMT

Talkback
Tell us your opinion
Microsoft has released a test version of its next Web browser, but how does it shape up against Firefox?

?
§
Microsoft took the wraps off Internet Explorer 7 Tuesday, releasing the new "preview" version of its Web browser to the general public for testing.

The program, still a work in progress, is available for download from the Internet Explorer section of Microsoft's corporate Web site, the company said. The company, which began limited testing in July, had promised to deliver a public beta by the end of March.

"The big update is that it's public," said Margaret Cobb, group product manager for Internet Explorer at Microsoft. "All previous releases were limited."

ZDNet UK's Reviews channel has posted a preview of the IE7 beta. The latest version works only with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and includes many of the features Microsoft has been touting for months. Among them are new security and privacy protection capabilities such as mechanisms designed to combat phishing attacks, spyware and other threats.

Another new feature lets users clear their browsing history more easily and thus wipe out passwords, form data and cookies in one click, the company said.

The new browser also includes tabbed browsing and a search box on a more streamlined toolbar, concepts that should be familiar to users of Firefox, a rival browser distributed by the Mozilla Foundation.

Microsoft said that the new Printing Enhancements and Shrink to Fit printing features enable users to adjust margins, change the page layout, remove headers or footers, and increase or decrease the print space.

Tabbed browsing lets users open multiple Web pages in a single browser window. Microsoft has tried to best Firefox with something called Quick Tabs. That feature provides an at-a-glance, thumbnail view of all open tabs in a single window.

In addition, the program is supposed to let users more easily subscribe to syndicated feeds from news and sports sites, blogs and stores. The browser detects feeds enabled by Real Simple Syndication, or RSS, technology, illuminating an icon on the toolbar. Users can preview, subscribe and scan syndicated headlines directly through the browser, Microsoft said.

IE 7 also includes a number of new features for Web developers, including support for up-and-coming Web-programming technologies known collectively as AJAX.

Microsoft plans to release a final version of IE 7 later this year, around the time the company debuts the next version of its Windows operating system, Windows Vista.

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

I downloaded and installed it. First looks are good. But now everytime I look at a mail folder in outlook express it askes for my user name and password to look at hotmail. Didn't have this probelm before. Any one with any ideas??
The only thing I did was install ie7 no setting changes.

It may have more security incorporated into it, I have not installed it as I prefer Mozilla!?

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Downloaded it just for giggles(I use Firefox). It's gone now.
I don't need to waste my time trying to get rid of default search engines, wondering why even though when it comes up to about:blank it still phones home and a host of other "I don't need it" crap.

It turnes out this is a know bug. No fix at this time.
as per Microsoft.

Well I think its great... the integrated search is nice because you can point it to whatever engine you use.

I have found the phishing protection slows down surfing at times... but knowing its there makes me feel all warm inside..

I think the tabbed surfing is poorly executed. I do like that you can view all the tabs in thumbnailed view.

(I still wish you could set it for auto refresh like you can in other software)

....BUT long story short I think I will be using this when it comes out full ver.

i wonder why they took out the ability to view source of webpages?

They only moved it. To the right of the tabs, you'll see a "Page" button. View Source is under that now.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/sub]

Actually, once I posted I notioces that I still have View>Source in the menus as well. You have something else going on.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/sub]

Anyone notice fonts look different...in both html messages in outlook and regular webpages.

That's probably ClearType. The new IE has it's own ClearType setting in the advanced settings tab that ignores the system setting for ClearType.

[sub]Jeff

The zoom setting can also be affecting the way fonts 'look'

:alidabiri
I tend to agree with your comment, but this is a beta version. Lets hope the final will not be an imitation.
Regards

Jurgen

I've tried it and i'm uninstalling it.

Shame the Beta has so many bugs the browser is unusable, no point in seeing if my site still works, when the browser doesn't!

Can't even view a simple CSS drop down menu in it....

And your right the fonts look all wishy washy? Is there a reason for this?

oh well it was fun while it lasted (3 minutes!)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back