Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE6 not displaying graphics on certain pages only 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

fl4ian

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
i service a small business with 6 machines (all running w2k).

two of these machines have the exact same problem: certain pages do not load the graphics. it is an intermittent problem. for instance, home.yahoo.com and belarc.com both do not display the graphics. if you F5 (refresh) it still will not show the graphics. HOWEVER, if you change the encoding to Western European (ISO) or Western European (Windows) it WILL display the graphics. subsequent refreshes (after you've change the encoding) will again NOT show the graphics. a quick check of the encoding reveals that it is still encoding at Wester European (ISO or Window) which ever you chose. in other words, the encoding selection has not changed, but you are now unable to view the graphics.

other pages that are viewed with the same machines load just fine. for example msn.com shows all the graphics (and there are quite a few)...

so... the problem is intermittent in the fact that not all pages load graphics. however, the problem is consistent in the fact that pages that don't load graphics NEVER load graphics (unless you change the encoding).

these are the fixes i've tried with no success (cold booting in between):
1) selecting 'auto-select' in the encoding menu.
2) clearing the temporary internet files cache.
3) reinstalling ie6 over the current installation.
4) editing the registry value (per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 283807) to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage set as default to C_28591.NLS

the KB article (283807) seems to deal with persistent non-display of graphics (for ALL web pages), but i thought i'd give it a try anyway.

i'd rather not wipe the machine just for this, but if that's the solution....

any help would be much appreciated...

Go to Tools, Internet Options, Settings (on the General tab), View Objects. What is the status of your Java? (You may have to switch to View > Details to see this...)

i've actually already re-installed Java thinking this may have been the problem. no dice.

I'm wondering if it's certain types of graphics, i.e. does it appear to be pictures that don't show up, or other types of graphics (animations, whatever)? Are you getting red x's where graphics should be?

And...wiping the machines should only be a last resort.

Reinstalling IE won't necessarily fix problems. It's best to run the Repair tool. I don't use 2k, but you should be able to kick off the repair tool by going to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, highlight IE, click Add/Remove and select Repair from the options menu.

yes, it's red x's if it doesn't load. i agree that wiping the machine should be a last resort, but i'm about done with this!!! i spent a couple hours over there the other day trying a bunch of different solutions (beside the ones listed above) with no success. i'll post a list of those other solutions i tried later today (hopefully).

add/remove programs doesn't list IE or M$IE or anything like that. the only options i've seen for helping to take IE completely off the machine have been for W2K machines running SP1 or less.

Ok...try going to Start, Run and typing in msinfo32.exe
In the window titled Microsoft System Information, go to Tools. You should see and Internet Explorer Repair Tool listed there.

Also, try this:

Shut down all progams and go to Start > Run

Type in each of these commands seperately and hit OK. Wait for confirmation.

regsvr32.exe /i shdocvw.dll

regsvr32.exe /i shdoc401.dll

Restart your pc.

I've been encountering the same problem for the past few days on my Win98 box, running Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus 2003. I just switched from Roadrunner Cable Internet to SBC Yahoo! DSL service, and I recently upgraded my Norton Antivirus from a roughly 1999 version to 2003. I've tried tons of things to fix this and nothing's done the trick. My only workaround is to constantly change the encoding settings from the View menu. I've noticed that when I put it on Auto-Select, all the web pages are fine until it finds one that's set to display at "Western European (ISO)". dell.com, netgear.com, & windows.com are good examples of pages where my images are simply boxes with red Xs until I select "user defined" as the encoding setting.

Not sure what it is that screwed it up, but Netscape's still working just fine, as is the WinXP box that's networked off of the same DSL connection through my Netgear 802.11b router. I too have tried reinstalling and repairing IE 6 SP1, checking for new updates, even uninstalling the SBC DSL issued browser (which is based off of IE - which makes me believe that may have been a culprit). Next I'll probably try uninstalling my Norton products to see if they might be the cause. Did the suggestions offered by carrr help out? And do you think I could use these on my Win98 machine? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. . .

i hadn't seen that KB article before, but i had tried all the stuff in it (that pertained to me anyway)... my client does not have the norton internet security or norton personal firewall on the system.

i tried changing the value of the encoding key in the registry, but no dice. changing the encoding only seems to be a workaround.

i still need to try carr's advice from above, but i haven't been back to the office yet for any length of time.

well, I have sbc yahoo dsl and this happened to me the first time I installed it and I kept changing the encoding to western european windows for a few days and it went away by itself .

I had to re-install my dsl software again and it's happening again so I guess i'm going to have to be patient and wait for it to go away because nothing I try worksd either...

p.s. if you find a solution , plz post it here cuz this is ANNOYING ..:/

Okay - here's what worked for me (finally). I first uninstalled everything (all SBC Yahoo! DSL software, Norton Internet Security 2000, Norton Utilities 2002, and Norton Antivirus 2003). As I was completing the back up of all my important files (getting ready to reinstall Win98), I decided - what the heck - let me try it one more time. I loaded up the basic SBC Yahoo software again, and magically - the problem had disappeared. In the meantime I had deleted quite a few useless files and programs from my harddrive, so I'm not quite sure what did the trick. I think in the end that it was a combination of software from the DSL install CD. My suggestion to anyone else with this SBC Yahoo DSL problem - try either disabling from the msconfig startup utility or uninstalling completely a few of the Yahoo products at a time until you get it to work for you. Good luck - and I hope I never run into this problem again.

That last bit of advice has always been good. Ever since the beginning of dial-up modems ISP's have installed all kinds of junk with your connection. Unneccessary in the most part.
For DSL,usually all that is needed is that the tech's know the MAC address of the modem and your pc knows the user name and password to use when connecting.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I have same problem with Windows 98 and have tried everything. By switching the encoding on IE I have been able to get images to load. The problem first started when I loaded MSN 8.

Has anyone or Microsoft found solution?

:( nope, i'm still trying but no luck. for now ,i'm switching the encoding same as you ...

Hi all

I have been trying to fix this problem for a few months. I have searched almost daily to try to find a solution but to no avail. I have just two computers networked through a cheapy edimax router. If I take the router out of the loop and connect direct it seems to fix the problem. Not sure why. Reinstallation does not work. I have tried it twice. It will be a huge waste of time unless you do not install SP1. Hopefully this will save some other poor soul from wasting the amount of time I have used trying to fix this hellish problem. I have never had a problem I did'nt find or figure out a fix for, but this one is definitely my nemesis right now. I'll be glad to post back if I find a proper fix. Hate like hell running without my hardware firewall in the meantime.

I am yet another that has been getting the red x
I have gone to the microsoft support pages
tries all the options
called my provider to make certain they are not blocking and scripting or ads or anything like that.
I did the ie repair
updated my java and active x
I simply do not understand what is happening and why or how to fix it.
I use zone alarm but get the same results with it shut down
so Im only voicing my own frustration here and hope that someone stumbles on the solution
Ive tried all that I found posted on the net so far!
thanks for listening
Tress

I had the Internet Explore picture display problem described on this thread. I was able to fix it this morning by following the instructions at the Micrsoft link listed on this thread
The fix to the problem involved editing the registry. This was item 10 on the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 283807.
The problem is described in the article. A reference to a file is missing in the registry. When a web page is being displayed that is encoded in Western European (ISO) pictures are not displayed if the registry is incomplete. This was the first time I've ever edited the registry I had no problem.

I was having a similar problem and finally just fixed it. Apparently the Visual Basic Script Support was missing or corrupt. I downloaded and installed the Windows Script 5.6 update (file name scr56en.exe) from Microsoft and now my IE6 works. I was getting a blank screen on some pages. Also, even though the update says it is for 98,ME, and NT4 I decided to try it on my XP since I couldn't find one listed for XP. It worked. Afterwards I ran MS update and also Norton SystemWorks WinDoctor just to be safe. Hope this helps someone else.

that didn't work for me sadly... I don'tt know what i did the last time to fix it .plz keep posting more suggestions everyone i'll try anything !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back