Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IE Takeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

notatekky

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2003
AU
There was a post a couple of weeks ago relating to the takeover of Internet Explorer that resets the Homepage. I have suffered the same problem and the suggested solution of using Spybot was tried but the problem has resurfaced (have also used Adaware). I have even gone into the Registry to delete the pointers, but again the problem keeps coming back. The offending site in this case is sfux.com.

I am now getting Pi@@ed off.

Any suggestions please

Sounds like you may have a virus. Do you have an up to date antivirus program installed? Do you update its definitions file on a regular weekly basis? If not you are vulnerable to a virus attack.

Also you should have a software firewall installed like ZoneAlarm Pro 4x.

>>>sfux.com <<<

you have to know that file sounds phony from day one. You could have gotten that by visiting a sex web site.

Programs like Spybot and Ad-aware have to be run at least twice a week if you log onto the internet a lot.

Thanks for the response however the PC is used for business and no I didn't visit the site sfux.com though I suspect you are correct in your assessment of it. I do have a current antivirus package and have run it. It detects nothing.

Registry line on Start is

I keep blowing this away along with any related reference to sfuxbut after 2 logins it returns.

More help requested.

Thanks

have you put all those keywords, &quot;sfux&quot;, &quot;google&quot; and all that through the registry? could be hiding out somewhere else ...

also check for IE security/critical updates of the Microsoft website that may help block offending problems like this.

i found this, which mentions &quot;sfux&quot; as being part of Lop.

hope that helps.

Is this the link you referred to. Did you try any of the other options?

internet explorer invaded!
thread779-592111

Try placing &quot; in IE's Restricted Sites, in your Firewalls or Anti Virus Scanners, banned sites if they have such a thing.
You could also place a reference to it in your Hosts file.

When you surf the Internet, do it as a limited user, so that the tighter restrictions make this type of hijack harder. Look at the Reg Keys involved and the permissions that can be set for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back