Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Identifying an analog fax line from BCM w/PRI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWildBob

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2019
US
Hi Everyone,

I was throwen into this project and I hope someone can help me.

We have a BCM 400 with a PRI from the provider and 1120E IP Phones. The previous company that maintained the system did some strange things. They connected both Fax lines to a DMARC connected to the BCM400. I can tone out the wire but not able to figure out how to find it in the BEM. When I call out from the Fax line, the caller ID shows the main number. When I call an internal extension, it shows 2221. When I call from the outside in, I get a busy signal. I looked into the system and was not able to locate any reference of the fax numbers or where they are connected. Are the DID numbers from the providor entered into the BEM and then routed to a line/extension?

I hope this confusion makes sense.

Thanks

Bob

are the DID numbers from the provider entered into the BEM and then routed to a line/extension?"
Yes as jsaad states, but these are analog lines so they would would be connected to Trunk ports.
The Trunk ports in turn would be assigned to the Analog Station port/s.

Fax machines are connected to the Analog Station ports.
When you look at under Active Sets you will see "analog" in the "model" column....note the DN's.

In your case look a active sets X2221 and note the model type, then see what line is assigned to it.

"The previous company that maintained the system did some strange things."
It is not strange to connect fax lines to a PBX but the starting DN by default is 2221 which would have been reception set so the install tech changed the starting DN to something lower it sounds like.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

With your information, I was able to poke around and figure out what I needed to do. It turns out that the DN for 2221 was set to the reception extension. Also, the line field was empty. So I added the next available line with the last 4 of the DID number and got it working.

Thanks again for your help!!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back