Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ideas for job & inventory tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoja

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
Hi, we are currently in the process of finding new technology to track jobs that are in production. It will also interface with our inventory if not directly incorporated into it.

This is a component manufacturing facility. We produce Silestone Countertops, about 30 to 35 kitchens a day, so we need to find a way to track these jobs as they move trough production and into the final stages of our process.

Any thoughts? help? suggestions? please advice.... I guess my main question is, will barcoding support these specs required? how expensive of a technology is it to implement? is it accurate? and does anyone know how it compares to GPS technology?

Do you have a computerized job/production reporting now?
Do you print jobs sheets?

"It will also interface with our inventory if not directly incorporated into it."
What is your inventory system software and hardware?
What package or language?
Do you have the source programs and file layouts?

we currently print out a work order that goes into production. This work order comes from a PDF file that's saved on our server. We also have a program called Job Tracker that was developed in .asp and run under a SQL Database. We use this program to manage pricing, Installers Schedule, Measure Schedules, job information, inventory etc. I guess we were looking for something that incorporates into this program, unless there is something better out there, like a whole package. Job tracker was a fairly low in cost program, we would have no problems changing it to something that works better for us.

Hi Hoja,
where are you located?
or what's your company?
can I talk to you about silestone?
Sam

you could get a barcode font to add to you documents which would put a barcode on them as they are printed. This could be the Order number or whatever.
Scaning could be done with a USB scaner connected to the PC whihc would put the barcode data anywhere the cursor is blinking on the screen no other software is needed.

DougP, MCP, A+

mobile bar code printers.

that's all i can say, small enough to clip to a belt, the wireless connectivity can relay info to the pc and with a scanner in the other hand, labels can be printed and such right there and stuck on, this can honestly save hours and hours throughout the year.

getting a system running to properly integrate with the setup you already have is the tricky thing.

one company who i'm aware of is somebody like Bar Code Data Systems, ( who provide full solutions - they'll come down, sort out the hardware, the setup and even have the programming experience to code you up an interface to your system.

it's well worth thinking about going wireless and mobile. maybe even rfid if you want to future proof yourself and can stand the extra expense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back