Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QR code for username and password (LogIn Barcode) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zks

MIS
Apr 20, 2012
US
Dear Friends

I want to create a QR code for username and password to log on to my email account. Please give me some advice how to encode that... Specialy Tab opstion (to jump from username in to the password area?

Thank you!

You want to use you email account. You don't want to write username and password in to the log in screen

Since carrying around a barcode and barcode reader seems like a royal pain to me, I just store my email login credentials within the workstation's Outlook (it is only accessible when I have logged myself into the workstation's Windows) and then I don't have to type anything in.

Also, while we have been focusing on your request to get the TAB as part of your Username/Password entry, the more likely encountered delineator between the Username and Password would be a Carriage Return with or without the Line Feed (CrLf) like would be represented by pressing the Enter key on the keyboard.

Here is one way that I got around the GUI data entry problem of entering John TAB Doe into the following barcode generating application:
123 Barcode Maker

I used MS Word (or Notepad) and entered the desired text
John Doe <a TAB was typed between the words>
I then copied the whole string and pasted it into the text entry field of the application's GUI, selected the barcode as Code 39 Extended and hit Create - voila! the barcode was generated.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Between us, jrbbldr and I have described several different methods of getting a Horizontal Tab (hexadecimal 09) character as part of the text input to a bar-code generator.

The two bar-codes which I posted as attachments DEFINITELY include a <HT> character between the two strings, although they aren't terminated with <CR> or <LF> control-code characters.

I don't think that the issue is how to generate a <HT> character.

Instead, it is probably (almost certainly) something to do with one of the following:

- You are assuming that the scanner output will be 'sent' to the login text boxes; is this the case?
Does anything appear in those boxes when you scan a bar-code?

- How is your target application (an unspecified email client) supposed to interpret the output from the scanner, especially control-code characters?

- Perhaps the scanner itself is stripping out control code characters?

DansDadUK,
you are right. I accept and I tested, all your advices, but non of them filled the login text boxes correctly (username, JUMP(TAB), password, ENTER). Maybe the scanner that I'm using is not setup to recognize control code characters. I'll recheck that today and I will repost any new conclusions.

When I scan the qr codes, the data info (text) like ( username~009password: username~d009password: username + ~d009 + password : username<HT>d009password
: username + 0x09 + password ...etc)
all comes in to the username textbox only. The control code for the TAB (horisontal TAB) is not recognizable, and full text is read and post only in to the username textbox.

Whatsoever, Thanks a lot. I will continued to search for a solution for this idea (QR for autologin). Good luck to all of you, also!

When I scan the qr codes, the data info (text) like ( username~009password: username~d009password: username + ~d009 + password : username<HT>d009password
: username + 0x09 + password ...etc)
all comes in to the username textbox only

What happens if you read that same data into a blank MS Word or Notepad document?

You should be able to determine if a TAB exists between the words - both visually and by moving your cursor from letter to letter and on to the next word.

If visually there is a gap between the words and, on moving the cursor, it 'jumps' across the gap, the TAB exists within the data that was Read and was delivered by the Reader.

If that were the case, then it is the recipient Application that is not behaving as you want.

If the TAB does not exist in the Word or Notepad document, then the next suspect would be the Reader and/or its configuration (as I suggested a good ways above).

And finally, assuming that you can confirm that the Reader is working as needed, then it would be the barcode itself and/or how its printing application works.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back