Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICND vs CCNA .. btw HI! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synonix

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
US
Hey guys,

i haven't really spoken on these forums yet, but i have been reading a lot on what you guys have to say about issues ppl are having and you are all awesome :p but I'm trying the get my CCNA via ICND1/2 exams. Im pretty sure this is the right route but i just want another opinion. Im currently cracking down on a PDF version of ICND1 by ciscopress its not pirated ...i swear....

but it seems really good and ive learned ALOT from it so far.

i also have a ...non pirated... version of nuggets CCNA that i didnt look at yet but im assuming it covers the whole CCNA vs my ciscopress only providing for the ICND1.

Which would be better to invest time into?

thanks a BUNCH! :D

No he didn't! LoL

I know what you mean Buirt! I still have a drawer full of meds from the surgery that I need to dispose of! Avoided them as much as possible! Really hate forgetting something before I am done reading it!!! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Feel free to "dispose" of them this way, if you're ever around...lol

Burt

Hi All,

What do you think of getting a pair of 2960 SL (WS-C2960-24-S) switches for the ICND2 part?
They are running the LanLite IOS image so could be kind of crippled but at least they come cheaper as their -TTL brothers.
Or maybe a set of 2950 (non-S) series? I'm not sure what difference will it make...
How about the WS-C3548-XL-EN? They are dirty cheap and AFAIK support ISL.

felixtudoran,

As I said above READ the blog on setting up a CCNA Lab by Wendell Odom CCIE and Cisco author at Networkworld -

He discusses switches and the 2950 seems to be the sought after switch for CCNA as well as being a good part of a CCNP lab!!!!

I know I am putting a new CCNA lab together for the Cisco Academy I work for and Cisco suggests the Cisco WS-C2960-24TT-L for the CCNA switches - 3 of them. These are Cisco Catalyst 2960 24 10/100 + 2 1000BT with the LAN Base Image. So it looks like they are suggesting the more expensive TT-L model!!! At about $900 each new, I think that for your home lab I would stick with the 2950s at about $125 each on Ebay!!! Read the blog above, you want 3 switches but you could work a few other models in!!!

Good luck!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks CiscoGuy33!
I will go for the 2950 switches but I hear people saying that 2950 vs 2950s would make a difference in the set of commands they support. I see lots of them on eBay but all are 2950 and not 2950s. Is there a way to tell that by looking at the IOS image?

Thanks,
Felix

Linux+

Thanks maczen, that was helpful although it looks like I'm a little out of luck at the moment. None of the Enhanced versions are available on ebay.

So, going back to the 2960 with LanLite image ( is this a good match for the ICND2 exam? I did not get to the second part yet so don't know about the requirements but I will soon since I'm taking the ICND1 in two weeks from now and want to have the lab up and running to jump to ICND2.

Your replies are highly appreciated!
Felix

Linux+, Network+, A+

2950 and 2950s???
I would thing the poster who posted 2950s would mean 2950s would be plural---like two 2950's...
Is there a 2950s???
Did you mean 2924 vs 2950?

Burt

Yeah, I figured it out later :)
The question would have been Enhanced IOS or Standard IOS. Now I know but can't find what I need on ebay.

Linux+, Network+, A+

Felix,
The best thing that you could do is to to take a look at the CCNP switching (BCMSN) blueprint and compare that to the switches that you are considering purchasing...

Two areas that stand out to me are Private VLAN's and VACL's... both of which are referenced twice in the blueprint and neither supported on the 2950/60 to my knowledge.. (Please do not confuse Private VLAN with Private VLAN Edge which is a different technology)... In fact, even the 3550 does not support PVLAN's which leaves the 3560 (A VERY EXPENSIVE OPTION) at the moment! I would personally buy the 2950's or 2960's if you can afford and use them for CCNA and 70% of the CCNP and wing Private VLAN's if it were me (That is my plan!)

Just map the blueprint to the switch that you are looking at in regard to features...

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back