Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a low profile PCI video card. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfish

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
What's the fastest low profile PCI video card out there and where can I get one? I've looked around but can't find many and no one that sells them. Seems like all of them out there are Geforce2 MX based, is that what you've found too?

Pricewatch wasn't much help this time, I tried it before I came here. I need a PCI card because the computer doesn't have an AGP slot (it's a new Gateway, one of those stupid micro slim tower deals). It's at work and I'm just hoping for something better that the integrated video.

You can get a ATI Radeon 32MB PCI video card or you can get a video card based upon the GeForce series, it's all a matter of how much you are going to be pushing upon the card and how much you are wanting to spend on it. Enkrypted
A+

There are GeForce4 MX 440 cards that have 64MB of memory available in PCI. You will find it at pricewatch. When you go out there, click Video Cards under the Multimedia section. Then scroll down on the right and click "PCI 64MB". On the second page, you'll see the first hit for the GeForce4 MX PCI by Innovision...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I know I can get PCI video cards on pricewatch, but I need a low profile one... And the only ones I can find are 8meg Nvidia Vantas.

low profile and fast dont jive. for fast you will need onboard cooling,
hi to cdogg , long time no threads! pearl.

Well, instead of just saying you want a "low profile" one, why don't you describe exactly what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

Do you care if it's SDRAM or SGRAM on the video card? Do you care if it has 8MB or less? Are you looking for a particular brand (ATI, Nvidia, etc)?

Here's another list (some PCI and others AGP) in case you didn't see it:

Also try EBAY... ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

For those who don't know what a "low-profile" card is (and apparently few here do), it is a card with a special short faceplate so that it will fit into one of Gateway's puny (essentially proprietary) little boxes.

I wish I had an answer for you drfish, but I spent nearly a week on the same ultimately fruitless search. You may want to check ebay and google, but I'm betting you already have.

If AOL sold hardware, it would be a Gateway ;)

Thank you for explaining that nohandle4me. Yeah, I've checked everywhere, that's why I posted the question here. I found this but I can't find the product for sale anywhere. It's not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to have something better that what's built into the motherboard.

I know that I'm probably speaking out of turn here but wouldn't it be possible to buy what you want, remove it's faceplate and either cut it down or modify an existing faceplate to fit.
Of course you need to be a bit handy with a junior hacksaw, drill and file.
Just a though (from the old school of "if you can't buy it, make it) Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

"low profile" = Gateway "proprietary"?? No wonder...

It is always a good idea to describe what you mean. Very few people would know about this terminology unless they support it or own it...
LOL - doesn't seem like that would be many!

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Sorry cdogg, I've heard the term "low profile" before and didn't think to explain it, thanks for trying to help in spite of my negligence.

paparazi, yeah, that's what I'm thinking I'll have to end up doing, I'll have to do some measuring to made sure that will work.

Is the fastest PCI video card out there the Radeon 9000 that PowerColor makes? I haven't seen reviews of it, but it seems like there should be since it's the only PCI graphics card out the that supports DX8.

hey drfish, this might be what i have been looking for. cdogg what do you think of the 9000? not a bad price either!

Doesn't the GF4 MX440 support DX8? anyway either the Radeon or the GF4.
Further to what we were taking about, modifying a faceplate.
It's only a piece of mild steel plate, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a job as long as the PCI slots are located in the same position as a standard motherboard.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

The Geforce4 MX anything does NOT support vertex and pixel shaders.

It would be easy to take the faceplate off the card and yes, the PCI slots are in the same arrangment. The only problem is finding a card that isn't too wide and would prevent the case from closing. Also, without a proper faceplate in the back it would be hard to secure the card in place. You'd have to bend and modify the facepate not just remove it.

Obviously though, it would be nice to find a card MADE for this application. I know they have been, but they seem impossible to find now.

Actually, the GeForce4 MX has pixel pipelines capable of DX8 emulation. However, it does not have vertex shaders as you mention, though the Radeon 9000 chip has both.

killowhat,
The only advantage of the GF4 MX 460 is that it has a faster GPU Clock than the Radeon 9000. However the 9000 makes up for it by including the vertex shaders and being the only budget DirectX 8.1 card out there. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 9000 Pro.

Here's an article as well as a brief comparison chart:

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

drfish im sure you have already done this but got to mention it, contact gateway. you definately have a low profile issue. better check your power supply.
cdogg, i only have a 210w psu, that sucks.
drfish you know if you modify the card it voids your warranty, good luck!

I believe the CPU is what emulates pixel shaders (which would be a good reason to put a DX8 card in even a low end system, save as many CPU cycles as you can for other things). Vertex shaders on the other hand can't be emulated (or at least aren't) and require the GPU to have the ability to do them.

Also, Gateway is no help, they don't offer PCI video cards period. Oh well.

Regardless of what does the emulation, GPU or CPU, you wouldn't want it anyway. If you're really stuck on getting a genuine DirectX 8 experience with decent frame rates, then I wouldn't go for either - the Radeon 9000 or the GF4 MX.

Of course, if they are you're only 2 options, then the 9000 is a no-brainer...

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back