Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a low profile PCI video card. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfish

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
What's the fastest low profile PCI video card out there and where can I get one? I've looked around but can't find many and no one that sells them. Seems like all of them out there are Geforce2 MX based, is that what you've found too?

The Radeon 9000 does have slightly better benchmark figures than the GF4 MX440, just 2-300 points.
The Geforce though has better driver support and will cost slightly less?
There is no need to loose your warranty, remove the face plate for safekeeping and modify one from something else (you can always refit the original if the card needs returning) Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

cdogg, I totally agree with you, I only said that because if you have a slow CPU and you want to play DX8 games with it you should have a DX8 video card to offload as much as possible from the CPU. If the CPU doesn't have to emulate pixel shaders because your video card can do it then it will be able to do more of what the CPU is supposed to. Of course you wouldn't want anything faster that the super low end because it's already over kill.

I'm thinking about getting a PCI Radeon 9000 for that exact reason for my fiánce's computer, it's a 700Mhz Celeron and needs all the help it can get. She won't let me do a major upgrade to it and it doesn't have an AGP slot, but since it uses integrated video a new video card would really help it out.

paparazi, I've seen plenty of reviews of the Radeon 9000, but not one of the PCI version that PowerColor makes, I've also never seen reviews of it in a low end system compared to a Geforce4 MX or something... I don't have the resources but I'd be highly interested to see if my theory is correct.

How come the user posting the original thread question is the one who has the "helpful post" stars? shouldn't they be given to someone who answers the question?
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I think killowhat gave me one for pointing out the PCI Radeon 9000.

killowhat said on Dec 18, 2002:
"hey drfish, this might be what i have been looking for."

it wasnt me. i only give stars for techinal responses that help solve a specific problem.

I have received stars before for posting threads, and I've noticed that it isn't too uncommon. This is because sometimes the poster can bring up specific details or contribute to a discussion in such a way that others reading the thread might find helpful.

I think it depends on the circumstances. In this case, drfish was able to provide "off-topic" details about the Radeon 9000 and GeForce4 MX that someone else may have found helpful...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Not as I would like to. I think I will end up getting a normal PCI video card and modding it to fit (there should be just enough room). Now I would like it to be the PCI Radeon 9000, but I never buying anything like that without reading at least one review, and I can't find one, I guess that's the issue now.

drfish i found the 9000 video card on ebay . they live in the same town i live in. i will email them and get some additional info if possible.

I would like to know from drfish if the card modification worked. I have a Gateway with the flex case, and am in the exact same boat. I have spent two days looking high and low for a low profile PCI video card and have had no luck. Gateway appologized and offers to help me buy a new PC! The 8MB intergrated card just doesn't have enough juice to do some of the work I am trying to do. Thanks.

You can get low profile card plates from PC shops that sell low profile cases (at least where i live anyway) or contact your pc mfg.

Hello all,

I took drfish's advice and found a PCI card that would fit even thought it did not have a "low-profile" designation on the box or documentation. It was a PALIT DAYTONA with a NVIDIA TNT2-M64 chipset with 32MB RAM. The card just fit into the Flex-ATX case that I have (Gateway proprietary). The only modification I had to do was fabricate a bracket from the blank one that was on the case (10 minutes). Seems to work like a charm so far. There is no fan on the card (heat sink only) so the case gets a little hot, hopefully this will not cause any other problems. I have hooked up a small fan externally that blows air into the case (which by the way is poorly vented). In case you are interested, I bought the card from Kei Computer in Doroville, GA. They were at a computer show here in Chicago.

I am in the same boat as you Dr Fish. I dont know if this discussion is even alive anymore, but if anyone checks it, I would be interested in finding out how it was resolved...please! I'm in the exact same boat.

Well, it's been a while since this thread started, but I just did a search on "low profile video cards" in Google and got back a bunch more returns than when I was facing this issue.

I'd start with that then look at the tech sites for reviews.

This article talks about both the 9000 and 9000 Pro.

This article I think is talking about the 9000 itself, but without calling it that. I'm not sure though.

Hope it helps. Like I mentioned above, I just bought a regular sized ATX case and moved my Gateway's guts over. It was getting WAY too hot with a low profile card installed.

Check out if you have an intel chip to check the temps inside your box.

drfish, Here is a link that might help.
I, too have had the same problem and this seems to be the best deal that I have found.
BTW, Gateway isn't the only one selling these suck-butt cases that only support low-profile video cards, Dell (which I have) does it too. They're just so damn clever.

GodLivesUnderwater et al -

I was thinking of moving the guts of my gateway 300s flexcase to a regular case as well. How hard is this? Did you have to buy/make a bunch hardware or brackets to make it work? Is it worth it? Any potential pitfalls?

thx

jpring

I was a complete novice to moving hardware in computers and was scared to death, but knew I had to make the move if I was going to be adding new equipment to my PC (gamer needed video card and sound card!). BUT it was SO easy. All the parts of hardware in the 300s are easily transferred to another box without special brackets. Gateway makes somewhat proprietary systems, but all the main pieces are standard. They just figured out how to jam it all in a little box and somehow forgot to tell the sales and tech people that the 300s does indeed have an AGP slot and/but if you add anything to the PC it's going to get dangerously hot.

The only caveat here is to make sure you're grounded well. I managed not to short anything out and all I was doing was working on a clean table with clean hands, handling all cards and parts by their edges and occasionally touching the screw of the faceplate of a nearby outlet to ground out any charge my body might be holding.

I suggest getting a box with a larger power supply. This allows for more expansion (more power outlets) should you wish to add future hardware. In fact by jumping to a 300 watt power supply I had to bundle the remaining outlets up and tuck them into an empty place in the case, but I was glad they were there when I added another HD and a floppy (the floppy was so I could flash the BIOS. Gateway support doesn't provide you with a floppyless solution for BIOS updates. Black to match - $10 NewEgg.com) drive.

The motherboard is ATX compatible so be sure to get an "ATX compatible" case. Everything else should carry over rather easily. One thing I had to do was configure a "blank" (the piece of metal that covers your standard output ports (ie. sound, parallel port, monitor)) to fit the 300s' goofy output layout, but that's not too hard with some patience. The plates are very thin and easy to work with. In fact I left the outputs bare with no problem until I could fashion a proper cover plate. I suggest you do this as it adds stiffness to the mobo, keeps out dust, and keeps everything lined up nicely.

Another thing I ran into was the power button on the 300s and it’s little light have a six or eight pin (I’d have to open the side of my pc to look) connector whereas my new case’s power button only had two pins for the power, two for the reset and two for two different LEDs. By trial and error I figured out which two pairs of pins of the six or eight was power and hooked one of the LEDs into another pair to show the case was powered up just for the heck of it. The reset and additional light I didn't hook up. I called support to ask what the pin assignment was for the motherboard connection, but it was outside their realm of knowledge and responsibility I guess.

I didn't have to buy any other products to move over the internals. The case I purchased came with a little ziplock of screws and washers and such (I've still got a slew of extras) to secure the HD, CD-ROM, etc. securely in place and the screw that holds the motherboard down transferred nicely to the new case.

Was it worth it yes, I saw a SIGNIFICANT temperature decrease (15 degreesish) inside my box using Intel's temperature monitor program I mention above somewhere. Of course, I bought a case that has five fans in it, but I'm not a stickler for noise. I was able to add an additional HD, floppy, I will be adding a DVD ROM burner when I sort out how that all works, and normal size PCI and AGP cards fit my motherboard now.

I found no pitfalls. Just a box that was cooler, more space for add-ons, and room for full size cards!

i know there are a million suggestions but i am a another victim of the gateway dilemma. Is there a proven video card that will work with kinks. Any help?

It features ...

PCI - lest we get off the subject - and comes with the extra low profile bracket included
(click "more pictures" - "accessories")

TV-out for greater flexibility (divx on your TV)
$50 + shipping

CreamCake is right, I got this exact card from directron for my cute case. I didn't know for sure if I'd get the extra bracket with it, but was nice to see it in the box when it arrived. Noticeable difference in the video though, I can evern run the new SWG game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back