Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I got a home netwokring problem see 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBishopX

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I got a home netwokring problem see my internet works fine on both of my computers but it wont file share. im using the router and i enabled file sharing on both computers and when i try to access one computer it says I dont have permission im running to different OS i got one running off of XP and another off of windows 98. the internet works fine but it wont allow me to file share. is there any steps you could give me or anything i am messing up that i could do to file share.?

SirBishopX,

You need to create a user account on the XP machine that exactly matches the account used on the Win98 machine. For example, if you log into the Win98 machine with an account of UserA, then set up an account on the XP machine called UserA. You do not need to log into the user account on the XP machine. It just has to exist.

Also make sure that
- The workgroup names are exactly the same on both machines
- Each machine has a unique name
- Sharing is enabled on both machines
- Something is shared on both machines.

Post back if you are still having difficulties.
The Old Man

Ok see but the problem is i dont have a user account created on 98 i have it setup so that when the computer turns on it automaticly loads everything and im set to go without having ot add any names or passwords. and i got both computers named workgroup also im not able to ping windows 98 but im able to ping XP from the 98 computer.. its like they are not talking to eacher other but they still are able to et omn the internet. is their anyway you could give me step by step directions to go by?

Can you see both computers from within network neighborhood from both machines? The pinging problem concerns me. Can the XP machine ping itself? Is there a firewall installed on the XP machine that is maybe blocking the ICMP port (port 7). Also, on the XP machine, check the the "Guest" user account is enabled.

whats NTFS? and my 98 can ping the XP and itself but XP cant ping 98 but it can ping itsself

SirBishopX,

Two immediate issues:
* Each computer needs to have a unique name.
* Even if you have the Win98 machine set to load without a log-in, you need to have an account to log on to the network. This account will need to exactly match an account on the XP machine. Let's say you are using UserA on the 98 machine.

On the Win98 machine:
- Open the Network control panel
- Make sure the "Client for Microsoft Networks" is set as the Primary Network Logon. (I suspect you are not using a network logon)
- Click on the Identification tab.
- Enter a unique computer name like "ComputerA" in the name field.
- Enter something like "Workgroup" in the Workgroup name.
- Click on the Access Control tab and make sure that "Share Level Access Control" is checked.
- Click OK to save the changes and reboot, of course.
- After rebooting, share a file or folder.

Important Note - On rebooting, if you are presented with a Network Logon dialog box, YOU MUST CLICK OK OR HIT ENTER. DO NOT CLICK CANCEL or you will not be logged into the network.

On the XP machine:
- On the desktop, right-click "My Computer" and choose Properties.
- Click on the "Computer Name" tab and click on the "Change" button.
- Enter a unique name like "ComputerB" in the computer name.
- Enter the same workgroup name as on the Win98 machine.
- Click OK to save the changes.

- Open the "User Accounts" control panel
- Choose "Create a new user account" and create an account for UserA. You can make it a limited account.
- Click OK to save changes.
- Share some file or folder.

Then try exploring the Network Neighborhood again. It might take a little while before all the machines appear in the Network Neighborhood.

Note - On NT, Win2K and XP, there is am administrative share of the logical drives. Do not try to use these. These can only be used by accounts with administrator priviliges.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

I think you deserve a star for that "tip"!

mike

Important Note - On rebooting, if you are presented with a Network Logon dialog box, YOU MUST CLICK OK OR HIT ENTER. [red]DO NOT CLICK CANCEL or you will not be logged into the network.[/red]

The file system has nothing to do with the sharing. NTFS is the NT File System used on Win NT, 2K and XP. Win9X uses FAT. But that has no bearing on sharing.

The Old Man

Ok, I tried that and i am still unable to gt connected to the 98 or the Xp through 98 i did everything step by step ewven made the user account on XP the same as of 98 im boggled what could be wrong.

SirBishopX,

On the XP machine
- Open the Network and Internet Connections control panel
- Open the Local Area Network connection
- Click on the Properties tab
- Click on the Advanced tab
- If the Internet Connection Firewall is turned on, turn it off and then try pinging the Win98 machine. If you get a response to the ping, the firewall was the problem.
- If the firewall was not turned on, are you running any other personal firewall software such as ZoneAlarm, Kerio or Tiny Personal Firewall, Sygate, etc.? If so, turn it off and try pinging again.

Note that if you are behind a Linksys or any other router doing NAT, XP's Internet Connection Firewall is redundant. The router's NAT protects you from incoming attacks. XP's ICF also provides incoming attack protection. A personal firewall behind a router should also provide protection against rogue applications or trojans trying to get out to the internet. ICF does not do this.

The Old Man

OK. Tell me exactly what happens when you ping the Win98 box from the XP box. Does the ping time out waiting for a response or does it get a socket error or some other error?

Are you, or were you, running any other proxy or firewall software on the XP box?

The Old Man

Dude, try installing netBEUI on WIN98 machine. Browse to your NIC properties. Click "advanced" select protocol-and then slect netBEUI. Reboot log-in accordingly and you should be good to go.

That won't do anything unless NetBEUI is installed on the XP machine also (which it's not by default). Even though it's a little easier to configure, adding more protocols sometimes makes things worse.

Post back the following information, clearly separated by computer:

Win 98
IP address
Computer name
Workgroup
installed protocols
primary network logon
share level access control or user level access control
TCP/IP Bindings
Browse Master setting for File & Print sharing

Win XP
Ip address
Computer name
User account names (and yes or no for password)
Workgroup
installed protocols
Simple or standard file sharing

SirBishopX,

Let me make sure I understand all the details:
- TCP/IP protocol is loaded on both machines
- Each machine now has a unique name
- Both machines have exactly the same workgroup name
- Both machines ARE able to access the internet
- The Win98 machine can ping both itself and the WinXP machine
- The WinXP machine CAN ping itself but can NOT ping the Win98 machine. The ping times out.
- XP's Internet Connection Firewall is turned OFF

If the above is all correct, it would seem that the basic networking components are all correct and working. If not, you would not be able to access the internet. You would also not be able to ping in EITHER direction from one of the machines. So something is either blocking the ICMP ping traffic going out from the XP box or blocking the incoming response to the ping.

I know you verified that XP's ICF is off but are you absolutely certain there are no other security programs running. All the symptoms point to this. Programs that could be used are:
ZoneAlarm [Pro version or free version]
Norton Personal Firewall
BlackIce Defender
Sygate Personal Firewall
McAfee Internet Security

or any on the list here
If you are running any of these, you will need to either disable it or adjust the settings to include the Win98 machine in the "trusted" address group. Chances are that if pings are being blocked, NetBIOS is also but try this. On the XP machine, open a command prompt and type the folowing without the quotes
"net user guest /active:yes"
Then try to map a drive on the XP box from the 98 box.

The Old Man

I have a similar problem, and I have found that by pinging the other computer's NAME ie Desktop1 ,the DNS returns an IP of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx ,and ofcourse can't find it because its auto assigned ip(from router) is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx
You may have this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back