Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I got a home netwokring problem see 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBishopX

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I got a home netwokring problem see my internet works fine on both of my computers but it wont file share. im using the router and i enabled file sharing on both computers and when i try to access one computer it says I dont have permission im running to different OS i got one running off of XP and another off of windows 98. the internet works fine but it wont allow me to file share. is there any steps you could give me or anything i am messing up that i could do to file share.?

flippie,

If you are running a home network, you do not have your own DNS. It is your ISP's DNS. Your desktop's name would not have made it into their DNS. If you did get a hit on the name it is purely coincidental and would not have the same IP address as yours.

SirBishopX,

To rule out the DNS issue, add the IP address of your computers to the LMHOSTS file in the C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\etc folder. You can edit the LMHOSTS.SAM file with Notepad and just add an entry at the bottom with the IP address and name of the computer. Then do a Save As LMHOSTS without the SAM extension. Note, you may have to remove the .txt extension from the file. It will not work if there is an extension on the file. Then try to ping the Win98 machine by name. If it still does not respond, it is not a naming or DNS issue.

If you want to get this resolved, you will need to answer the questions posed earlier by smah and myself.

The Old Man

the ones with the ? marck are questions on how to get that information andi dont understand by the LMHOST file because I went their and it gone to some directions and I did not understand what the direction was telling me

Win 98
IP address: 192.168.1.100
Computer name: MAGDA
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
installed protocols: ?
primary network logon: ?
share level access control: admin
TCP/IP Bindings: ?
Browse Master setting for File & Print sharing: ?

Win XP
Ip address: 192.168.1.101
Computer name: XAVIER
User account names (and yes or no for password): Xavier & Rosa password yes
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
installed protocols: ?
Simple or standard file sharing: ?

when i go to ru and type \\xavier im able to connect to it on my xp but when i try \\magda the 98pc i cant it says network path not found.

and when im on the 98 i can \\xavier and get to the xp and browse and i can browse it self perfectly but i cant from XP so it must be with something with XP

Short answer on the last two posts is that you are trying to use a "name based" facility without having any resource to resolve the names. A little over-simplified but that is the bottom line.

Now for the other info.

On the 98 machine:
- Open the Network control panel
- In the upper portion of the dialog, there is a box with various elements in it. You are interested in those that have either a computer icon or a cable icon next to them. What is listed there are the services and protocols. Post back with what is listed there.
- In the middle of the dialog box, there is a dropdown for Primary Network Logon. Which one is selected there?
- Select the File and Printer Sharing entry and click Properties. In the dialog box that comes up, you should see two entries. One for Browse Master and one for LM Announce. Select each and note the value. Post back with those values.

On the XP machine:
- Open Control Panels > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections and double click the Local Area Connection. Then click on the Properties button. Again, look for entries that have the computer icon and the cable icon. Post back with what is listed there.
- Open Control Panels > Appearance and Themes > Folder Options. On the View tab, under Advanced settings, check if Use simple file sharing [Recommended] is checked and post back.

The Old Man

hey i got everything working fine thanx people. what i did is i was stumped so i decided to read everything in this thread to see if their was something that i missed and about the firewall issue i noticed that i did have nortan on 98 so what i did is i gone to nortan and they had a office home networking wizzard type deal and assigned the IP in nortan so it wouldnt block my IP out. thanks people for the great help and sorry for it taking so long every information was helpful.

Thanks for the info,but I think I may have a router issue:

1)laptop has win XP ,wireless nic, auto ip, dns enabled with the router ip(192.168.1.1) firewall disabled.
2)desktop has win ME, pci nic,auto ip,dns enabled (router ip)
3)Linksys wireless gateway,infrastructure mode(for wired/wireless network) DHCP server enabled, wan has adsl connection from modem.
Gateway is router ip (192.168.1.1)

All basic network settings are done, workgroup is WORKGROUP,pc names are unique,client logon is "ok" with no passwords.
Here's my problem: Both pc's can browse internet,both pc's can "see" each other in network neighborhoods,win ME pc can access XP laptop but XP laptop can't find win ME pc.Both pc's can ping themselves ie 129.168.1.101 or pinging"laptop" will return that ip.Same with win ME desktop. However when I ping "laptop" from desktop it starts by returning an ip of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and times out. Same result from pinging to "desktop1" from laptop. When i run winipcfg it shows host name as desktop1.my isp.net but I think host should be Desktop1 and my ip should be the one assigned by router .I hope this all makes sense
I have a similar wired network with SMC router at home and it works as it's supposed to.I hope I'm just missing something simple...

XP comes with a firewall, make sure it is turned off. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back