Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can't get my C-LAN to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

queenie2

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
US
I use a networked printer for the system printer on an R012i. this if how my link looks:
status link 1 Page 1 of 4
LINK/PORT STATUS

Link Number: 1
Link Status: restarting
Link Type: ethernet
Link Name: System Printer
Service Port Location: 01C1617
Service Port Data Extension: 2010
Service State: in-service/idle
Node Name: CLAN
Source IP Address: 10.17.152.56
Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
Broadcast Address: 10.17.155.255
Physical Address:
Enabled? yes
Maintenance Busy? no
Active Channels: 0

I have followed all the instructions and my technician says the wiring is correct. Is there something for the network technician to do?

I notice that the MAC address is missing. You may want to try reseating the C-LAN board.

Kevin

My network techician pointed out that it is using a broadcast address that I never input. where is it getting 10.17.155.255? when my two static ip's are
CLAN 10.17.152.56 and printer 10.17.152.79?

It is calculating the broadcast address based upon the subnet that you entered.

I know its a stack and the software says what I reported. Other than that how do you tell?

If it's a stack, it's an si. It it were a csi (Prologix) there's some additional software configuration that needs to be done.

Beyond that - There's a wire harness that sometimes needs to be replaced. This harness connects the back plane to the amphenol rack. Post your email address like this queeniedotroyaltyatkingdomdotcom and I'll send you a doc that explains this harness and which adaptors work with which C-LAN cards.

Just as an FYI queenie2.

If you ever need to know the what's of your system, you can type in "newterm" and that will list everything for you.

Mikey

Without the Physical Address (MAC) you will never be able to talk to the network.

Kevin

It was a bad slot!!!!! Thought you would all like to know.

Ann,

I tried to send an email, but it didn't work, came back as undeliverable. Cest la vie!

The doc was only a single page, so I'll paste the info here.

Glad you got it figured out,

Phil

~~~~~~~~~~~~

CLAN ADAPTORS

There has been some confusion around CLAN boards and back plane adaptors for the boards. Specifically, what speeds do they run at and what adaptor is required for which board. We have tried to answer some of these questions and to provide you with this
job-aid to help you in identifying your particular requirement.

TN799C - or earlier boards use the 259A adaptor and supports 10Mbs half duplex only. Comcode for the adaptor is 103796597.

TN799DP - uses the same adaptor as the Medpro board and supports 10Mb half/full duplex or 100Mb half/full duplex. The PBX must be R10 or higher for 100Mb support. The adaptor is KLC041400, comcode 848525887.

It is important to note that all of the older Definity carriers were built using CAT 3 cabling going from each carrier slot to the amphenol connector on the back plane. In order to achieve 100Mb speeds for your data, the wiring between the slot to the amphenol connector must be CAT 5. This requires T3 authorization and the CAT 5 cabling is comcode 700234032.

(Another CC for the CAT5 cable: 700181118.)

THIS MUST ALWAYS BE DONE WITH THE PBX POWERED DOWN and the instructions come with the cable kit.

Newer Definity carriers are being wired using CAT 5 cabling. These can be easily identified because they are twisted and they use colored wiring to distinguish them as CAT 5.

All Prologix carriers are CAT 5 compatible as there is no physical wiring between the slot and the back plane.

Back plain connectors have no wires in the top 2 holes on both connectors. The connector
on the left has as the first wire in the second hole down from the empty hole in the top
left a Violet/Brown wire. The right hand connector has a Blue/Orange wire in the right
hand row, second hole down from the empty hole in the top row. Also in the right hand
column the bottom 4 holes are empty and the third row up from the bottom will be
White/Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back