Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cannot connect to the internet with XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristisayles

Instructor
Nov 26, 2002
US
My computer dual boots into XP and 98. It has been working fine that way for several months. The other day it simply lost the internet connection in XP only! I have tried to ipconfig renew and release it, but to no avail.
I have even reinstalled XP. When I go to the repair tool, it simply says that it cannot connect to the DHCP. I have worked on this for hours!
Can anyone help?
Thanks

any ip showed when u type ipconfig

and did u use proxy server? if you are, take a look of your proxy setting and user setting, check if the user have the internet access Kill Ghost Prince

Kristi

Can we have more detail ie:

Is the connection dialup/adsl/lan?
Is the box on a network and if so is the proxy(as alluded to in the other response) set?

Thanks

I'm using a Linksys broadband cable modem. I have three computers that have been working fine with it. The one with dual XP and Windows 98 is the one I'm concerned with. I cannot connect to the internet using XP. I don't really care, but my husband does. He prefers XP and intends to use it. He's tried reinstalling EVERYTHING-even the network cards. Thanks for your help, everybody! Happy Thanksgiving!

Something to try.

Go the the CMD prompt: type
ipconfig /flushdns
to flush the PC's local DNS cache.

I tried. I'm still not able to connect. But I appreciate your trying! Any more suggestions?

I'll ask my question a different way - which pc is physically attached to the modem? How do the other pc's access the modem/internet? Are they all networked and if so which one is the gateway?

Let me know and I will fix the problem....

The PC beside the one with the problem is physiclly attached to the cable modem. The other two PC's access the internet through a LAN system.
They all USED to be networked. Now, we have lost that connection. We are no longer networked and cannot share files. We've set up the network several times throughout the years, but this time it just didn't work.
I can't help thinking there is just one little setting somewhere that is keeping the XP from accessing the internet. Remember, the same computer has no problem accessing the internet through Win. 98.
Again, thanks!

basic question
you XP is
home edition? or professional edition??
and

using the most updated network card driver?

Hopes can help Kill Ghost Prince

We are using the XP Home Edition and yes, we've recently updated the network card driver-yesterday. Thanks!

OK, when you type IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt, what do you get? Try IPCONFIG /release then IPCONFIG /renew.

Try going directly from the xp box to the cable modem.
Eliminate everything in the chain but the internet access and the computer.

Let us know how it goes! =============
Mens et Manus
=============

The xp box will not find the internet connection until it knows where to look. Assuming that all the machines on the 'lan' have unique ip addresses, all you need to do is make sure that the ip config of the xp box points to the pc with the internet connection ie the gateway.

Once this is done it will work, I've done this a hundred times with no failures on all os's.

Let me know.

Some feedback need Kristi.

What are the IP addresses of ALL PC's connected?
Can you PING all pc's?
How does the Win98 get to the internet? Through the other PC I suppose, with ICS.
So, next question is: is the XP configured to use the ICS from the cable-connected PC? If not ... well, there is the error.

We are using a Linksys router with a cable modem. We are NOT using the ICS at all.
The IP of the "gateway" computer is 192.168.1.1. It is working OK.
The IP of the other computer that is working fine is 192.168.1.103.
The IP of the computer that will NOT access the internet using Win. XP is now 169.254.239.214 ( I know that it should NOT be.)

We can ping all the PC's but get no return. It will send but not return.
There is NO ISP listed when we do the ipconfig command, but it works fine when we use only Win. 98 of the dual boot system.
Thanks again!

That explain it, the ip 169.x.x.x you have is a dummy, an internal ip generated by the OS.
Try making it manually 192.168.1.101 or 102, whatever the Windows 98 'normally' gets.
Make the default gateway 192.168.1.1 as well as the DNS.
Reboot and see.
If still nothing after reboot, open the LAN settings and put it back on DHCP and Click Repair in the Support Tab. You should get an 192.168.1.x address, if that does not work, it means it does not find the DHCP (router).

However, one thing puzzles me, you state:
'The PC beside the one with the problem is physiclly attached to the cable modem. The other two PC's access the internet through a LAN system'
What is that LAN system? I suppose then the Linksys? That means ALL PC's are connected to that, no?
Anyway, when in 98 mode, it is connected somewhere, so where at what address?

I agree with msrcs41 ... this is a little confuising.

To share a high speed internet connection with several computers as you describe you need either a Cable/DSL router or one computer with two network cards (one for the internet (going to the cable modem) and one for the LAN).

You mentioned you had a Linksys Cable Modem ... are you sure this is not a Linksys Cable/DSL router? If it is then it is a DHCP server. All computers then should either be set to DHCP (automatically obtain ...) or hard coded to 192.168.1.x (where x is from 2 and 99 inclusive). 192.168.1.1 is reserved for the Linksys itself and 192.168.1.100 and higher is reserved for DHCP addresses from the linksys. If you hard code the address then you need to also hard code your DNS servers to 192.168.1.1 and you gateway to 192.168.1.1 (the router handles everything and passes them along ... you just need to point everything at it).

If you do not have a Cable/DSL router (and the Linksys you mentioned really is just a cable modem) then you have to be careful. Your central computer will have one network card dedicated to the cable modem and this card must be set to DHCP. The other card will need a non-routable IP address like 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx is 1 to 253 or something like that). If this is the case and if you are using the standard netmask of 255.255.255.0 then all your other systems will need to be hard coded to the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx).

If you can clarify which is the case then I can be of more help.

Just as an aside ... I've seen this before with WinXP. It is often something very stupid like the network card disabling itself or the built-in firewall blocking everything.

Later ...

check the cable.if it was working and now isnt i would suspect a bad cable.Getting an ip from APIPA is a good indication its not connected to the router which suggests bad cable or nic or tcp/ip isnt working. Using the Kiss principal check cable first.

futuretech :

it is not the cable, as she states, it is a dual boot PC. 98/XP and it still works in 98.

OzCDN :

I never use the same IP scope on the second NIC, it tends to confuse routing. If the 1st NIC has 192.168.1.x then the 2nd NIC (LAN) should be configured out of that range (192.168.2.x or 10.0.0.x).

marcs41:

You misunderstand. If kristisayles has two NICs then one (the LAN) will be 192.168.1.xxx ... the other will be DHCP and recieve an address from the Cable/DSL provider.

I never suggested two NICs in one computer be on the same subnet.

I agree, but kristisayles mentioned the 'gateway' pc having 192.168.1.1. Question is, is that the LAN side or the modem/router side she means?
Weel, it is confusing like this.

kristisayles :

Let's call them PC1, PC2 and PC3 or so.
So far we know :
PC1 (gateway) LAN address 192.168.1.1
PC3 (whatever, it works) 192.168.1.103
PC2 (WIN98/XP) 192.168.1.102 or 2 or so.
What is the IP of PC2 in WIN98?
What is the IP of PC1 on NIC1 (the cable modem/router)

Can you explain how everything is PHYSICALLY connected, we are all starting to guess here. And I mean everything, in a working condition, that is with WIN98.

Example:
PC1 -> Modem x.x.x.x
PC1 -> Hub 192.168.1.1
PC2 -> Hub 192.168.1.???
PC3 -> Hub 192.168.1.102

For OzCDN's question, is it a modem or a router(hub)?

Now, let's wait for her reply, because this is going nowhere.

The solution is simple, but we need the excact facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back