Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How's Prometric Doing So Far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilliabeth

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
US
Anybody had any experiences with Prometric or new Prometric centers?

Lilliabeth
-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will do?-

Wow, it's really interesting to hear about all of the people who have had Prometric testing systems crash on them, and how many facilities only have one or two PCs. Maybe I've been spoiled by Vue, or maybe by the testing facility I use, but there's 5 or 6 PCs in the Vue testing room and I have never had so much as a hiccup from the testing software/hardware. Granted, the hardware is older and the screen is smaller, but it's more than adequate for what I'm doing.

I suppose a lot of the Prometric places are doing it as a small extra revenue earner. Usually they are IT training places or similar anyway.

i.e. We've got this teeny tiny room which we could use for filing cabinets or we could chuck a couple of PC's in it and call it an exam room and get a few £'s per sucker that wants to sit one.
Not much of an investment in hardware required either with the current price of PC's.
And Prometric are actively touting for new testing centres on their website.

Neill

And Prometric are actively touting for new testing centres on their website.

Maybe I should start one. My wife used to proctor Prometric exams when she worked for Sylvan a few years back. I have plenty of spare hardware laying around.

Most of the bigger training companies around here also do the testing. Some of them restrict it to only their students (which I'm not sure is legit since you can schedule them through the web sites even if you aren't a student), but then there are a couple of universities and testing-specific companies.

I had a look at the forms etc. They kind of expect you to be running a training company of some sort from the 'what sort of company are you' boxes that they had, but they don't say you have to be. No mention of the renumeration of course. :)

I believe if they are scheduleable? through the web then they have to take you. But many get around it by being on the web site but always saying they have no open sessions. Catch-22 more or less.
There are private testing centres for the likes of Dell and so on but they wouldn't normally appear on the Prometric site.

Neill

Well, I had the test today and no issues with Prometric. I must have a really nice testing facility, the hardware was the same as Vue's, and while it did take 1-2 seconds to go to the next question, overall it was very reasonable.

Unbelievable!

Test crashed after 30 minutes on 70-294 saying I had no time left.
Prometric couldn't suggest anything and couldn't reset it so I have to call them in 3-5 days to see what happens.
Presumably a reschedule.

Crazy. :-(

Neill

that is complete bull@#$%. i know from my stand point that i get myself psyched up for these tests and really study hard a few nights before leading up to the test which gets me in the mindset to answer those questions. i know there is nothing you could have done there but wow, i feel for you. hopefully it wont have an impact next time you take it.

-drew

Yup, I work in a similar way.

I hope so too. I've got 70-297 scheduled for next Tuesday so I'll just have to reschedule 70-294 after that once I have talked to Prometric on Friday.

Bummer is that I've got an interview on Thursday for a contract job which would start on Monday if I got it so I'd have to put them both off for 3 months not just the one.

Neill

Took 70-621 today this was my first test with Prometric, i don't think it was a slick as with VUE and there was quite a few long pauses between questions. At the end of the day i passed so can't complain.

Sorry to hear about your situation Neill what a PITA.

Well done. Yes I noticed a lot of long pauses on 70-293 before it crashed on me. 70-294 seemed ok until it crashed though. :-(

Looks like I got the job so I'll have to reschedule the exams for 3 months hence. Oh well.

Neill

Prometric are Rubbish!!!!

I took the 70-270 and 70-290 with VUE and didn't have any problems, but then Microsoft dumped VUE so I have to use Prometric for the 70-291. Test was slow all the way through, and crashed twice.

Bring back VUE.

I spoke with someone at the testing center that I use the other day, and they said that Prometric was so awful that they stopped offerring Prometric exams a couple years ago. She said it wasn't just test takers having problems, but the administrators were too. Then MS announced that they were going Prometric-only, so they had to let them back in again. Nobody was ever able to explain why MS dropped VUE for Prometric when they were so bad.

I myself have taken all of my exams at a new Prometric center, and I haven't had any problems except for a little lag between questions every now and then. But a good friend of mine took an exam last week and he said that he was at a computer for 2 hours waiting for some kind of update before he finally walked out and rescheduled. I'm not sure if that would be Prometrics fault, or Microsofts fault.

Brad L. - MCP

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Prometrics fault, or Microsofts fault.

It is either Prometric's fault or the testing center's fault.

Lilliabeth
-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will do?-

Having taken most of my exams, Microsoft, Comp TIA, etc with Pearson Vue I can compare the 2.

Pearson Vue is great...Prometric sucks!!!

I took a test 2 weeks ago that Microsoft still has no record of and of course they blame each other.

I took a test today of which I got no printed results in the end do to 'technical difficulties' Anytime the proctor tried to access my test it said I had 3 hours left. Just an endless loop. After a call to Prometric I am ever so confident (yeah, right) I won't have to retake the test.

I have 2 more tests left and I would love to choose another testing center other then Prometric, but I have no choice. Therein lies the problem. I have no choice so they could really care less.

lcolson1959

MCTS (SQL 2005), A+, N+, DHTI+

Yeah, Prometric tests can be really slow to respond. After the switch from VUE I had exam results that sat in limbo for weeks. Fortunately I was able to get it resolved by sending email to the MCPHelp email address along with scanned copies of my score/results pages. Since that initial snafu was resolved I haven't had any issues other than tests that are slow to respond. The testing center that I use is both a Prometric and VUE center, but you can only do MS exams on Prometric nowdays.

I've taken the 70-291 exam twice now, (at two different Prometric sites) and both times the exam faulted. (at about the same question 22/23 out of 43. --although they were allegedly able to rconnect, I don't believe I ended up with a valid score on either occasion.
The first test center noted that they had been having problems with the 70-291 exam
jb

I just took my first test with Prometric last week,,, 70-292, I passed,,, but there was lag between questions,, and there were a few that I thought it was going to crash,,,
This testing center does both Vue and Prometric,, but I like VUE much better. Also, it has been over a week now and no update on Microsoft's site,,, I know my Vuew scores were updated much quicker.

I sat 70-294 for the 2nd time last week.
First time I sat it it crashed half way through and they weren't able to recover it. :-(
Prometric obviously credited the test so I could resit but there was no explanation and no apology for the time I wasted.

Worked ok last Friday since I passed with an 873 and now have my MCSE. Yay!. However there was a very worrying 40 second pause between question 32 and 33. I did make note of it in the comments in the end but doubt they'll pay any attention.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back