Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to pronounce..

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmazco

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2008
US
Chilee or Chilay?

Chili - Chile'

Do I want a bowl of chili or chile
Was there an earthquake in Chili or Chile

I guess it probably comes down to accents and such. Was never good at foreign languages (english either for that matter..) so...Ideas?

From the side of a pond with Queen Betty, I'd have to say Chillee with no doubts whatsoever.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

You have a bowl of CHILLY for lunch.
There was an earthquake recently in CHILL-LAY.

At least, that's how I say it.

Susan
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away ...
and you have their shoes.”

I'm with Susan
chili (Chil - EE) is the food.
Chile (Chil - AY) is the country.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Spanish is one of those languages where everything is supposed to be pronounced consistently (which is why there are very few bad spellers in Spanish - few, if any, homonyms).

I was taught that it was pronounced CHEE-lay.

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

I vote for CHEE-lay. I've also heard it as SHEE-lay.

I think the issue is not "correct" but "received" pronunciation.

We say Paris, the Parisians say Paree. Neither one is wrong, simply the local variation.

I'm surprised no one has brought this up, "It was chilly in Chile so ate some chili." [small]Ducks and runs away[/small]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Listening to the pronunciations sounded... well... a lot like the way I was always taught it sounded. "Chee-Leh" (almost sounds like "lay" at the end, but softer).

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

We say Paris, the Parisians say Paree. Neither one is wrong, simply the local variation.

No, actually.. Parisians say "Parih". It's a short 'eeh' sound, like at the end of "chilly" (just to stay on topic).

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)
What is the nature of conflict?

Hi,
But if the terminal e in Spanish is eh ( Like the e in Chess ), why is it
for Ole you say O-Lay and not O-Leh ?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Tevoke is correct.

In Spanish, a word with two or more syllables is always accented on the second to last syllable, unless the word has an accent mark on another syllable. The accent on the "é" in Olé means that it must be pronounced with its long vowel sound.

-- Francis
Et cognoscetis veritatem, et veritas liberabit vos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back