Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to flash on analog phone when using POTS line for call waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zax123

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2006
CA
Hi all,

I have a SOHO at home which has a single analog trunk line coming in. I have a cordless phone connected to one of the analog ports, and a bunch of 5410s.

I have programmed a FLASH button on the 5410s and it works great when a call waiting comes through.

The problem is, I can't use the FLASH button on the analog cordless phone to pick up the call waiting.

Does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You could create a shortcode with the feature set as the button is on the 5410's, then you just go off hook on the analogue/cordless and dial the shortcode :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Thanks amriddle,

I guess I was just hoping for a way for the actual FLASH button on the cordless phone to actually work...

If I can't get it working, I might have to stop using the SOHO, and that would suck :(

That will just send hook flash to the system and you can't programme the system to make hook flash from a handset do anything other than the default "hold for transfer" thing. I assume the shortcodes a no go :)

I tried the shortcode idea... that didn't work either.

Argh! So bizarre that Avaya didn't think this would ever happen...

Indeed, the shortcode should work, what feature have got it set to currently?

i am not sure this is going to work for you. when using call waiting on a POTS lines you need to dial the Flash hook while on the line. so you would need to be able to dial a short code while you are talking to your party not when they are on hold.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

While connected to the analog line press the flash key, wait for dial tone and dial the feature code "hookflash" the hookflash will be done on the analog line and you will have the waiting call. To go back to the other caller hit hookflash, shortcode etc.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the ideas. I tried the short code flash hook idea. Programmed *99 to do a flash hook, but it didn't seem to work. I'll try again. Still a pain in the butt that I can't make the regular flash button do it...

But here's a little twist on things. The "POTS" line I'm using is actually a SIP line converted with a Linksys PAP2T. I'm wondering if I should just get a SIP license for my SOHO, and wondering if the SOHO will manage the call waiting notification from SIP as opposed to it not even knowing it's happening.

Any SIP experts in here?

When I press the FLASH button on my analog phone while on another call, I get a fast busy instead of a dial tone. Would anyone know why that could be? That's probably why the short code isn't working. :p

do you have call waiting enabled on the user for the analog phone?

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Yes, I have Call Waiting enabled, but I've also tried it with Call Waiting disabled. Didn't seem to make a difference, which is very strange. We have an IP406 at work and all the analog phones give a dial tone when hitting the flash button.

maybe the flash timers of your extension are not recognized.
you can change these in the analog extension parameters.

I think you should use monitor or system status application to see what happens.

Like intrigrant says, check the flash timer on the wireless, put it on 100ms that should do it.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

call waiting on a business phone systems is Mickey Mouse business, get a rollover line and if that is not an option get a business cordless that is fully featured for the functionality of the phone system.
I am slowly getting sick of people wanting to have the phone system do anything including their coffee but are not willing to pay for the necessary parts to implement it all and try with cheap shortcuts.
Nothing personal zax123 but if you try to run in the Formula 1 with your Lada you will notice that it does not do what you want. There are workarounds for most anything in the system but they all have their shortcomings. Get a SIP line or two for cheap and keep one or two analog lines for the incoming calls then you should not have the problem with the call waiting junk any more.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

Westi,

I agree with you, and I am willing to compromise for sure... I just thought there might be an easy solution.

However, as I mentioned, this actually IS a SIP line. My home line is a SIP line, I just have an ATA on it so it becomes an analog line. I'm going to get a SIP license for the SOHO and then maybe the call waiting will just magically work as I'm thinking it'll be digital signaling that the SOHO can understand as opposed to SS7...

who knows?

That is the better solution for sure, get two SIP licenses then it will not be call waiting but a new channel for the subsequent call. Depending how many channels your SIP provider let's you use simultaneously you should have licneses for and setup the SIP line.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back