Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable programs from startup: 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

melody22

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
US
I'm not sure if this is common. After I installed my CD-RW and it's software, everytime I boot my PC the program is launched. I'm trying to disable it from the startup but I couldn't find the program from the startup folder. I'm trying to disable it to save some memory, I'll just use the program whenever I need it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The first place to look would be in the registry under the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Look for an entry for the application you want to prevent from starting and delete it. To make recovery a little easier, you may want to export the contents of the RUN key before altering..just highlight the RUN key and click the Registry pull donw menu and select Export.

Make your changes and close the registry, reboot and see if you accomplished your goal. Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

melody22,

I'd like to add to dxd's post:

While you're in the registry, have a look at this key, too:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Services

It's right below the one dxd mentioned. These 2 keys, will contain most of the startup icons that appear in the "EVER-SO-USELESS" System Tray! :)

I find no need to allow programs to run in the System Tray, except for the clock, and my Anti Virus Program...like you, I prefer to manually operate my programs, and in the process, recover whole bunches of resources!!!

Let Me Know!

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Hello,

Have you made a search on your PC to see where is located the starting exe file of your application ? In the Documents and Settings folder you may have different Startup folders.

Regards.
Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back