Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO DETECT A ENTRY FROM BARCODE SCANNER OR KEYBOARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

remsor

Programmer
Nov 5, 2002
PH
Hello everybody...

HOW TO DETECT A ENTRY COMING FROM A BARCODE SCANNER OR KEYBOARD..

i have POS application using barcode scanner, my client encountered million amount tendered.. They found that when the amount tendered prompts the scanner scanned the barcode of the item of the next client which is 9 digits.. How can i detect if it is from the scanner or keyboard...

please help me..;-)

we use barcode scanners for most of our production, they are connected in the keyboard using a 'y' connector.
most of the coding should be handled by your application, ie if you scan a barcode over a certain number of characters then place that input into the appropriate field on your form. there really is no way to determine if something came from the scanner or the keyboard.

remsor,
Most barcode readers use a "wedge" to put characters into the system through the keyboard buffer, and then you can't tell the difference. If you MUST tell the difference, consider using a serial port scanner, than you'll need to use MSCOMM32 to read the buffer so you'll know where the data came from - this can make your forms much more complicated though.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back