Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to copy nText value from one record to another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkate

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US
This seems to be one of those concepts that I'm just not able to grasp - looked at other posts here, googled, scoured through help, and I'm still not getting it. I think I'm supposed to use UPDATETEXT, but I'm not sure how.

All I want to do is copy the value of an nText field, which I will name 'LayoutText' from one record to another, within the same table.

I get the error 'The text, ntext, and image data types are invalid in this subquery or aggregate expression' when I try this update:

Code:
declare @source_id int
declare @dest_id int

set @source_id = 1
set @dest_id = 2

UPDATE thetable
SET layouttext = (SELECT layouttext FROM thetable WHERE recordid = @source_id)
WHERE recordid = @dest_id

Thanks in advance.

Kate

[small]"Yeah, it's a non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permeable. It's not osmotic.[/small]
[small]What it does is it coats and seals the flake, prevents the milk from penetrating it."[/small]

Try...

Code:
Update ToTable
Set    totable.layouttext = FromTable.layouttext
From   theTable As ToTable
       Inner Join theTable As FromTable
         On FromTable.RecordId = @Source_id
         And ToTable.RecordId = @Dest_Id

Make sure you have a backup of your database before you do this.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

Kate

[small]"Yeah, it's a non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permeable. It's not osmotic.[/small]
[small]What it does is it coats and seals the flake, prevents the milk from penetrating it."[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back