Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convince clients that being remote is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchubb

Programmer
Sep 29, 2003
US
I am relocating from Virginia to the Orlando, FL area this year. I am an independant software developer. I have a number of local clients that are happy with my services. A couple are cool about me moving to FL and have been cool about not having me face to face every week or so. Two of them are less understanding.

Now, I see the first one at least once a week, sometimes twice a week and do 90% of my work for them on-site. I have VPN access but the project managers just don't seem to think of me when I am not there and it has been tough to get them to give me work I can do from home. They always just say "Ill explain it to you when you get here on Monday...". Even no good over the phone. The second client just isn't really internet savvy and has a hard time with doing things like taking screen shots and sending informative emails, so working remotely for them is tough. I only see them infrequently, so it is not a big loss, but the first client would be a huge loss to have to replace.

How do I go about "weaning" them off of my physical presence and making them use me more as a remote resource?

Chris

Have you considered setting up web cams with them so you can teleconference? (I'm assumming here that full-scale teleconferencing equipment is too expensive.) You could do it now before you leave town and get them used to the set-up. I think one of the reasons why people like to have face to face meetings is that they feel more confortable when they can see your body language.

And work out a schedule of, say quarterly, in-person visits before you leave.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief

Maybe they are afriad you will be spending too much time hanging out with Mickey and Donald?

Not to get too specific, but what is your pricing schedule like?

Would it be possible to offer two rate tables for your services, the regular rate for onsite consultation and a separate rate giving a "price break" for remote work done.

Have you looked into conferencing software, like Placeware and WebEx?

Chip H.

Chris

Perhaps some people are "old fashion", or had bad experiences with remote support. Remote support is far "cheaper" since it can be more efficient -- resolve more issues without wasting time travelling. But it can also appear to be "cheaper" since the quality of support may suffer.

Coding, software distribution and remote support can all be done from afaar. But remote support can also give the impression of "cheaper" support. Miscommunication, ineffective communication and misunderstanding of deliverables.

At my last job, each site spent significant amount of money to video conferencing equipment. The goal was to reduce transportation costs -- every week, atleast one or two, and sometimes over a dozen associates would travel to head office. The use of reducing travelling costs by using video conferencing failed.

There were technical problems getting the video conference to work -- on time. (By the time technical problems were resolved it was often too late. Most technical problems were teleco problems.)

Also, many expressed a "lack of quaility" with the conference sessions. The problems were worse for large meetings.

The other problem was that the video conference lacked the "dynamic" nature of a meeting. Before and after the main meetings, various groups would break off to form ad hoc meetings.

First the VIP's stopped using the video service. Then the sales and markteing force stopped using it. Then technical people stopped. After the big on the sales pitch and the push to save money, out of a group of 150 employees, I would setup a video conference perhaps once or twice a year.

So you may have a challenge in two areas.

You know your business and what is involved. In addition to developing a sell-able product (quality, price and need), you have to market the product, and sell it at a profit. I would consider "support" part of the marketing and "selling".

First, you have to ensure your communication channels are adequate. Can you "do business" primarily over the phone? Is it fair to the customer? Look at this issue from the customer's perspective.

I am sure you realize that communication is a two way process. Not onlu do you have to communicate well to the customer so they understand, but the customer has to be able to communicate with you so you understand. Being in the software development business, I am sure you are very much aware of this issue.

Next, you have to "sell" the idea to the customer that you can still provide the same "product" (software, support and "care") from afar.

Lastly, you have to prove that it works. Perhaps those who are comfortable with the remote support, can later inform the remaining two that your are still "the same you offerring the same services" and working from afar has not hindered upon your deliverables.

SQLSister and Chip have both mentioned some tools to help...
- video or web cam equipment for "sales" meetings
- remote control tools and tools such as NetMeeting or SameTime are extremely effective demonstrations, and technical meetings

cchubb
How do I go about "weaning" them off of my physical presence and making them use me more as a remote resource?

As soon as they are weaned off of you physical presence, they'll wonder why they are paying high dollar for you instead of $15/hour for someone in India, who could indeed be--no offense to you--as good or better than you.

Maybe you should re-think that 'remote' thing. Needing physical presence is a valid thing for an employer, and I would not want to manage someone who is thousands of miles away. I don't have the time nor the patience to try to explain things over the phone--then 5 minutes later have an afterthought and not be able to reach you--or have to incurr another long distance bill and more neck pain due to being glued to the phone.

Nothing beats face to face, and that's one key reason why more jobs haven't gone to India, China, the Balkan countries, etc. Once that face-to-face is not needed, then neither is paying $85-$150 per hour when an employer can pay fractions of that for very, very good talent.
--T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back