Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to check on date time stamp when record has been inserted into table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2009
US
I'm using SQL server 2008 R2. I have an "Employee" table with no date time stamp column. I would like to track down the initial date time stamp when each employee has been inserted into table. I know that if i add a new column with Getdate() function, this date is just apply for new record only, not for existing.
Please help.
Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am quite sure there is no such date stored.

The only other way would be attempting to get the date out of the transaction logs back to whenever it was inserted - if you have them, but i cant imagine that would be easy even if you did.

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

May be any of related tables has something based on date, so you can look there to get an edeia about insert date. run thru backups to find out inser dates is very big task and in most cases not wors the time you spending. I would recommend to add column with default value getdate() and run sql to update initial value to something way back like 1/1/1900, so you will know that record should be ignored from your analisys

Thanks everyonẹ That's what i thought. No luck, there's no date stored. I'll try to search and see if any of those related tables so I can get the date from there.
Again, thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back