Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to check connection 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifix1

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
US
Hi
i need a little help,i have a buddy that has dsl and he can't get on line.
if i tell him to type in tracert verizon.net will that see his modem as a connection? basically i'm trying to talk him through his trouble over the phone,i had him try ping verizon.net and it said server is unavailable,does that mean that his computer set-up is fine and the problems is at the server? is there anything i can do to see whether it's at his end or the server
his computer was fine, he went on vacation came back and now no internet.I realy don't want do drive for an hour for a server problem,i told him to call verison but being on strike the phones lines are packed
i told him to try again tonight and if he can't get through i'll drive down tomorrow,but if you somebody can tell me the the ping does mean it's at the server then there's nothing i can do

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Ping is usually the first step for seeing if someone is "online". I use mit.edu because it's very easy to type, but you can use whatever you want.

Tracert is usually for looking at intermittent problems or performance issues.

[Please, no one come and bark about these statements; I'm just offering general advice based on what I do.]

And be aware that a lot of ISPs are dealing with problems relating to the Blaster worm that's in the wild as of today. Comcast has been awfully slow and I've been getting calls from clients all day saying their connections are dead or dying.

could you please describe how you connect your PC on your network; example, are you using an external modem, router, or hub/switch?

Hi kayeth
He connects via external dsl modem.
i'm just wondering if ping tells me the problem is at the server,like if the config of the computer was wrong/changed what would ping or tracert come back with?
i'm just looking for a utility that with tell me the problem is here or there

Hi jpm121
Ping is usually the first step for seeing if someone is "online",so it's not specific as to where the problem is home or server?

THANKS TO ALL

If he pings 127.0.0.1 and gets no reply, the problem is on his end.

I certainly would not consider the drive out there until he had:

1. Turned off the PC and modem for at least three minutes. Note: the modem should be unplugged rather than use the on/off switch.

2. Turn on the modem and let it stabilize.

3. Then turn on the PC.

4. When the PC is on he should then have both a Sync and Link light on the modem. If the sync lite does not come on, there is an issue with his Central Office connection.

5. Go to the Verizon web site and check for outages.

ping, unfortunately, doesn't necessarily tell you anything unless the connection is good. So many people block ICMP messages these days, that it could just be that verizon.net is blocking the ping.

If his modem is connected via ethernet, then it will have an IP address that will show up on a tracert. If it is USB or serial attached, then it will not show up. But tracert sometime suffers the same issues as ping. If someone along the line is blocking ICMP, you don't see anything beyond that point. Fortunately, most network components (routers) don't block ICMP unless they are a border router, so you will see intermittent hops along the way. That is enough to tell you whether or not you are seeing anything beyond your local network.

Have you tried a tracert to his machine? He is probably getting a routable IP from his ISP.

pansophic

If he has one computer connected to the DSL modem, he should be able to get an external IP. You did not say if this is a new installation or old. I would do the following before ping.

1) Check the link LED on the modem and make sure you got link at the WAN side and at the LAN side, If you don't have link at the WAN then check phone cable and filter. If you don't have link at the LAN side, check the LAN cable if the cable is cross or striaght.

2) If both link are on, the go to the DOS prompt and type ipconfig /all. Check if it is DHCP enable. If it is enable then the IP should be internet IP because the computer is directly connected to the modem. The IP should not be in the range of 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x or 192.168.x.x.

3) Paste the ipconfig /all here if you can then we can see more of what is going on with the computer configuration.

KC

THANKS TO YOU ALL!
it's a fresh install as of 3weeks ago.he had internet for 2 weeks
on his modem the led's are on.
he has no router.only 1 computer connected to modem

The only thing i could think of last night was to have him ping verizon,look for a reset button on modem(which he didn't have)turn off modem and unplug his in connection to his modem(now i now turning off is not good enough)..

i will try what you suggested bcaster

NOW LET ME PAT EVERYBODY AT THIS SITE ON THE BACK

I come and view this site alot, that's how i've learned(hardware & alittle os so far), seeing the problem people have and seeing what other people suggest to correct the problem.you people have helped me help my family and friends,i AWAYS get helpful and positive replies from you people.

GOOD PEOPLE MAKE GREAT BOARDS

THANKS AGAIN

could you just post your IP add, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers. you can get those by ipconfig/all. if your IP is an invalid one, you do the power cycle. power down your modem first (unplug the power cable from the outlet) then shut down your PC. then wait for about 1-3 minutes. power up your modem first, (wait until all the lights on your modem stabilize). then, power up your PC, check your IP add. If your IP is still invalid, try to release and renew your IP. make sure that your PC is not set to have a static IP.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU.
He's back up!! server was down,but you guys gave me some good info,i will paste it in word and put it away

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back