Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How remove Packed.Generic.183 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliasW

Technical User
Sep 21, 2008
Hello
I have been running Norton AV scans several times,and it keeps finding Packed.Generic.183 hueristic virus. But the removal instructions are not claer, and not working for me.

The referred removal symantic web page instructed to disable Windows Restore, and run the scan again. This does not remove the Packed.Generic risk. So I ran the scan in Safe Mode, it gave m e options on Removal, but clicking OK, did not remove the threat, it just repalced by Quaratine. And That had no effect either as it reappears in the next scan !

Can anyone give me clear and unambiguous steps to remove Packed.Generic.183 from my system please. - Sicne the Symantic advice is not helping. Otherwise it looks like a complete System rebuild !

Cheers

Jules

Hi Jules,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The "PackedGeeneric.183 infection should be caught and eliminated by Norton if you follow the instructions in the document to disable System Restore, update your definitions and then perform a Full Scan in Safe Mode. If the file is being quarantined and you are still being notified of it's presence, then please carefully follow the instructions in the following document for manual removal.

Removal Instructions for Packed.Generic.182

Please let me know the status after you have tried these steps.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation

Thanks, yes I did follow those instructions its now removed.

It took me 2 attempts in Safe mode, after switching off System restore. I actually used an AVG Antivirus, in between Norton attemts as well. It now looks to have been removed on my third attempt.

Cheers

Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back