Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How quick could I get MCSA and MCSE...realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
my employer is offering to pay for me to get my MCSA and MCSE. For me this is an added benefit... I get the certs to progress my career, plus I get a $$$ bonus for each test I pass and when all said and done I'll get a salary increase.

realisticly how fast could I get these certs? I've got all the training material comming in the mail....

I'd like your opinions

Mark C.

If you know everything you need to for the exams, then you can just take each of the exams and pass them first time, so perhaps within a fortnight. However, this is very unrealistic if you're just receiving the training material. Even if you do, its very unlikely your test systems will exactly match the Microsoft recommendations.

I started MCSA training back in February 2004 and passed the first three exams in July, studying full time. I passed the fourth in December, studying in the evenings although I was able to practise my learning on systems at work.
Thereafter I took another three exams at roughly 3 month intervals to get my MCDBA in August 2005 and MCSE in April 2006. I changed job in January 2006 so didn't have nearly as much time for study since then, hence the longer wait for the last exam.

More information on the certifications themselves and training methods, hints and tips can be found in Forum468.

John

Agree with John it could take a few months it took me nearly 8 months for my MCSA, you really need to revise the MS way of doing things as most of the questions will examine an exact process. Some have upto six possible answers and they will all be very similar, it would be an easy task if you were sat in front of a box but remembering it exactly can be tricky (especially when they say tick all answers that apply and all answers are correct - damn them).

Doesn't really matter what you learn I would guess.

To be honest you do pick up quite a few handy tips especially when taking the newer certs, there's usually some new diag tools that MS try to introduce you to. But i usually find i know a great deal of the content just not quite well enough to remember it when not sat at a box. Basically make sure you know the content with your eyes shut or you'll just throw away £100.

A lot depends on your real-world experience. I had a history from NT 3.51 and took some certs in NT4 and Windows 2000 but I lack the discipline for self-study. When my employer required me to get my MCSE I asked about doing a boot camp whcih they agreed to pay for, in the end I got the 2003 MCSE in 14 days.

It's tough as hell though (I did a couple of 20 hour days and most were 16+) but I was never dosing off in the classroom like I do on standard MS courses. It was also vital I had a good background in 2000/2003, the instructor can't afford to hang around explaining something to you over and over until it clicks, so if you are still confused by something you have to either figure it out yourself or discuss it with the instructor out of hours (like after 9pm). Some of the other people on the camp clearly got overwhelmed early on and never managed to catch up (it's even worse once you start failing the exams and have to decide between resitting or taking the next one and moving on).

If you have a good Windows server background and can suck up a lot of information (at least for the short-term...) then a bootcamp would be the fastest option. They're actually quite cost-effective to once you factor in the exams, room and food is paid for.

The right bootcamp is great. The wrong one is "the question is"..."the answer is"...avoid those although many of them are going out of business.

Get one that teaches you the product but know it really well BEFORE you attend.

Just don't list the bootcamp on a resume. I used to work for one of the largest IT staffing companies in the U.S. - as soon as they would see those in a resume, it was a red flag that the person just hurried through it.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Yeah I think much of the negativity around bootcamps came from the NT4 days when the MS exams were a lot simpler and the old "paper MCSE" thing arose. These days with the 2003 exams unless they're actually telling you the answers during the exam you will need to know your stuff.

I guess a good clue to how professinoal a bootcamp is is to look at their pre-requisite requirements, if any proclaims they'll take you from knowing nothing to an MCSE in 14-days they're either lying or cheating, the one I did recommended 1-2 years experience as a minimum and even sent out some pre-course reading material (although it wasn't actually very helpful :p ).

Hi Guys,

Interesting thread. I'm in the same boat, however I work as the network admin for a development house.
The company won't pay for courses, however they will for the exam and self-study material.

However as I am meant to be doing this mainly in my own time I'm concerned how long it's going to take. I've just passed my Security+ as I didn't want the MS exams until the EVO launch (why go for a MCSE in Win2k3 when there's a new server and client os, new exchange and office system next year!).

I'm concerned that I'm going to be locked into my current company for years at this rate!!!

Anyone got good recommendations on particular boot camp companies in the UK?

Thanks,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

I used Wave Technologies boot camp at the Moorgate, London training centre for the MCSA bootcamp.
Not sure how they do it now, but it worked alright for me. On the other hand, I was unemployed when I started, so could afford to spend full time studying with a little applying for jobs.
At the time I started I had my BSc in Information Systems plus practical experience of running, fixing and troubleshooting Windows NT/2K/XP systems in small and large businesses on both Windows and Netware networks plus the odd jobs fixing PC's for family and friends.

John

I did my MCSE bootcamp (and follow on Exchange camp) at I can't rate them highly enough. The only negative thing really is their sales team is a bit 'used car salesman' style. The prices are very negotiable (I think out of about a dozen people I did my MCSE with none of us paid the same price...). I would also say your company is using you as a guinea pig and that if the course is successful for you they'll likely send a lot more people (should get you some extra discount ;) ).

Its still not cheap after discounting but it does include all exam fees, half a dozen books (the MS core MCSE set + others), all meals and unlimited free access to their snack room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back