Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much am I worth?? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieTony

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2008
US
Good Morning All,

I am running into a personal quandry at work and could use some advice from some of my IT brethren.

I work at a midsized corporation, about 110 employees with about 90 supported pc's over 6 states. I am the only person in the IT dept making me the IT dept. This is my first job out of college and I live in Denver Colorado. I earned my degree in MIS/minor SCSI and I currently have my A+ and N+ with 2 years of Cisco Networking at junior college while getting my MIS. I hopefully will be getting my CCNA by August. I have been with the company for about 2 years now and I feel as though I am an asset to the company at this point.

I love my job, ive been you average geek since 15 yrs old and im 25 now. The problem I have is with my pay. I went out to eat with a buddy of mine who is also into IT and he remarked on how the pay was really good.... so I asked him what he was making. Now my buddy has a technical degree with no certs and is making around 48,000 a year which shocked me because I make around 36,000 a year. So I went to salary.com calculator and the base pay for IT im my area is about 55,000 a year which makes me think im getting shafted here.

Now im not big into pay and im not a greedy man by any means but I just dont feel like im getting my fair worth. So basically I want to ask for a raise but I dont know what exactly should I be asking for, my boss is a cheap skate and this company makes millions......

Any responses are greatly appreciated...

Antony

Discussion of personal feelings/experiences with Recruiters has taken this thread waaaaay off topic and is no longer constructive here. I propose that if anyone feels strongly about further discussion on the topic of recruiters, that they start a separate thread.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

What is the "bare minimum" anyway?

I was once on a contract where I was hired along with another guy. He did start two weeks later though. They let me go after nine weeks. The other guy actually had the audacity to call off twice in the first seven weeks I was out there. The bum who called off twice was still there six months later.

And you are going to tell me that hard work counts for something? I also saw one guy who had been there for six years take about five or six smoke breaks on some days.

I don't smoke. I've heard that smokers are generally disadvantaged in the job market. This may explain why.

Can we PLEASE move on?

The OP has had his question answered, and the pointless ramblings (of which, I'll admit, I contributed to) are doing nothing to answer the question.

So let's all drop it. Neither I, not the OP (I'm certain), wants to listen to this constant barrage of self-aggrandisement.

</rant>

Nullum gratuitum prandium.
--Sleipinir214

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back