Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you size a check box in Excel? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanetteM

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
CA
I have added a check box in Excel 2000. How do I size the check box. I can change the size of the associated label but can not figure out how to change the size of the box itself.

Please help!
Thx.
~JM

For all your virtual administrative needs visit

Is it on a UserForm or on a Worksheet?

If it's on a UserForm, I suggest using the Zoom property of the form. For example, you could make everything (except your Checkbox) 1/2 size, then zoom to 200. This would make everything appear normal except the Checkbox, which is now twice as large.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
When will I be able to see what other members can see about myself? It's been like, a freakin' month already!

I have office XP and I found this in the Help File (not sure if it's the same in Office 2K). I searched for reszie checkbox.

MOVE OR RESIZE A CONTROL
Microsoft Excel has two different types of controls that you move and resize in different ways:
ActiveX controls, and controls from the Forms toolbar.

Determine which type of control you have: right-click the control you want to change.
If no shortcut menu appears or the shortcut menu contains the command Properties, the control is an ActiveX control.

If the shortcut menu contains the command Assign Macro, the control is a Forms toolbar control.

Based on the type of control you are working with, do one of the following:

MOVE OR RESIZE AN ACTIVEX CONTROL

Display the Control Toolbox: point to Toolbars on the View menu, and then click Control Toolbox.
Click Design Mode .
Do one or more of the following:
Move the control Drag it to another location. To align it with cell gridlines, hold down ALT while you drag the control.

Resize the control Drag one of the sizing handles:

To retain the proportions of the control, hold down SHIFT while you drag a corner sizing handle.

Set whether changes to the underlying cells affect the control To change how the control is resized or moved when the cells underneath it are resized or moved, right-click the control, click Format Control, and then click the Properties tab.

When you finish modifying the control, click Exit Design Mode .

MOVE OR RESIZE A FORMS TOOLBAR CONTROL
Do one or more of the following:

1.Move the control. Drag it to another location. To align it with cell gridlines, hold down ALT while you drag the control.

2.Resize the control. Drag one of the sizing handles:

To retain the proportions of the control, hold down SHIFT while you drag a corner sizing handle.

Set whether changes to the underlying cells affect the control To change how the control is resized or moved when the cells underneath it are resized or moved, right-click the control, click Format Control, click the Properties tab, and then click the option you want under Object positioning.

3. To remove the handles when you're finished modifying the control, click a cell on the worksheet.

Unfortunately that will only make the dimensions of the surrounding area larger, while keeping the actual box the same size.

*cLFlaVA
When will I be able to see what other members can see about myself? It's been like, a freakin' month already!

If you grok VBA you can use an IMAGE control (from the Control Toolbox) to display a square with a check alternating with an empty square by processing the Image_Click event. But there is a bit of work involved to create the bitmaps and process the clicks.

It may not be worth the trouble. You never did say why you think you need to do this thing. Can you provide some insight?

Grok? I have not heard that word used in a LONG time.

I agree. Why do you need to resize the checkbox? And besides, from the instructions posted, those changes are in design mode. Are you talking about resizing at run-time? Why?

Also, it was not answered (I think, but I can be dense at times), what kind of checkbox it is. If it is an ActiveX control, programatically you can use:

With ActiveSheet.Shapes("nameOfcontrol")
.Height = x
.Width = y
End With

Or am I missing something?

Gerry

FYI...for those less hip (like myself)

GROK:

To grok (pronounced GRAHK) something is to understand something so well that it is fully absorbed into oneself. In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with." Today, grok sometimes is used to include acceptance as well as comprehension - to "dig" or appreciate as well as to know.
As one character from Heinlein's novel says:

'Grok' means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed - to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science - and it means as little to us (because we are from Earth) as color means to a blind man.
In common usage, "Do you grok?" seems close in meaning to "Do you get it?"

this may be a stupid response, but I think it is a font thing. I think if you have it selected, it is like a symbol and you might be able to make the font bigger.

If not your sol! sorry!

misscrf

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things

ok I found it. Right click the check box, format control, and under size.... make the dimensions bigger!

I swear it works. I just tested it.

:D

misscrf

Ummm, what?

*cLFlaVA
Breaking the habit...

I have found a way.

- Place a Checkbox on your Worksheet.
- Right Click, Format Control.
- Properties Tab.
- Select Move and Size with cells.
- Make the cell that it hovers over larger (vert and horiz).

This will make the text look terrible too, however. I suggest having no caption, then placing a label next to it.

Hope this helps.

*cLFlaVA
Breaking the habit...

???

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When transmitting sheet music...
If it ain't baroque, don't fax it! [tongue][/sub]

Since ETID used grok, I will use a phrase from the same source, and state "I am only an egg."

I thought this was a question on resizing the control programatically.

But I not have grokked it.

Gerry

Lol, what's the question Skip?

*cLFlaVA
Breaking the habit...

fumei-

You are correct, I misgrokked the question...

[blush]

*cLFlaVA
Breaking the habit...

Actually, I grokked it fine:

I have added a check box in Excel 2000. How do I size the check box. I can change the size of the associated label but can not figure out how to change the size of the box itself.

*cLFlaVA
Breaking the habit...

I cannot replicate your solution. It happened ONCE, but will not happen again???

Mebe I need to reboot, else I'll go down with das boot.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When transmitting sheet music...
If it ain't baroque, don't fax it! [tongue][/sub]

ok I said this before. If you want to resize the CHECKBOX...
Quote:

then do the following:

1 place checkbox on worksheet

2 right-click checkbox and choose to format control

3 click on the "size" tab

4 increase the height and weight

5 click OK

If that doesn't work, then your question has eluded me!!!!

misscrf

While 'weight' is a new property to me, these steps you describe do not work for me.

My solution worked for me, but not for SkipVought. If this is a one-time solution the poster is looking for, than these solutions may be helpful. However, they do not seem by any means to be reliable.

*cLFlaVA
Breaking the habit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back