Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you set up Wireless sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisdero

MIS
Dec 14, 2002
US
I need to set up wireless phones that can be used throughout our building. I've heard that there is a module that I can add to my system in order to have fully wireless sets. Does any one know what it takes to set this up?

There is a module if you have an older system but find out exactly what type of system and software level/version you have for a better answer as you may not need a module but only handsets and baystations.
The wireless system Nortel use's is called Companion System FYI.

Examples of types of nortel systems:
8x24
0x32

software:
DR5
Mics 1.0 and up.

The more info we have the better to serve you.
spoclogo2.jpg

I know the system is a 0x32 I'm not sure on the software version. It was upgraded a few years ago to handle 2 PRIs, How can I tell which version I have

another phone that norstar uses is the 7406 telephone. A wireless telephone with 6 buttons, each base station can have three telephone sets assigned to it and you can have 2 base stations in the same area without interference. more than that you will start having troubles. the 7406 telephone emulates a 7310 telephone. I could not find any compatability restrictions on our unit's paperwork. If anyone else can wade in with compatability answers it would be appreciated. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

T7406's have been halted at this time but hey work with 3x8 DR5 and up and all other systems higher.
I did not mention the T7406 due to the product being halted by Nortel as they are not up to snuff with too many problems with every other set sold. In my opinion they just are not reliable enough so we use the EnGenius for now.

How big is your builing and how many cordless sets do you need?

Sorry I haden't heard that nortel had put a hold on those sets.

We also use the engenious for some apps since it seems to have a range of close to forever.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I would go with Engenious, because the Companion setup can get very costly and you need keycodes to activate. Did not know about the T7406, good to know. Nortel had the same problem with the M7410, and that is why they discontinued them.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for all the replies!!
We have two buildings that form a L shape. The main building is about 600'X 125' one floor. The second building is 300' X 125'. The two bulding are only 50' feet apart and I ran piping between the two for voice and data. The main building houses the phone system. Both are a combination of offices and warehouses. Users whant to travel between the two building with there wireless sets. There may be up to 15 wireless users. Would the EnGenius work well in this situation?

Engenius would work but it would require the following per station. Note the sites would be stand alone and do not act like cell or Companion sites.

1 Engenius base station & handset, 1 ATA2

The range on Engenius is great. But correct siting of the transmitters is ALL.

For Norstar Companion you will need the following:
MICS XC Software, 1 Base Station, 1 pwr supply and 1-2 two 3060 handsets. DO not use the 3050 handset. Each Companion base station supports two mobiles. Each base station acts as a cell site and calls pass off from one to another. Several Base stations may be co-located to create a cell site that supports many mobiles. With external antenna, the Companion has got pretty good range. Each base station contains two radios, each radio (not a mobile) has a port for an external antenna so you have a lot of flexability on how you deploy your RF pattern. You can make your own atenna from 'field tunable' motorola car radion antenna parts.
There is another product called ASCOM but I have no experience with this. It costs more than Companion.

Although Companion has been officially discontinued, there are still parts all over the country for it. I have deployed several and am satisfied with the quality (as long as the 3060 mobile is used). The 7316 works well enough and you can fool it into having more than 3 lines, the range is quite poor and not suitable for more than a small office. The 7316 is subject to mutual interferance from paging transmitters etc.
Another product called Mobicel works on a Cell site scenario. It's range is pretty good, the price is low and the handsets are fairly rugged with an NiMH battery. Each mobile can show up to 4 analog lines and intercoms between sets. There is no AA with this unit.
Voyager is like Engenius with better antennae systems available not just the one omni directional that Engenius supplies. Voyager has a Yagi directional that give one hell of a gain! There is also an AA in the Voyager unit so callers can choose the extention directly. Engenius and Mobicel have to go through ATAs or Analog Ext Modules with the AA in voice mail or CICS.

Hope some of this helps. ASCOM is supposed to be the up and comming thing but I think the expense will kill it.

PhM

In this case I would go with the Companion then....btw Nortel decided to NOT discontinue the product a few weeks after they made that stupid decision....wth were they thinking?.
Arr..I assume you ment the T7406 cordless sets and not a 7316?

Curly,
Yes I meant the T7406. But your comment that Companion has been recontinued I have not heard. Can you elaborate???

PhM

All I know ios that they said they will discontinue the companion at the end of the year or in a year when they dropped that bomb and then just a few weeks went by and the withdrew that statement...must have been an outcry as to why they would have done such a stupid thing lol.

Curly,
I have some indication that a third party has picked up the product. Can you confirm?

PhM

Just a little note for you folks regarding the Companion systems and requirement for keycodes, etc. If you don't want to be bothered with the hassle and expense of the keycoding... simply search out and install the Canadian 900MHz version of Companion equipment. As long as you use only Canadian phones, Canadian Base Stations and the Canadian version of the MICS XC software (you can't mix and match) the system will work just fine in the US, and there are no keycode or UTAM requirements at all. I don't know how much the Canadian 900MHz vs the US 1900MHz makes a difference to performance or range... but it does get you around the UTAM keycode/licensing issues.

Cheers,
>>>>> Mike <<<<<

Hello,
I have installed several Spectra Link systems to Norstars. They work very well. They have a huge range out of one base unit. I believe you can have four sets off of one base. They just use a port off the system.They are easy to setup and use. They also emulate a 7310 set. Also their technical support is very good.One other thing they have a built in modem so Spectra Link can get in and do programming and troubleshooting.
Dmac,

The Canadian Companion is effective but of such low power as to be difficult to deploy by non RF types. Only with the use of the 3060 handset does the system reach any sort of usable state. What the Companion has going for it is the external antenna ports to which you can attach really nifty high gain antennas. I build my own and have had really good success boosting the range with this method.

PhM

I am also looking to setup a companion system and wondering where the best place to purchase parts, accesories and the key regristrations. I currently own some 3060s, a rpi and 1 base station, but I am wanting additional base stations and looking for headsets, additional batteries and phone chargers. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back