Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I remove ALL the icons from my desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi420

Programmer
Jun 21, 2002
US
I like a minimalist approach to most things, so I like to keep all my icons in auto-hide toolbars or the start menu. Does anyone know how I get rid of all the icons on my desktop. I've gotten rid of I.E and my documents, but can't seem to find the option to get rid them all (i.e., My Computer, Recylcle Bin, etc). I know the option exists because I've done it in 98 and my XP machine at home, but can't find the option in 2000 Pro for the life of me. Thanks for your help. (^_^)

- Jedi420

You can hide them using TweakUI from Microsoft (PowerToys).

-Volkoff007

I don't think tweakUI will hide everything...but I remember seeing an option to hide desktop icons when it is set as "web view".

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Hi,

Right click on the desktop, choose property.

Go to tab effect, check the checkbox name "hide desktop icon when viewed as web page"

Thanks...

Hi ... That's the option I use on xp, but here what the effect tab looks like in 2000 PRO:

screen2.gif

The Hide Desktop option is not there. I dont know really where else to look ... any suggestions?

Thnx ...

-Jedi420

As Volkoff007 said - tweakui has option to hide some of them (think it can hide less of them than it can on 98 - on my current machine it can't hide My Computer or Recycle bin). Think you need a registry tweak (have you tried Google for this?). Win2k certainly doesn't have this option like XP (nor does 98) - have to be a registry tweak I think.

PS. x-setup from has some options here too. It also gives info about registry keys which are affected (eg, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace). Looks like various NameSpace keys may be involved, if you want to investigate further.

Thanks alot for the help, but I just know there is a way to do this through Windows without having to use any other programs are registry edits ... I'll keep looking ...

-Jedi420

There was an adm template policy setting in NT4 to "remove all desktop icons", used it frequently through Novell's ZenWorks for precisely this purpsoe....haven't got immediate access to check that there is the equivalent in 2K, but I'd be surprised if there isn't.

I'll post an update sometime within the next 24 hours.

RosieBsDad

Thanks ... there's no rush at all. It's just my personal preference to have no icons on my desktop. Perhaps your NT4 solution has application in Win2K. I look forward to your response.

-Jedi420

I use 2K and to remove my icons. I Wright click on My desktop and click on properties and then click the web tab, Then Enable Active desktop, then you close it, then Wright click on my desktop and click arrange icons by, then there should be an option for show icons on desktop unclick that and they should disappear.

AWESOME!!!! Small correction ... it's not in arrange icons ... its in active desktop after you right click ... but thank you so much ... thanks to everyone for helping out! I think it looks so much better having nothing on your desktop at all and just using custom auto-hide toolbars and the start menu. I really appreciate it everyone. (^_^)

-Jedi420

Looks like Jedi420 has a solution, but just for the record, here's the information I said I'd dig out - maybe more applicable to a larger corporate-type environment than an individual user.

There is an .adm policy template called common.adm (which appears to be the same for NT4 and W2K). If you use POLEDIT (or similar) and look in SHELL/RESTRICTIONS one of the options is to "Hide all items on desktop". This works a treat, and if you're really devious, you can hide the taskbar, the launch bar and using one of the shareware/freeware "Remove Startbar" programs, you can effectively have a blank screen!

Enjoy

RosieBsDad

rosieBsDad - yes for 2k, its in Local Group Policy editor (run gpedit.msc) - User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Desktop.

OK ... I did a refresh on my desktop (just for kicks) and it made all my desktop items reappear. When I right-click on my desktop and go to properties however, the web tab is gone. So I am at a loss at to how to get my web tab back so I make my desktop items disappear again ... any ideas?

-Jedi420

I'm not sure I’ve never had that happen to me. So I’m not sure what to do but ill talk to some other "IT" People that I know.

Have you tried that gpedit.msc I posted earlier?

I tried restarting and everything, but no Web tab anymore ... which I find incredibly odd. I do not wish to use any utilities to solve my problem, because I know there is a solution somewhere in XP ... I just cant find it :-\. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

-Jedi420

so - did you try gpedit.msc (its part of win2k - local policy editor, not a third party utility) - it has option to hide all desktop icons (I haven't tried it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back