Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i "ghost" a drive!!!??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpresley

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2002
US
I was told that there is a command IN windows, from the RUN command that will enable me to ghost the drive (make an exact duplicate). Anyone know what it is and how to do it?

Thanks!!!

Dave Presley
Pseudo Network and Systems Administrator
Thomas Jefferson, Premier and Air Academy High Schools

Dave Presley
Psuedo Network & Systems Administrator
Premier, Air Academy & Thomas Jefferson High Schools
dpresley@qwest.net

I think you are talking about that 'subst' command. All it does is creates another virtual drive that exactly reflects the specified root in given drive.

"Taxes are the fees for civilized society"

How is the Subst work?
Can you give me a simple example?

Thx alot

Jack

Another possibility is to use software such as PowerImage to make an image of the current drive you want to copy. Then use PowerImage again to restore the image to the partition (i.e. the other drive) you want it to go to. G'luck! :)

PS: There is no Freeware version of this software on the Internet so you must buy it and the license of course.

Jack, at a cmd prompt, type SUBST /?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Ghost is partition imaging software owned by symantec. Its not part of windows.

If you have ghost installed you could execute it from the run command (providing your paths are set correctly). The exe for the dos version i always use is ghost.exe.

I prefer using it with network boot disks for imaging and taking backups of machines before rebuilding them.

subst just maps a drive letter to a local folder.

I hear about people doing this all the time... lol but still cant find out how.

Anymore help? the SUBST command did nothing..

-dave

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

Dave, what exactly do you want to do?
Make a COPY of a disk? Is that it?
In that case, subst will not do anything for you, you will need the GHOST program, or DriveImage or any similar tool.

I haven't used the subst since windows 95, but it did create a virtual drive starting with given directory.
Maybe you can explain in detail what you want to do ?

"Taxes are the fees for civilized society"

If you're talking about creating an image to be cloned for mass deployment, it's sysprep. Sysprep is part of the OEM installation tools.

John
MOSMWNMTK

Are you looking for a windows command and not from any resource kit or third party software? vpkulas is right, we need more info from you otherwise you'll get more suggestions that you don't want to read:).

If u mean copy all ( system + programs ) togather to use them later u when u reformat u'r system and u have a network ... Win 2000 serv ... use unattended win prepation
( Sysprep )

You can do it from the Run line if you are running Windows 9x - but not if you are running NT, 2000, or XP. In Win9x, fdisk a blank disk and make it active, format the disk and install system files (/s), install the disk as a slave or on the secondary IDE channel, then type XCOPY /H/E/R/C/K/Y C:\*.* D:
The new disk is now a defragged clone.
I use Ghost on W2K. Sometimes need the /ftsv command line switch for success.

Hmm... lemme give some of those things a shot. I've ready a bit about sysprep, so i think i'll try that first.

I am trying to make an exact duplicate of everything on the drive.

Wish me luck!!

-Dave

THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP!!

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

Then why don't you configure drive mirroring, your 2 HDD drives will always be the same realtime/anytime. thread96-580961

Cause i am taking out the drive to stick in another computer.

-dave

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

Merry Christmas, if you are using XP, making an exact copy of the drive to run in another system will probably not work, because the new Microsoft anti-piracy feature built into the software will reject the new system as an illegal platform.

If the OS is NT Server, then you could just creat a mirror using the second drive, then break the mirror and move the second drive to the new system as the primary drive. Can do the same with Win 2000 Server, if the drives are the correct size (new one has to be as big or bigger than the original, both need to be dynamic drives).

Otherwise, you need to get the third party software like Ghost, to make the image, the Microsoft Sysprep only does part of the job, and if you are not careful you can destroy your original configuration, so take care and read up on it before you attempt to use it.

Good luck,

David

THanks man.. i am jsut trying to do it to a win2k drive. I'll heed the advice.

Thanks,

-D

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back