Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi Need Some Information On Cognos (Very Very Urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganapati

Technical User
May 9, 2001
GB
Hi,
I would like to know if i want to create some cubes from scratch and get the report, what ar all the things i need to know. We ar using Impromptu and Cognos Powerply for Analysis and Adhoc reports.

The Requirement is to support data analysis of product Sales, Quantities,costs, prices and margins and the analysis dimesion shall include customer, geography, product, externel sales employee, customer development manager and time.

Like this, there are few related requirements.
The relevant data's will be stored in a Database and it will be updated time to time.

How can we create a cube using Cognos Transformer and disply these?

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SKILL AND TYPE OF TRAINING A PERSON HAS TO UNDERGO TO SUCCESSFULLY CREATE A CUBE.

We are working on Windows NT platform with SQL as the DB.

If u require any further detail on this, please lemme know.
Expecting your reply asap.

Ganapati

Hi Ganpati

This is mukesh. Can we be a good friends and share our knowledge. I am working in Philips India Ltd as a DWA and MIS officer.

Well the data warehouse is implemented on MS SQL server 7.0 and the reporting tool we use is Impromptu and Powerplay.

Pls reply..

Well, mukesh, nice to meet u.. Hope u understood what i am looking for. I am a Software Engineer and rgt now i am into BIC(Business Intell Center) implementation for a client. For the proposal, we need to estimate the Skill and the amount of training required to implement.
And probably u can give an input as to how to create cubes from scratch using Powerply transformer and report using impromptu.

Get back with input soon,
Very much thanks
Ganapati

Hi ganapati
Well to create cubes u need transformer.
1. U can create cubes from either the databases that it supports or the iqd file that is a report in impromptu report saved as .iqd file.
2. When u start a new model in transformer u will get five windows: Dimension map, queries, measures and power cube.
3. In dimension map u design ur dimensions. Order of filed dragged is important.
4. The queries caontains ur table hierachy (like in ur database)
5. Normarly the integers data type fields come in the measures.
6. In powercube, cube will be crerated based on ur model.
7. U have to drag and drop fields from the queries to the dimension map ie ur the model ur creating.
8. U can also get custom dimensions like geography and time.

U can get traing at IIS infotech, they are cognos partners in training.

By the way whats ur organization name. What role u r performing in BI.
BYE
Mukesh

Hi Mukesh,
Thank you very much for your input. BTW i am working in Satyam as a Web Application Engineer. Well we ar implementing a product and the client needs Analysis reports. He is going to update the DB periodically with the relevent data.
I havent tried creating cubes from Transformer as I was not having proper documents to do so.
U can help me out if you ar free to do so. Anyway u can also give me as what are the skills required.

In case if i need to create cube from database.. what is the thing i shuld do? and how do i save the cube..

Thanks in Advance
Ganapati

Hi Ganapati & Mukesh,
It is really gr8 to hear to see the discussion. I have tried implementing cognos and little confortable in the same area. I have some doubts. Can U help me out.

1. Can I use the database table directly instead of going thro' Impromptu.(.iqd).
2. What is the use of Powerplay connect.
3. Did U try loading the cube in a Database??

Advance Thanx
Badhri...

Hi Ganapati...
Have you solved your problem... if not, perhaps I can asist you through this...

Thanks a lot warque,
that was a useful information. infact i am going thru this product for an evaluation. Since we have got Cognos already built in to the product for BI reports, switching ove to Databeacon is a risky task. Thats why i had asked a specific query on Cognos transformer and Impromptu.

Thanks a lot
Ganapati

To start up with Cognos (Imp or PPlay), you must first have the necessary ODBC driver... I assumed this is already in place as u mentioned your Cognos comes together with your ERP(?) system...
I would suggest you to start off with Impromptu, then save them as iqd files and use these iqd files to construct/design your power cubes...
how to construct your Impromptu Reports...?
First to create Catalogs...
Make sure you are in Admin mode... Open u your Impromptu, click on Catalog, select new... from here create your catalog and point it to the particular database...

to continue later.... do you need info as detail as this...? please response....

Can i join u

this is mkr

mkr1975@hotmail.com

Hi,

Well we are using Cognos Architect to build the required packages for Transformer. While just creating a cube in Transformer is simple, it is quite difficult to specify exactly what you want it to show, and the documentation that Cognos has is deplorable.

Personally, I think that you need to have 4 basic user groups... One is just someone who uses it, and that takes very little training (an hour). Then someone who works with it, which will take a bit longer. Then when you choose an administrator, there is an even steeper learning curve, so that will take quite a bit longer. Then the greatest amount of training, and by far the most difficult amount of training needed is for the sytem architect, who actually sets it all up. For this, it is best to have Cognos come in and spend a bit of time training him...

Hi,

Haven't been around for quite sometime

as UWTechie mentioned, there are a few training threads available regarding Cognos Usage. It all depends very much on the level of user (u defined).

the way I see it, users can be trained in house (save your cost). btw, ganapathi... are you the administrator in your organisation?

To optimize your Cognos performance, people from the Business side (in ur org) should assist in identifying the exact tables to extract. If not, processing time will be extremely long (u know how ODBC performs).....

anyway, just keep everyone posted on any dev.....

rgds

For goodness sake get a contractor in, its painful to see a cube being fumbled like this. Its a powerful tool, and needs someone who can build it.Your data needs to be as clean as possible also.
Get hold of Cognos or an IT agency and get someone in for a while.

hi friends
i can do all your requirements ...
Basically i am a Certified Data warehousing Professional
Bye
Venu

I dont want that my user should be able to Save/Save As or Print the report i.e i want to provide max. security to the report.

hi all,
This is Ganapati here...
Can anyone tell me if i define the user class in Impromptu and the same user class has to be maintained on the web in order to view the reports in Cognos web explorer. What is the configurations and settings to be done? I have Netscape Directory Server and Acess Manager.

Secondly what is the way in which i can publish an impromptu report (imr) on web? Does Cognos Upfront allows you to do so?

Awaiting your response..
Ganapati Bhat

TO have access to the cubes you need to link the user classes that can have access to the cubes while defining the cubes in Transformer.
There are 2 ways to publish reports on the web.
1. A report that has been generated can be published as a document, in upfront
2. A report that can be run dynamically can be done using IWR reports. But you should be cautious about this option since you need named licenses for everyone who would be executing the report.

Yes I understand that, but can i publish the IMR file directly to the upfront, if i publish the document on upfront, is it possible to keep the user access rights? Is there any settings required to do so?
Second option you mentioned sounds good... but is IWR is the same as the one published as HTML? what is named licence?
Can you tell me any online book which describes the full implementation of COGNOS Reports on the web.
Thanks again
Ganas

Hi Ganas,

I'll answer only one of your question :

Publish IMR directly in Upfront : No it's not possible until next release of Impromptu Web Reports (6.7 I think... this release will be integrated with upfront the same way PowerPlay is ) . But, there is a workaround : you can add a newsitem to upfront (url) that point to your report , the format is like this : (replace yourserver and yourreportid by the right value ...)

Your will find the report id in the IWR Report Administration.

Hope this help!.
Steve

Hi everybody

I had posted a new thread for obtaining information on Cognos Transformer. I need to know whether it is possible to get connected to Databases like Oracle and Sql Server directly from Cognos Transformer and create PowerCubes. It seems pretty odd that you have to get connected to impromptu and create iqd package to create the Powercube in Transformer. I am right working on Datawarehousing project using Sql Server Olap services. So I would like to know if i had to migrate to Cognos platform were should i start from . Anyone is there to help me on this

Regards
rvraman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back