Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi All, problem with Symantec Backup Exec and Mcafee ePolicy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglass01

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2007
US
Was wondering if anyone esle has run into the issue, this is what I sent Mcafee, but doubt I'll get much of an answer back...

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Based on everything I am finding on internet, many people have the same issue, and yet there seems to be no solid resolution, or at least one that I can get to work.

It seems that Norton/Symantec says to try and disable your service, if that works, then contact Mcafee, so here I am, contacting you.

Basically, we are using Symantec/Veritas Backup Exec Version 10d and EPolicy Orchestrator 3.6.1.166

On mosts ervers, we are having no problems backing up the system state, but on at least one or two windows 2003 servers, running ePolicy agent, we are getting failures when backing up the system state. I have now determined that it is caused by the EPolicy blocking the backup, because if I disable the epolicy access protection on the server, everything works fine, if I turn it back on, it fails again, so it is reproducable.

What I am trying to find out, and cannot get a good example, is how to allow the Symantec Backup Exec remote proccess to run unimpeded, i.e. run without having a failure caused by the ePolicy.

I keep trying to setup access protection rules (to allow beremote.exe), but either I am doing it wrong, or something else is occurring that I am not aware of.

Could you please point me in the direction of a knowledge base article that describes the issue, and how to fix it, or could you possibly explain how to fix it, so that we may perform successfull backups of the system state, without ePolicy getting in the way, and causing the backup to fail?

Jay

Jay,

Try this:

Under 'On-Access Low-Risk Processes Policy' add BPCD.EXE and BPTM.EXE.

We did this on the advise of Veritas.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

ehhh, still not working. Added to policy server machine, and sent wakeup to agent, but cant tell it has been applied.

I added beremote.exe, bpcd.exe and bptm.exe

both to server and workstation.

Do you know how I can tell if it has been applied? Not sure where on machine assigned to, that I can tell. I have console open on that machine, but eluding me where it would show what I added, to verify it got the policy.

There were no other settings needing to be applied, just add those and that was that?

Thanks Jeff

Jay

ahh, found it, they are there, but still not working

for low risk proccesses, do I need to deselect/uncheck

"when writing to disk" or "when reading from disk"

nothing shows in log, when I attempt the backup, i.e. log on end pc trying to backup.

No, I would leave those checked.

So there is nothing in any event log or McAfee's logs to indicate an error, it just does not back up the system state?

Is the backup successful on other W2K3 boxes? Just trying to narrow this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back