Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey, clipper programmers !!! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAstrada

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
For years Clipper was OUR language proramming tool.

But now is March 2001. Windows came to this world to stay......for years. And visual languages came to this world to stay.........for years.

What can we do ? Vb ? don't like. Visual Fox ? nice!!, but the things goes far away: The Web, that seems to be the "environment" for all thing that we must do.

But, the answer about what tool, or tools to "catch", seems, to me, for years a Clipper developer, a "black hole" in the mind.

I'd like to learn about yours options !! regards. Gustavo.

Dear Friends

I want Clipper S/w. So, Please tell me from where it can be downloaded.

thanx

I guess everbody will burst out to other ways based on the truth that Microsoft would kill DOS application.

anyway, windows themselves would have some problem that requires you to upgrade your hardware rather than they upgrade the windows speed.

Well, depends what type of program you all interested to write, and based on what features your programs has, that is the for the selling point. Unless you write for graphics application. It's our program that the customer facing everyday. Windows programs tends to have the following symtom :

1. next upgrade won't be using this command
2. next upgrade will have this command back
3. next upgrade the command change to another command.
4. next upgrade command1 + command2 will be command3.

As windows will upgrade their way, and you will have to stay consistent to theirs requirement.

that's why so many type of programs would be specifically for windows95, windows98, windows98se, windows ME, windows 2000, or windows XP. If your programs you are writing is using system files, you would have different type of your version for your program then, in another words, your program have to follow and depends for Windows have.

I guess everbody will burst out to other ways based on the truth that Microsoft would kill DOS application.

anyway, windows themselves would have some problem that requires you to upgrade your hardware rather than they upgrade the windows speed.

Well, depends what type of program you all interested to write, and based on what features your programs has, that is the for the selling point. Unless you write for graphics application. It's our program that the customer facing everyday. Windows programs tends to have the following symtom :

1. next upgrade won't be using this command
2. next upgrade will have this command back
3. next upgrade the command change to another command.
4. next upgrade command1 + command2 will be command3.

As windows will upgrade their way, and you will have to stay consistent to theirs requirement.

that's why so many type of programs would be specifically for windows95, windows98, windows98se, windows ME, windows 2000, or windows XP. If your programs you are writing is using system files, you would have different type of your version for your program then, in another words, your program have to follow and depends for Windows have.

Web application would be nice to follow. you can use it in Netscape, or Explorer ...and as well for internet usage.

There is one thing for sure....

1. you follow what people's requirement
(microsoft each windows requirement,
the platform customer using)
or
2. to ask people to follow your advise.
(people refer you to be a consultant or professional,
you make the decision.)

which side you choose will be the way of either you still to continue using Clipper or to replace Clipper.

for me,

it is like choosing MSDOS and WINDOWS concept.

MSDOS features :-
1. speed of booting and programs
2. save of harddisk space
3. speed of the program

WINDOWS features :-
1. graphics
2. fonts

Depends what type of program that you are prone to write.
Each of the stated features will be the weakness for the other. Think about it, which is your main concern.

Fivewin ( is the very best choice for migrate DOS Clipper Application to Windows, is the most professional way.

Fivewin is the fastest and easiest way to build bussiness applications for Microsoft Windows using CA-Clipper 5.X

Fivewin is the true Clipper for Windows !!!

It's Amazing

Download one demo of my comercial Application for Insurance Brokers (in spanish, sorry) made in Clipper/Fivewin at:
I can help you

Best Regards

jtarre@cantv.net

Well, my friends, and now (things go in a fast way ), what to do with new .NET technology?? I've stated formerly that the WEB seems to be our environment way of development. No idea about .NET .

Your points of view ??

thanks !!!!!!

I love clipper, I have been using it for 9 years. But, as all of you guys know, I have to migrate, which I really don't want to do that, but I have to.
So, I think db2k is good choice Database applications.

Thanks .......
Long Live Clipper

afzaldar@hotmail.com

I work as a Clipper programmer, well, FlagShip, which is a new language that supports Clipper source code (if you use some ifdefs you don't need to change anything). FlagShip also supports web development, which I'm working on too.

The Brazilian company which resells FlagShip is INSO ( I don't remeber the German Company name which makes FlagShip.

Oh, by the way... FlagShip runs on Linux and some other plataforms (not sure if on windows too).

Anjo_Malvado , you are just hitting the point of this forum: the future of language like Clipper, and the Web.
That's seems to be the future environment of developmet.

Tell us about this.
(of course, I'm not "linked" with Microsoft, and I like projet like Linux, and , as example, "harbour project": a free source code for Clipper).
Thanks in advance.!!!!

Gustavo.

Hello Team,

Have successfully now migrated several applications from CLIPPER to XBASE++. No problems (other than the need to replace my old dBase *.FRM reports with proper code).
Now these WIN32 applications are running smoothly under WIN95, WIN98, WIN2000 and WIN-ME.

My main focus now is to learn how to use the GUI options
and create reports with fancy fonts and graphical logos.
I have asked Roger Donnay (author of XPRESS++) for some assistance, so I should be able to report some progress here very soon.

It's pretty exciting what ALASKA are providing with XBASE++
especially the WEB-based programming and AES encryption.

Cheers,
Jim

It seems like there are a lot of ways to go to replace Clipper. One thought stands out with me and that is that there needs to be some investigation into what development languages will stay the course. It seems that even staying close to companies like Microsoft that there is still danger of lack of support and obsolescence.

Is there a computer god we can pray to? [ponder]

Have a look at Harbour and XHarbour, both on You get all the sources of the program too.
Basically it is a clipper code to c translator which easily compiles with free public domain c/c++ compilers.
It runs both under Windows and Linux

Rob.

For the person who could not open more than two files at one, please take at look at a windows file located at
c:\winnt\system32\config.nt
If you dont have it, then create it and add the following lines:

FCBS=32,32
DOS=HIGH, UMB
DEVICE=%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\HIMEM.SYS
FILES=199
BUFFERS=80

This solved my problems. Now we are going to Windows XP and guess what? This file is again in the Windows XP directory. All my code works under XP.

By the way I forgot to mention that I have a "Clipper" program I wrote in 1991 that is still running today 12 years later. It has survived the following os:
MS-Dos 5.0
Ms-Dos 6.2
Win 3.0
Win 3.1
Win 95
Win 98
Win NT
Win 2000
Win XP
Kind of makes you wonder whose software is the more stable?

I recommend using xBase because we converted 11 meg of clipper code in a matter of hours into Alaska xBase then in a couple days we added a ton of functionality line migrating info directly into xbase and other things.

Some Links To Check
-----------------------
Richard L. Hankins Jr.
Senior Programmer
Auction Services, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back