Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey, clipper programmers !!! 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAstrada

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
For years Clipper was OUR language proramming tool.

But now is March 2001. Windows came to this world to stay......for years. And visual languages came to this world to stay.........for years.

What can we do ? Vb ? don't like. Visual Fox ? nice!!, but the things goes far away: The Web, that seems to be the "environment" for all thing that we must do.

But, the answer about what tool, or tools to "catch", seems, to me, for years a Clipper developer, a "black hole" in the mind.

I'd like to learn about yours options !! regards. Gustavo.

Visual dBASE 2000 check dbase.com or maybe PHP and MySQL

Did you try xBase ++ from Alaska? I think it is a good path to go into Windows arena, so give it a look at the Alaska software home page, try it and share your opinion with us!

Oh, I almost forgot it, there's an open Clipper compiler named Harbour, multiplataform, source code included, GNU, etc.
Give a look at
I recently download the binaries and Im doing some testing, more of this in a couple of weeks...

I've been using Clipper and FiveWin for over 4 years now and it is great. You can still use clipper to do all the grunt work, opening files, reading, writing, anything that clipper does now, and use FiveWin to manage all the windows stuff. This creates true windows programs.

Has anyone used DB2K, the most recent version of Visual dBase?

Try xbase++ I did the whole conversion in 3 days and haven't had very many problems. Xbase is a little stricter with sloppy code but I haven't found them wrong in anything yet. The exes generated usually are 3x the size of clipper apps but don't run any differently. Some things are actually faster. Your conversion experience will depend on how well your code is written and how many external libraries or "non straight clipper' functions you may use.

You can move your apps to gui after you convert them. There are tools available to do this.

Bob V

Many Clipper programmers have moved or are moving to Delphi. It's a more natural fit for most of us than VB and the like. And learning Delphi is fun!!!

We are moving our applications (1 at a time) to Alaska's XBase++. With the Express++ library it is very Clipper 5.2e compatible and the transition is relatively easy.

A few third party library features we have used have slowed down progress a bit, but do not appear to be insurmountable.

I like Xbase++. The developers and their enthusiasm reminds me of the good old Nantucket days. Get onboard with Xbase++ and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

John McDermon
Clipper die-hard since Winter'85.

After many trys to find 100% clipper tool is ending with Dbsee 4.6 for clipper. You must stop to looking and very fast start to use software with perspective. This is CASE tool for genereting clipper APPS in very fast time period. Trust me I use it. I rewrite all my favorite APPS in less than 30 days after I finish little course (tutorial) in this CASE. This tool write about 90% of code you need and very good. All you need is to insert some special code for special situations in you program. now have Dbsee for Alaska which create clipper APPS which you can compile for DOS or for WINDOWS in 32bit. Isn't that great.

Listen, guys
Give up with these languages, like Clipper, Fox, Xbase etc
Go to Delphi, C#/C++ or VB# as .Net or (the best) to J2EE - that is the future for all of us.
Regards
Igor

Hey guys

I moved away from Clipper because Microsoft stopped shipping MSDOS and there were no clients available for DOS applications.

Everyone wants Windows based applications. So think before making further developments. Any way u would find c/c++ much easier if u use low level file handling in Clipper

Best of luck
s-)

Icici: sounds great. But in my minimal contact with C, y realized, that is not so easy, and easy to update, like Clipper apps.

In short. I agree with you that msdos will dye. But for Clipper developers, there will be some software that should remember we that old good Nantucket days.
Thanks.

Clipper Rulzzzzzzzzzz and Dos will not die soon (it will eventually)..

Long Live Clipper

Windows on Graphics, but depending from MS-DOS

Example:

Windows error show on MS DOS

WinME.
Back to Windows
||||________________

Only change interface user.

Yes, all sound that clipper apps in DOS shell will die soon.. What can we do ?

There are lots of different opinions out there...
I started using FiveWin 2 years ago and converted all my working systems (4 big ones and several small ones).
The startup was hard, but right now, the modifications and the new modules, I can do in less time I did with MS-DOS.
I found my way... and I hope, you all will find yours.
Regards
Sandor

Thanks, SANDORC. I know that many people had migrated (succesfully) to Fivewin. One of the alternate options: VisualFox, Clip4win, and the like. Perhaps my sceptic point of view is (after years of be in this job), is: support (in your case by Fivewin) ?, operating systems that not change every year. ? You know that for now we are in the hands of Redmond's OS.
Regards.

Must we forever be under Redmond's OS ?

No, look around: unix, linux and the like. please. "Black box" OS are "minimizing our mind"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back