Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with softphone and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewdown

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2006
US
I am able to see the call server from home while connected to my VPN. I can make calls and browse the directory without fail, but I cannot hear anything, no ringing, no voicemail, nothing.

I have a VCM and have this working with a vpn tunnel at 2 seperate locations, but none of which are using the softphone. They use a hardphone SW5610 without fail.

Any idea what is up with it? Or what to look for?

TIA

It's not a problem with your IPO.
Look at both your laptop and the desktop, compare what services are running.

The failed to register means it's has to do something with your laptop and the Com+ service. The soft phone uses Com+ to talk to the IPO.

The soft phone requires several services that must be running and set to Automatic.

Make sure that both the Com+ Event System service ant Com+ System Application are both set to Automatic and are running.

You can turn on debugging information by adding -debug in the command line prompt.
"C:\Program Files\Avaya\IP Office\Phone Manager\PhoneManager.exe" -debug

Rob

rdoubrava

Thank you! I had set COM+ System Application to Manual and had it running. I set it back to Auto and rebooted the machine, fired up the softphone unchecked 'enable voip' and then rechecked it and no error message this time!

However, default for both COM+ services are set to Manual, and only the COM+ Event System is running. Softphone is working on every machine now in the office with those services set to Manual.

I am going to test with the VPN now.

Man this is really starting to piss me off. Doesnt work via the VPN, we dont use Virutal Adapters so not sure if that has something to do with it.

But as soon as I tried to enable VOIP on the softphone while connected to the VPN the error message came back. Disconnected from the VPN got back on the inside network and the error message persists. Changed both services to AUTO and started them, rebooted the machine and everything is back to normal.

So something with my VPN is preventing the softphone from running in VOIP mode.

Alright so I got the logs from the VPN, xx.xx.xx.xx is my IP office switch, zz.zz.zz.101 is my VPN local IP.

Here is the log from the VPN:

Gatekeeper discovery found ip$xx.xx.xx.xx:1719
Gatekeeper discovered at: xx.xx.xx.xx:1719(if=zz.zz.zz.zz:1371)
Starting listener thread on Transport [remote=ip$xx.xx.xx.xx:1719 if=ip$zz.zz.zz.101:1371]
Appending H.225 transport ip$zz.zz.zz.101:1720 using associated transport[remote=ip$xx.xx.xx.xx:1719 if=ip$zz.zz.zz.zz.zz:1371]
Making request: registrationRequest
Sending PDU:

Then

Received PDU from incorrect host: zz.zz.zz.1:2506
Received PDU from incorrect host: zz.zz.zz.1:2506

Why does it look for zz.zz.zz.1??

ANy idea?

Thanks again.

This sounds like a VPN issue to me. What type of Firewall are you connecting thru? I had the same thing on a PIX and all we did was turn off the fixups. when it tries to register the H323 drops. That is why you get the failed to register. is you tunnel trying to NAt your connection?

We are using a netscreen SSG5, policy based crap (not my choice) and its definatly a VPN issue just not sure what. No NATing.

Although I do know zz.zz.zz.1 is a virtual IP that my co-worker setup for NSRP. But its currently inactive, so I am not sure why that IP is showing up.

when you connect is it comming up with 2 different addresses in the confim box? Maybe a route on the IP to get to the subnet of the VPN?
something like
x.x.x.0
subnet
VPN firewall
LAN1

substitute the remote IPs of your vpn for the X's

I tried that with no luck. I can ping my laptop (connected to the VPN) from the switch inside the network fine and vice versa. But as soon as I try to enable VOIP mode on the softphone it errors out with the same message.

kwing no, just 1 IP address in the box.

is it the IP of your local machine or is it from the VPN. The vpn should give you a second address. At least that is how i have always seen it work. When i connect to my VPN and then launch soft phone. i get 2 addresses 192.168.x.x which is my local network then i get 10.0.2.X which is my ip given from the VPN. I had done this once with a juniper and they had to change the VPn because it would never work with out handing out an IP. i think you need a different VPN from the juniper.

can you ping the IPO from the VPN tunnel i.e is this a routing issue?

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I really think you may need to rethink he VPN. I tried to get these to work for a long time and it never would. i think it has something to do with the IP not being given out. if you do get it to work please let us know how. I am starting to see more and more juniper out there.

Yes I can ping the switch from the VPN, so it doesn't appear to be a routing issue. Something to do with how the VPN is configured.

Like I said we dont use a Virtual Adapter so I am not given an IP that my computer see's. But if I run wireshark from the vpn and ping my work comp the IP shown is xx.xx.240.107 IP, which is a pool of IPs given out by the router but not seen from my laptop when connect to the VPN. I have a route setup for that subnet on the switch already. But it doesnt seem to make a difference.

Trust me I would have gone with a cisco solution if it were up to me, unfortunately it wasn't. If I am able to get it working I will most definatly let you know how I did.

I was experiencing a similar problem Avaya's IPSoftphone and changed the Login Configuration to Road Warrior and the Bandwidth Setting to Local Area Network. I was then able to get dial tone and incoming calls etc.

Not sure if this will help you.

Neil

I don't think its a VPN issue at all. I think your doing something wrong logging in. If it says Failed to login to IPO it probably sees the IPO (my guess). Do you have an IP extension created for this user? do you have a user created for this user? Are you using the correct password? If you try to launch phone manager without VoIP do you get a list of users?

Ron,
I had this same issue with this Juniper VPN. we could never get it working. We really didnt try that hard. All i could figure out was the VPN was not assigning an IP address to the client on the remote side. It seemed liek the IPO need a real address to send the traffic to. I could be completly wrong but once we changed the type of VPN everything fired right up like normal. I would love to see them get this working. we are starting to sell alot of Juniper and i am sure this will come up at some point.

Why does it have to assign an address on the reote side? I have my softphones set with a static ip on the network it resides in ( the ip on the pc ) am I missing something? The only time I have had an issue and could trace it to the VPN was cisco with the H323 fixups on. I know nothing about Juniper, but does it do stateful packet inspection the way cisco does? Can you have it leave H323 alone?

I am not sure. it is some kind of soft client that Juniper uses. This was going back a few months when we had issues. i spent some time on it with the customers IT guys and we could never get it up and working. THey changed it to a standard VPN and it worked right away. Maybe we just never spent enough time on it. it was almost like you were using your local LAN ip over the VPN. you would only get your LAN ip to come up when you had confirm IP checked. As soon as we got it to assign us an IP the poped right up and worked. We did have some H323 issues after we got it going but i forget what they did to fix it.

Success finally. However, not how I thought it would work. I got it working via the Safenet VA Adapter. However, at first I wasnt able to install it on my lenovo X60 laptop, it would throw a BSOD everytime I tried to install it. So I never thought to use the VA adapter again.

I called up Juniper they pointed me to a KB article regarding this specific issue and wallah, I was able to install it. Once I changed my policy to require a VA Adapter it worked like a charm.

So I that wsas the only I got it to work, with the VA Adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back