Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! What if it Still Won't Start Up!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digigirl

Technical User
Nov 23, 2002
US
Got the scary Grey screen this morning.

After many attempts, I got to Safe Mode. Took a quick look around to see if anything was a bit weird with any of my settings. Not that I could tell. And then I restarted my computer thinking that problems were resolved during the Safe Mode boot up repair.

BUT after shutting down and restarting, I couldn't boot up! It either turns on, and the screen doesn't light up so I don't know what's happening (doesn't sound like the processor is doing anything) or I get the Grey screen that tells me "Illegal instruction at %SRR0:00014200 %SRR1:01420000..
and Firmware prompts me to type "mac-boot" or "shut-down"

If I type "mac-boot" it starts to boot, but goes to folder and flashing "?" icon and just sits on that screen.

If I restart and stick in my Software Install and Restore disk and hold down "C", it'll start to boot, but it will tell me to restart the computer in the middle of it...

Then I start all over again.

I'm on a 4 month old Apple PowerBook G4. I haven't installed any extra hardware. And haven't installed extra software just recently.

I just turned it on this morning and there the scary grey screen was.

Any suggestions?

A 4 month old computer is under warrenty

1 800 MY APPLE

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Correction: My PowerBook G4 is 2 months old. I'm in a time warp!
(I just work too much) Maybe Apple hasn't worked all the bugs out yet with these new 17 inches, so I'll give em a call.

I can use Target Mode and Firewire connect to my laptop with my tower. I'll run some more diagnostics, but everything looks a okay so far. How abnoxious!

So, how did this turn-out for you? I'm comtemplating buying a 17", and would like to know if this was resolved to your satisfaction, and if you know, what the problem/fix was.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back