Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help understanding groups

sbankscharles

Technical User
Oct 8, 2023
US
In over 15 years of managing different IP Office I've only used sequential groups so I hope someone can (please) help me see the trees in the forest.
I have a system that I recently took over that was not managed very well. The complex I'm in has three different reception desks. Each desk has their own extension with the main number routed to a group. That group has the extension of each desk in the user list, which is the way I've always done my groups. The extension that the public uses to call a desk is not the actual extension of the desk. That extension is a group which then has the actual extension in the user list. Then, in the overflow are the two group extension for the other desks.

I don't understand why they would have used the overflow of a group instead of using the user list None of the senecios for using an overflow seem to apply to my situation.

Thanks

If I understood your description, it seems simple to me.

They've set it up so that a call for, lets say reception A, will ring the phone at reception A and stay there until any of the conditions for overflow of the reception A group applies.

With a single receptionist group, calls could have been answered by any of the receptionists. Fine if it doesn't matter at all which receptionists answers.

In the scenario with separate receptionists groups overflowing to each other, the customer must have felt some need to have particular calls answered preferably by a particular receptionist but with the other receptionists still acting as backup to each other to ensure at minimum a call was still answered even if the intended primary receptionist was busy or unavailable.

Th advantage of the overflow is adding phones to the ring.
After some seconds, the phone in the 1st group still rings, and one of the overflow group rings also.

If I understood your description, it seems simple to me.

They've set it up so that a call for, lets say reception A, will ring the phone at reception A and stay there until any of the conditions for overflow of the reception A group applies.

With a single receptionist group, calls could have been answered by any of the receptionists. Fine if it doesn't matter at all which receptionists answers.

In the scenario with separate receptionists groups overflowing to each other, the customer must have felt some need to have particular calls answered preferably by a particular receptionist but with the other receptionists still acting as backup to each other to ensure at minimum a call was still answered even if the intended primary receptionist was busy or unavailable.
I think MrFoof may have answered my underlining question. So, with overflow, the phone in the first group keeps ringing as well as in the second.
Sizbut, you have always been a great help to me and I appreciate it. Let me elaborate on what I first said because I don't think the groups are setup correctly.
This is a residential complex with three towers, each having it's own entrance with a desk [A, B, C] but all are connected. If someone calls the main number, it really does not matter which desk picks up the call. Typically, a call to desk A (for example) would be a resident in that tower calling for information regarding that tower: is there a package for me; I have a visitor coming etc. Another key reason is there are intercoms that people need to use to get into the building. Obviously, someone at Desk B cannot let someone into Tower A. Same goes for checking a package. If someone calls desk A and they are on the phone you would not want the call to go un-answered. Same goes for if the step away. Desk B or C could take the call and either take a message or send someone over to A and let a person in. Sometime, they will even forward the call back to A.

I like the idea that if you call desk A the phone would keep ringing but also ring desk B. If both Desk B and C are in the overflow, would it ring A, B and C then? So, the "No Answer" time is 15 seconds; Queuing is on with no limit; Overflow time is 25 and the mode is group. I admit I don't know enough to know if this is working or how to tell if it is. I'm hoping for clarity from you or this group because I will also need to explain to management.

Thanks
Charles

I personally prefer the "by call" overflow mode, so all calls are managed the same way.
In group mode, if there is 2 calls, both will overflow at the same time.

Assuming :
- Desk A group No answer timer is 15s
- Desk A group overflow timer is 25s
- Overflow group is sequential, Desk B, Desk C.

A call to Desk A will :
- Ring on A for 25s
- Ring on A and B for 15 seconds
- Ring on A and C for 15 seconds

Take attention of Group no answer timer in Replacement tab, which is a "Forward on no answer" that could forward the call to Voicemail.

I personally prefer the "by call" overflow mode, so all calls are managed the same way.
In group mode, if there is 2 calls, both will overflow at the same time.

Assuming :
- Desk A group No answer timer is 15s
- Desk A group overflow timer is 25s
- Overflow group is sequential, Desk B, Desk C.

A call to Desk A will :
- Ring on A for 25s
- Ring on A and B for 15 seconds
- Ring on A and C for 15 seconds

Take attention of Group no answer timer in Replacement tab, which is a "Forward on no answer" that could forward the call to Voicemail.
Mr FooF,

This is awesome and I really appreciate you taking the time to lay this out. When you say you prefer the "by call" overflow mode, are you referring to "Overflow Mode"? Mine is set to group at this time. What threw me off was both No answer timer and group overflow timer, especially since both were left at default. I guess there is no way for me to test this out to ensure it is working.

I have IPO 11.0.4.1.0 build 11 and do not have a "Replacement tab. Email is not setup but if someone doesn't pick up a call under this setup, we are in big trouble. Typically, only one desk gets overloaded either with calls or handling things at the desk. They do sometimes walk away for a minute, although they are not supposed to.

Thanks again
Charles

Mr FooF,

This is awesome and I really appreciate you taking the time to lay this out. When you say you prefer the "by call" overflow mode, are you referring to "Overflow Mode"? Mine is set to group at this time. What threw me off was both No answer timer and group overflow timer, especially since both were left at default. I guess there is no way for me to test this out to ensure it is working.

I have IPO 11.0.4.1.0 build 11 and do not have a "Replacement tab. Email is not setup but if someone doesn't pick up a call under this setup, we are in big trouble. Typically, only one desk gets overloaded either with calls or handling things at the desk. They do sometimes walk away for a minute, although they are not supposed to.

Thanks again
Charles

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back